Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2005   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Ah, Jimmy, we hardly knew ya--

Pro Football Talk, everybody's love-to-hate rumor mill, is "reporting" that it's source for the early [?] posting of the Reeves rumor was the SAME SOURCE as it had for the prior JJ OFFERED JOB & TURNED IT DOWN rumor. And that very same source is also now saying that JJ is talking to the Fords about the Lions job, which I know has been reported before, but is given slight additional credibility by the foregoing. Unless ALL of ProFootballTalk.com is like made up by the guy in the first place.

Still, it's a pi$$er that JJ would be interested in the Lions job and not the Texans job?

Last edited by Nighthawk; 12-14-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Fords have bigger wallets
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

They also have a lot more talent to work with up there than we do
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ford's Wallet.. if it is bigger.. isnt MUCH bigger. I beleive McNair is in the top 5 on the "wealthiest NFL owners" list.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

One question that I have not seen asked, and I do not know the answer, is whether or not JJ's network contract is up. He may be leveraging his past and the hype into a larger deal.
Old 12-14-2005   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
One question that I have not seen asked, and I do not know the answer, is whether or not JJ's network contract is up. He may be leveraging his past and the hype into a larger deal.
Clearly no one would go that far in getting a better contract!!
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know this for a fact but I would think Jimmy has some kind of "out" clause if he wants to accept a football coaching job. Just a thought. He'd make sure that FOX contract covered anything he wanted I'm sure.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2005   #8
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously the Fords own Ford. But what is it that McNair did or does to get his riches?
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #9
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
Obviously the Fords own Ford. But what is it that McNair did or does to get his riches?

Actually McNair is worth more than Ford. According to the Forbes 400 in 2004. McNair is # 165 worth 1.5 Billion Dollars and made his money in the oil and gas industry. He is a self made Billionaire. While William Ford Sr inherited Ford and is ranked #278 and worth 1 billion dollars.

As far as franchise worth. The Texans are ranked #3 in the NFL and worth $905 million and the Lions are worth $747 milllion and ranked #14.

I would say that McNair has the deeper pockets.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

McNair is not completely self made since he had family with cash already, but he built what they had and became a billionaire. Also in the franchise worth are the Redskins and Cowgirls above us. We are in one of the largest football markets. I would guess NE and SF would be somewere around the top also. Kraft has some deep pockets.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
McNair is not completely self made since he had family with cash already, but he built what they had and became a billionaire. Also in the franchise worth are the Redskins and Cowgirls above us. We are in one of the largest football markets. I would guess NE and SF would be somewere around the top also. Kraft has some deep pockets.
Don't forget Wal-Mart heir and co-owner of the Rams, Stan Kroenke.
Old 12-14-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh wrong.

McNair was poor before he was rich. He moved from Florida cause the business he was running there failed. He came here to start a trucking company.. i forget the details but the "basic" version is that his trucks did alot of hauling for oil and gas companies and such.. and then there were some big changes in the way energy is distributed in Texas.. and McNair found, from talking to his clients, that he could make a killing if he had a company that supplied energy at a premium to these big corporations.. so he did it.. and a few years later he sold the company for his billions.

So no.. he wasnt rich.. he didnt come from a rich family.. he made his money himself.
Old 12-14-2005   #13
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Pro Football Talk, everybody's love-to-hate rumor mill, is "reporting" that it's source for the early [?] posting of the Reeves rumor was the SAME SOURCE as it had for the prior JJ OFFERED JOB & TURNED IT DOWN rumor. And that very same source is also now saying that JJ is talking to the Fords about the Lions job, which I know has been reported before, but is given slight additional credibility bu tthe foregoing. Unless ALL of ProFootballTalk.com is like made up by the guy in the first place.

Still, it's a pi$$er that JJ would be interested in the Lions job and not the Texans job?
I wouldn't want "Mr. Cowboy" here anyway. I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich Houston football tradition of the past who would be fun to watch and support, such as Phillips (if McNair does fire Capers, which is not a sure thing).
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
Founded Cogen Technologies Energy Group, which was the largest privately owned cogeneration company in the US. Sold the company to Enron in 1999 for 1.5 billion.

Someone mentioned that his family had money but I don't believe that to be the case. He has talked about the poor neighborhood he grew up in, on several occassions.

Anyone know exactly how much of his own money he initially put into the franchise?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

If I remember correctly.. his family owned a diner. I remember him saying that he took sandwiches to the construction workers across the street when he was a kid.

I beleive he put up about 300 million of it.. but im not positive.
Old 12-14-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I wouldn't want "Mr. Cowboy" here anyway. I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich Houston football tradition of the past who would be fun to watch and support, such as Phillips (if McNair does fire Capers, which is not a sure thing).
Myself I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich history of the Super Bowl which has up until now not coincided all that much with the "rich Houston football tradition" aside from a couple of years where we hosted it.

I will not have a problem with Wade Phillips coming here to coach if that ends up being the case. I believe that given the same number of years that Dom Capers & Co have been given Wade Phillips would at least have an imposing defense in place if not a little more than that. Wade would be fine by me. Jimmy Johnson would really get me excited about where this team was going and I think build another winner.

I don't put a lot of store in what I read on profootballtalk.com and I'll believe this when I see it.
Old 12-14-2005   #17
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Myself I'd rather have somebody associated with the rich history of the Super Bowl which has up until now not coincided all that much with the "rich Houston football tradition" aside from a couple of years where we hosted it.

I will not have a problem with Wade Phillips coming here to coach if that ends up being the case. I believe that given the same number of years that Dom Capers & Co have been given Wade Phillips would at least have an imposing defense in place if not a little more than that. Wade would be fine by me. Jimmy Johnson would really get me excited about where this team was going and I think build another winner.

I don't put a lot of store in what I read on profootballtalk.com and I'll believe this when I see it.
A.) Switzer has a SB tradition -- you want him? Heck, even Billick has a SB under his wing. How about him? B.) Johnson didn't do so well in Miami. C.) We don't need the Cowboy "B" team here. We need a guy who knows something about the rich Houston -- not Dallas -- football tradition. The last person I'd want to see coaching Houston would be a Dallas guy. There is a strong contingent of Texans fans who despise the Cowboys. You would know that if you were there for the inaugural game. To bring a Dallas guy down here would be an insult to everyone who hates the Cowboys -- and there are plenty of us here who buy season tickets as well. Thank goodness, though -- it looks like that won't happen.
Old 12-14-2005   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
B.) Johnson didn't do so well in Miami.
96: 8-8
97: 9-7 *playoffs*
98: 10-6 *playoffs*
99: 9-7 *playoffs*
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #19
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
96: 8-8
97: 9-7 *playoffs*
98: 10-6 *playoffs*
99: 9-7 *playoffs*
Seems to me that you are simply making my point. Two 9-7 records and an 8-8 finish isn't very good. They made the playoffs simply because the other teams weren't very good either. Plus, they had a way of getting humiliatingly exposed in the first round of the playoffs. Also, Miami was hardly an expansion team when Johnson took over. He should have done much, much better with that team than he did. Looking at the records and his accomplishments, Johnson's time in Miami was far from successful.
Old 12-14-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course, Marino being on the tail end or past it of his career (see steadily declining completion %), had nothing to do with the Dolphins success during that time period.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read