Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watch out for HB-Jason Anderson

Spider_20

Practice Squad
In his first day of texans training camp jason anderson was the most surprising of all the texans with his bursting speed his size and his quick cutback to me this guy sounds like he could be surprise player to make the texans 53 man roster.Jason babin is also havin a great first day training camp and everyone was a little surprised of his burst of speed off the edge puttin a good amount of pressure on the quaterback quite often.

He sure has created a small buzz on the first day of camp. I'm not going to get too high on backs until I see them against live, agressive tackling though. Backs tend to look good in early camp practices.

anderson is going to have more than one good practice before i get to excited. Most guys who are signed as undrafted rookies have the physical talent to do that. He is going to have practice well and play well in at least a couple of preseason game before i think about him and the 53 man roster.

If we get lucky, he may be what we are looking for in a power back and then it's goodby J. Wells.

Jason Anderson is listed at 6'0" 205 per this website

Remember Davis is 5'9 (maybe) and 215-220...He is short not small. He is roughly the build/size Holmes, E.smith, Tomilson none of whom has an issue in short yardage. No Davis won't plough over many on 4 and 1, but success on short yardage is often as much about attitude, determination, hitting the hole quickly and breaking that first tackle all of which are strenths of DD.

__V__ said:
He sure has created a small buzz on the first day of camp. I'm not going to get too high on backs until I see them against live, agressive tackling though. Backs tend to look good in early camp practices.

It might have been a one day thing, i'll let you know what I see out of him today. He's got the size, power and speed to make the team...I wouldn't want to be the one to say "you cant make it"

I'm glad he's doing well but some people had Michael Jenkins and JJ Moses going to the Hall of Fame after a couple practices the last two years. Let's see where he's at come the end of August..

Same here. Just look for a 'slightly' overweight guy old enough to be your Dad (and then some), wearing a white Andre Johnson jersey...

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
Where did he come from? Was he a undrafted FA?? In my NFL Preview(ATHLON) he is not listed on the roster.

He was in NFLe and had 45 rushes for 161 yards and a 3.6 yard average. 17 yards was his long run. South Dakota product.

Its always good to see someone that you dont expect stand out, if he continues to improve an impress maybe he will end up being worthy of a big trade or push Hollings for time, though I doubt that he will end up being that good ints always nice to be optimistic.

If memory serves, he was also used as a kickoff returner and was on injured reserve for part ot the NFLE season. I looked at all the Texans players in NFLE once upon a time but threw away my notes.

I feel the same way as BO does. I would not read too much into his performance in camp. If he does well in games I will start to consider the guy as more than a long-shot. Heck he only averaged 3.6 ypc in NFLe

texansfan88 said:
have you bee nto the practices? your statement has very little backing if you haven't been there

I have been following the NFL for 28 years and know a thing or two about roster limitations.

Anderson only averaged 3.6 yards a carry against NFL Europe competition. Even though there are many reasons why his average isn't just about him (the quality of his line, the quality of his QB, injuries, etc), I doubt very many NFL backs would have a problem running for 4 yards a carry in NFL Europe.

The Texans already have D. Davis, T. Hollings, and J. Wells at halfback with NFL experience. Davis and Hollings are definitely going to make this team.

J. Wells is a favorite whipping boy of many Texans fans (including me), but the fact is that he has played for 2 years and has made himself a pretty good special teams player. He also has bulked up in the off-season (to 240 lbs) to compete for the short-yardage role.

The Texans broke camp last year with 4 HB's (Mack, Davis, Hollings, Wells) but realisticaly only used 3 each week. In the first 8 games one of the HB's was inactive in five of those games (1-Wells, 3-Davis, 4-Hollings, 5-Wells, 6-Wells). Mack was injured and either inactive or on injured reserve the last eight weeks of the season. Even then, Davis was inactive in game 13 and Hollings didn't play in game 16. So the Texans only used 4 HB's in 3 games last year (Games 2, 7, 8).

Also, last year G. Comella was the backup fullback but wasn't used very much at all. He only played in 5 games (Games 2,3,4,13,16) and was on the inactive list 10 times. The only time he was active but didn't play was week 7.
Things will be different this year with J. Baxter back from injury. He will fight with Norris for the starting FB job and with Wells for the short yardage back, as well as contribute on special teams.

The importance of Baxter in this year's HB situation is that with Baxter on the roster, I think the Texans will only carry 3 HB's this year coming out of camp. Baxter gives the Texans added flexibility as someone who can play two positions (HB and FB) plus contribute on special teams. Remember, Baxter played RB in college in a one-back offense and has experience carrying the ball. Coming out of college, Baxter was considered by some scouts to be the best short yardage back in that draft.

The Texans will probably use the roster spot that was used last year at HB (at least for the first 11 games until Mack was put on the IR) for another position such as WR, where there is pretty tight competition for roster spots and there are several youngsters with good potential (S. Thomas and K. Starling) who might otherwise be cut. I think most Texans fans would agree that Thomas and Starling have a better future with the Texans than does Anderson.

I might have been a little harsh in saying that Anderson has no realistic chance at making the roster. To make the roster he is going to have to beat out Wells for the third HB position. To beat out Wells, he is going to have to prove to be a better runner and at least as good on special teams. If he can do both, and if Baxter proves he can be the short yardage runner then Anderson will probably make the team. However, if Wells seems to be the best choice as short yardage runner, then the only way Anderson can make the team is to beat out JJ Moses and take his roster spot as the return man.

I have to go here...the people who are telling us to watch out for anderson are all really young. We veterans have all been through this drill, some long shot practices well and/or has a good game in preseason. the calls go out the guy is going to take a roster spot and get playing time.

The guy gets cut and his following screams that it is a mistake. At best he wanders around from practice squad to practice squad never to be heard from in any significant way.

9 out 10 out these stories end this way. Will anderson be the 1 out 10 that is different? Maybe. not going to start to have real interest until we get down to 65 and he is still there.

This sounds an awful lot like last year. The Running back better grab control of the return duties or he is not going to make the team. With Mack,Wells, and Hollings I just don't see the Texans carring four half-backs unless one of them is the full time return man. Davis was drafted strictly for return duties. The facts are that the Texans have shown they are willing to keep four half backs without one of them being the retrn guy. He has impressed the coachs. Therefore however unlikely, the coach's are going to give him every chance to earn a spot on this team. If his camp contimues at this pace we will see him on the sidelines for the Texans.

Jason anderson again has been showing promise being good at picking up blitzes he will be i guarantee it the surprise of the team this year..

Even if Anderson makes the roster I doubt we'll see him carry the ball in the regular season unless DD or Hollings is injured. DD sounds like he's in great shape for another successful year and the coaching staff seems intent on giving their 2nd round project every possible chance to prove himself.

Who knows maybe he'll get some carries in a preseason game and look like the next coming of Walter Payton, but I don't see a guy who averaged under 4 yards a carry in NFL-Europe running over the Ray Lewis's and LaVar Arrington's of the NFL.

I hope he makes the team. He has a wonderful story. You can't help but root for a guy that was at one point working in construction.

If he can hold on to the ball and get the playbook down - he'll have a very good chance to make the squad.

i wish him the best.

this does kind of remind me of threads about a RB from the CFL that was trying to make our inaugural roster. He had been tearing up the CFL & his agent was even pimping him on our board. I was certain he would be retained (he had shown some game @ camp) but....... he was cut.

Interesting comment was made by the HB coach. He said Anderson may be the fastest back we have. If the kid can make it work on ST, he just might make it and then have the time to grow into an NFL back. Could be a find.

I am impressed with him too, but I think its probably more likely that he'll be on the practice squad rather than #3 on the depth chart. He was described as a project, and usually the practice squad is where most projects end up till they realize their potential.

The texans might put jonathan wells at fullback and if they do then Anderson has a great chance to make the team but it might just all depend on if they move wells and wells is definetley big enough to be a fullback who can run and probably block pretty decent.

Fiddy said:
Wells isnt physical enough to be a FB...

That would mean he's probably not physical enough to be a short yardage guy either. Short yardage is the one area where I think our running game may still have a hole. It would be interesting to see how Baxter does in that role, don't you think?

Back