Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should return punts for the rest of the season?
J. Mathis 36 61.02%
D. Davis 2 3.39%
V. Morency 13 22.03%
Other: Gaffney, Armstrong, or DROB 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Who Should Be our PR

I am not convinced that Mathis should be returning punts. I love him as an electrifying kick returner, as we all do, but I am worried about him getting his head taken off shaggin' punts. I don't think he looks too comfortable back there, and he has a little trouble adjusting to the ball especially in open air stadiums. While alot of this can get better with experience, I think he could use a little more time to develope this skill.

I am not to big on DD pulling punt return duty either. He needs to keep gas in the tank for the ensuing offensive drive.

I would like to see Vernand Morency get the job, he has good hands and knows how to get North and South. And since PBuc is out, what about DROB he has sure hands, he's fast, and is extremely atheletic. It would take alot of reps in practice, not sure if he has ever done it? And I am not saying it would be worth the risk of injury, but it would be intresting. If not DROB, how about GAFF or Armstrong?

For the remainder of the season, I would vote for Morency.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 12-16-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Morency and I agree with your post except that I wouldn't want to risk getting one of our best players hurt returning punts (D-Rob). DD can handle it (a little more weight), but you're right, it tires him too much. Besides, it stands to reason that Morency would be better at that one thing than DD (speed).
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i havent been overly impressed by mathis or p-bust as the PR. that being said, i always prefer proven consistancy. i'd gladly trade a 4th string left guard to have jj moses back. safety and consistancy as a starter, even though situational, means more to me than saving a roster spot for a 750K backup that'll see 10 snaps a season if he's lucky (and someone's injured). i didnt, but i'd vote other.
Old 12-17-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would try to get Mathis more experience returning punts whether it be game/practice situation and see how he works out, we know he has the speed.
Old 12-17-2005   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday, Jerome Mathis was placed on the IR list when he forgot to call for a fair catch on a punt reception and was struck hard, sending his head bouncing into the endzone behind him. Bob McClain has found a Dr. somewhere in eastern Europe who believes he can eleviate this unfortunate situation--one Dr. Frankenstein.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Mathis returning punts, he's done well most of the time and I want to see what else he can do.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to make sure that any DB or WR we acquire through draft, FA, or trade needs to be a PR as well. I think it is pretty safe to say that PSuch will not be here next year.

As for now, I don't want to risk any starters for next season so I would put in someone like like that Quincy Morgan guy we just signed.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2005   #8
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I want Mathis returning punts, he's done well most of the time and I want to see what else he can do.
Me too!He is the only TD threat that we have right now. My God he's just a "rookie" give him some time to develope. He is super fast and elusive. Don't think that too many rookies has 2 TDs under their belt. He also put us within FG range giving us a chance to tie the game last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Me too!He is the only TD threat that we have right now. My God he's just a "rookie" give him some time to develope. He is super fast and elusive. Don't think that too many rookies has 2 TDs under their belt. He also put us within FG range giving us a chance to tie the game last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby 119C :brickwall
Very true and a valid point of view. I would just hate to see Mathis get hurt between now and when he is a little more comfortable returning punts. He can only get better with experience and deserves the time to develope. All I am saying is I just don't want to lose his HOMERUN ability on kick off returns.

Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Mathis could develop his hands if that's a problem. I don't think it is, but some do. He can make too many things happen not to use him there. Nobody else has the speed except for DROB. The only other person you might want to try, strangely enough, is AJ. He can take a hit and keep on ticking.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

And maybe returning punts can help him learn to catch the ball better.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Doesn't seem like Mathis has great instincts on PR. He seems to be pretty good when he gets a running start on KR and can just blow by people. On PR people are getting right in his face when he is catching the ball and he is running backwards in order to generate some speed. This is leading to some serious negative yardage.

Therefore, I would have Morency return punts because he isn't doing anything else. What about Hollings? He is fast and he is just collecting paychecks by sitting on the bench. Why not give him a shot at it. It's not like we have anything to lose...Except the first pick.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

Capers
Old 12-18-2005   #14
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Very true and a valid point of view. I would just hate to see Mathis get hurt between now and when he is a little more comfortable returning punts. He can only get better with experience and deserves the time to develope. All I am saying is I just don't want to lose his HOMERUN ability on kick off returns.
I agree with ya!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
Old 12-18-2005   #15
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Mathis could develop his hands if that's a problem. I don't think it is, but some do. He can make too many things happen not to use him there. Nobody else has the speed except for DROB. The only other person you might want to try, strangely enough, is AJ. He can take a hit and keep on ticking.
Ibar,

I too agree with you 100%, but would hate to see such talent as DRob or AJ get beat up or injuried for just 1 play( returns). They are way too valuable where they're at>

Bobby 119C:brickwall
Old 12-19-2005   #16
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Capers returning with Casserly the lead blocker.
Old 12-19-2005   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

They put Morgan back there a couple times yesterday, but I think both were inside the 10, so he let them go over his head, as he should. I have no problems with them trying him out back there. He may do well and .... <sounds bad> ... he's more expendable than Mathis at this point.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Yesterday, Jerome Mathis was placed on the IR list when he forgot to call for a fair catch on a punt reception and was struck hard, sending his head bouncing into the endzone behind him. Bob McClain has found a Dr. somewhere in eastern Europe who believes he can eleviate this unfortunate situation--one Dr. Frankenstein.
I understand the other team covered this fumble and scored 6. At least we have a probowl player to build this team around. Forget Bush, Feguson etc. Get some heavy duty special team blockers and go all the way!
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #19
Mathis13
Veteran

Stick with mathis... he just need sto work on his hands and i believe he'll one of the best in football
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read