Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2005   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Face it, Reeves will be the next coach...

You mean to tell me Bob McNair hired Dan Reeves to come in, evaluate his team, tell him who needs to stay and who needs to go, and then exit stage left? PLEASE! He's just giving Reeves a head start to evaluate HIS future team. It will give him a much better chance to evaluate what he needs via draft and free agency this offseason rather than waiting until after the season is over. He'll get to see the players in action first hand.

I think McNair just has too much respect (or not enough balls) to fire Dom Capers. So he's kind of easing a new coach in I guess hoping Dom will resign. Reeves is no GM either, so I think either Casserly stays or we'll get a new GM. He's not there to take Charley's job.

And one final thought. McNair has maintained all along that he wants to have an "experienced" NFL coach. He doesn't want to bring in someone who has no NFL head coaching experinence. And Reeves fits that to a tee.

I'm not too terribly dissapointed about it. We could have done better, but we could have done worse (Martz or Mariucci). The only concern I have with Reeves is that he has a track record of problems getting along with certain people, but then again maybe that's what we need. A coach who's not afraid to get in someone's grill and ream them out of they screw up. That is a major flaw I see with Capers. He's way too passive of a coach for me.

So get ready for the Dan Reeves era to begin in Houston in 2006!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

All I can say is how depressing if you're right.
Old 12-14-2005   #4
yako0o
Rookie

Default Texans : KFFL

Texans | Reeves could be next coach; Hill in charge of personnel
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:18:55 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Dan Reeves could be the next head coach of the Houston Texans and Ron Hill could run their personnel department, probably as vice president of football operations. Reeves admitted Monday, Dec. 12, when owner Bob McNair hired him as a consultant to evaluate the team's talent that he's still interested in coaching if the right situation were available. Although McNair won't admit it publicly, when he shocked the NFL by hiring Reeves, he showed he has lost faith in general manager Charley Casserly. After the 2005 season, Casserly could follow head coach Dom Capers out the doo
yako0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Bob, and Dan said that he is not there to be a threat, or take either of those 2 jobs.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #6
Johnny Utah
All Pro

There will be a lot of pissed off fans, and non-ticket renews if this happens. With the media already ripping Reeves I see a real negative reaction by the fans.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

That is true, but I do think that Dan Reeves and Bob Hill could end up coming in as GM and vice pres. This would open the door to hire Kubiak at HC. It would be a good situation for our team if this is how it played out. Not sure if it would play out that way though.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2005   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

"Both Bob, and Dan said that he is not there to be a threat, or take either of those 2 jobs."

-ME

Why would they beat around the bush, or lie about it? If Dan was being considered for the job, why would they lie?

Also, I think that the only reason this is a big deal, is because its a past head coach doing the evaluation. Thats why they want everyone to be clear, that this is what he is here for.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #9
cadahnic
All Pro

Reeves will likely come in as a GM rather than HC. He would then use Bob Hill as his vice president over personel. Kubiak would then be the HC
Old 12-14-2005   #10
touttail
All Pro

Surely McNair can do better than Reeves!!!!!!!
I just can't make myself think that Reeves will be the next Texan coach!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I read that article, as well, and its hard to make much of it, because of the sour grapes obviously being poured forth by McLain. I was for Reeves long ago if you check my posts, but as an interim not this role. This muddies the water and I have personly been through this kind of nonsense. It ususally results in a complete house cleaning. I think McNair would have been better off to fire Capers and all his coaches except for perhaps Marciano and start evaluating the talent for the remainder of the season. After finding out how the talent was selected and of what quality it is or was, then a decision on Casserly would be made. I still think Casserly has been as much a victum of this coaching staff as anyone. I think Reeves brings and interesting mix to the team as a coach. He obviously understands the offensive side of the ball from all respects. If he picks up Wade Phillips then you have the defensive side taken care of as well. The big problem remains and will continue to remain until a good offensive line coach can come in and pick up the pieces. I still think we have more O-line talent than we think, but its never been healthy and never coached well.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #12
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Both Bob, and Dan said that he is not there to be a threat, or take either of those 2 jobs.
Of course he said that, they are trying to keep the natives calm.

Also, wasn't Reeves told before the season was over (@Falcons) that he was gonna be replaced then quit on the spot. How does he have the gall to accept this job knowing how it must feel. I'm glad the guy is here but c'mon, that's kinda crappy if you ask me.
Old 12-14-2005   #13
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
You mean to tell me Bob McNair hired Dan Reeves to come in, evaluate his team, tell him who needs to stay and who needs to go, and then exit stage left?
Yes. That is what I believe. McNair is not a football guy, and he doesn't trust what his own staff is telling him. He felt he needed a fresh set of eyes to give him advice on how to stop the hemorrhaging.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako0o
Texans | Reeves could be next coach; Hill in charge of personnel
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:18:55 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Dan Reeves could be the next head coach of the Houston Texans and Ron Hill could run their personnel department, probably as vice president of football operations. Reeves admitted Monday, Dec. 12, when owner Bob McNair hired him as a consultant to evaluate the team's talent that he's still interested in coaching if the right situation were available. Although McNair won't admit it publicly, when he shocked the NFL by hiring Reeves, he showed he has lost faith in general manager Charley Casserly. After the 2005 season, Casserly could follow head coach Dom Capers out the doo
The source tells me everything. I am not buying anything McClain is selling. I have never been a fan of a team that has a beat reporter more out of tune with the team that they are covering.
Old 12-14-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Reeves is not going to be the coach here, he may end up being GM which I wouldn't really have a problem with, that would pretty much guarantee Kubiak as head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
The source tells me everything. I am not buying anything McClain is selling. I have never been a fan of a team that has a beat reporter more out of tune with the team that they are covering.
I agree, I'm not sure I've read anything of McClain's that I could say was credible writing.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #16
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Let's face it, we're 3-5 years away from making noise in the playoffs. We'll be lucky if AJ is still on the roster when we make it. Take Bush, build around him, get a bada** MLB, build around him and let the waiting begin.
Old 12-14-2005   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
"Both Bob, and Dan said that he is not there to be a threat, or take either of those 2 jobs."

-ME

Why would they beat around the bush, or lie about it? If Dan was being considered for the job, why would they lie?

Also, I think that the only reason this is a big deal, is because its a past head coach doing the evaluation. Thats why they want everyone to be clear, that this is what he is here for.
Actually it gives McNair and out should either Capers or Casserly suddenly takes offense and resigns. It could happen, but Capers simply can't believe he can't turn it around. Casserly is the person who was most annoyed on the surface and the most likely to resign in my estimation. However, I believe Capers needs to leave immediately, but that is not what McNair is hinting at.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Reeves will be our next GM, and possibly Kubiak as HC. Not a bad combination, IMO.
Old 12-14-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I think Reeves will be our next GM, and possibly Kubiak as HC. Not a bad combination, IMO.
Why Kubiak? He is closer to Wade Phillips than Kubiak (if you are going to toss names out).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #20
cadahnic
All Pro

Mork I agree. I doubt Reeves comes in at anything other than GM or player personel man. Especially if we get Kubiak who does not respone overly well to the media. You have a seasoned vet like Reeves to sheild him somewhat and Kubiak takes this team of talented young men out of mediocrity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read