Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2005   #1
CyberTexan
Veteran

Default Anyone seen this Story ? about Wade Phillips

has anyone seen this story and NFL dot com :
SON OF A BUM

Now that Dan Reeves has been hired as a consultant for Houston, look for the Texans to grant a head-coaching interview to San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

Reeves and Phillips began working together in the 1980s in Denver, and each has a high opinion of the other. Reeves will be involved in the Texans' search for a head coach, and Phillips is anxious to become a head coach again, as he was in Buffalo.

A job in Houston, near where he grew up and has spent a considerable amount of time, would be the ideal fit for him. There is no job in football that Phillips would want more. And now that Reeves is in Houston, Phillips will have a staunch supporter in what was his long-shot attempt to land the job he covets.

heres the link http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9098421

I personally love the idea of having Bum Junior here in houston and it would get the Ticket sales back up as well

if anyone already posted this I apologize for the repeat
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #2
slyfox68
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTexan
I personally love the idea of having Bum Junior here in houston and it would get the Ticket sales back up as well
Ditto here. Maybe that Son of a Bum can finish what his Paw started and kick that son of a gun door in for a Houston Pro Football team!
Old 12-15-2005   #3
bigcarlos
Veteran

I would hope he does become our coach
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Would you still be thinking of him if his lastname wasn't Phillips?

He was not a very good HC in Buffalo, what makes you think he would do well here?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
You guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Would you still be thinking of him if his lastname wasn't Phillips?

He was not a very good HC in Buffalo, what makes you think he would do well here?
agreed, I want him in to way to be our HC. MAYBE as a DC, but only because he is familiar with the 3-4. He has not been very sucessful with it though.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #6
CyberTexan
Veteran

well as far as his head coaching in Buffalo in 1998 he went 10 and 6 , in 99 he went 11 and 5 , and in 2000 he went 8 and 8 so nobody said he was the total answer but nobody will try harder than he will sense he will have even more reason to kep this job being from the houston area .
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #7
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
agreed, I want him in to way to be our HC. MAYBE as a DC, but only because he is familiar with the 3-4. He has not been very sucessful with it though.
im curious as to who tought our OLBs to read and react instead of just rush the passer. it can create problems in some situations but im sure the possitives outweigh the negatives
Old 12-15-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns

Did he do a bad job in Buffalo? He finished 10-6, 11-5, and 8-8 while starting Doug Flutie and then Rob Johnson at QB. He didn't have Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. Nor did he have even Travis Henry to carry the ball.

Personally I find it kind of odd that they fired him after an 8-8 season. The team didn't get over .500 for another 4 years after he left. I think they pulled the trigger too soon on Wade and (If I was Bob McNair) I'd be interested in at least talking to him even if his last name wasn't Phillips. He's been a head coach before and he's won more than he's lost. Plus he coaches a heck of a 3-4 defense (which we have been assembling the personnel to play since day one).

I'd definitely give him a fair shot at the job.
Old 12-15-2005   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Did he do a bad job in Buffalo? He finished 10-6, 11-5, and 8-8 while starting Doug Flutie and then Rob Johnson at QB. He didn't have Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. Nor did he have even Travis Henry to carry the ball.

Personally I find it kind of odd that they fired him after an 8-8 season. The team didn't get over .500 for another 4 years after he left. I think they pulled the trigger too soon on Wade and (If I was Bob McNair) I'd be interested in at least talking to him even if his last name wasn't Phillips. He's been a head coach before and he's won more than he's lost. Plus he coaches a heck of a 3-4 defense (which we have been assembling the personnel to play since day one).

Now that is a dirty Avatar and should be respected. Wade Phillips name as HC should not be pondered without the effect of the late John Butler's influence upon that decade.
Old 12-15-2005   #10
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I personally would like the Texans to bring in an Offensive minded coach. If Wade Phillips does happen to get the head coaching job who could become the OC?
Old 12-15-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

ive said it a number of times.. but id like to see Al Saunders from KC.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be OK with Phillips, but no way he should be the favorite. Also, how are we gonna feel when ANOTHER Phillips gets fired. Eventually, these things tend to happen, I mean even if it's many years away.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if Phillips works well for us... I think he will have a pretty cushy job. McNair has said that he wants stability. He wants us to be like the Steelers.. keeping the same coaching staff for years upon years upon years... if Phillips brings this team around and we do well... I think he can expect to be here for Cowher-like durations.
Old 12-15-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Phillips should be able to finally get our 3-4 defense working.
Old 12-15-2005   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

...owner told Wade to fire a certain Coach-Wade refused and was 'toast'
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, granted you can say that what the owner says goes and I'd side with him if we were talking about Vic Fangio in a heartbeat. What I'm curious about is what kind of owner has an axe to grind with an assistant coach following a 29-19 run in three years? It's not like the team was losing or playing like the Houston Texans. That was three years of equal to or over .500 football.
Old 12-16-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

here is what I worry about hiring Wade as HC. Who is gonna be the DC? We have seen what Wade can do with a defense... but then.. we have seen what Capers can do with a defense as well.. and look what Fangio did to ours.

I hope that Wade would bring in someone who knows as much about running HIS defense as he does.
Old 12-16-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade is one of the guys I'd like to see come here. Heck, if you look at Bum Phillips (his dad) record it was only 23 - 19 his first three years coaching the Oilers. Bum went 10-4 then 5-9 and 8-6 before the team took off and battled the Steelers in back to back AFC Championships. Bum would have been fired by this message board when he went 5-9 and we would have never had the Luv ya blue era that was to follow.

I've posted this before but I will throw it down again...

Quote:
When the Chargers won the AFC West and qualified for the playoffs in 2004 on the heels of a 4-12 season in 2003, Phillips kept his streak intact of helping to turn teams with nonwinning records into playoff participants the following year. The last six times Phillips has taken over as a defensive coordinator or head coach for a team that had a nonwinning record, his new team went to the playoffs. The teams he helped turn around are Denver (defensive coordinator and head coach), Buffalo (defensive coordinator and head coach), Atlanta (defensive coordinator) and San Diego (defensive coordinator).
http://www.chargers.com/team/coachbio_phillips.cfm

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wade is one of the guys I'd like to see come here. Heck, if you look at Bum Phillips (his dad) record it was only 23 - 19 his first three years coaching the Oilers. Bum went 10-4 then 5-9 and 8-6 before the team took off and battled the Steelers in back to back AFC Championships. Bum would have been fired by this message board when he went 5-9 and we would have never had the Luv ya blue era that was to follow.

I've posted this before but I will throw it down again...

http://www.chargers.com/team/coachbio_phillips.cfm
Wade has shown an ability to lead a team, but his success was never out of the shadow of GM John Butler in Buffalo and San Diego.
Old 12-16-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Wade has shown an ability to lead a team, but his success was never out of the shadow of GM John Butler in Buffalo and San Diego.
That's that they said about Belichick to Parcells as they ran him out of Cleveland.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read