Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Where Does the Majority of the Blame Lie?
Coaching (Capers) 45 61.64%
Personnel (Casserly) 28 38.36%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2005   #1
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Assign Blame: Coaching or Personnel?

I know we've argued back and forth all season, but I wanted to get an actual NUMERICAL count of where we stand.

I know neither the Capers nor Casserly is 100% to blame, but if you had to choose which was more to blame for the Texans' 2005 failure: coaching or personnel, which would you choose?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58811 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Coaching
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Coaching
I would like a combo vote, but as the people listed after the positions, I chose coaching
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

PBurnt , Babin , B.Joppru ,Tony Hollings , and lets not forget Tony Boselli ....Cut Aaron Glenn , Cut Jamie Sharper .....Need I go on ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #5
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I would like a combo vote, but as the people listed after the positions, I chose coaching
But what are the chances that it's a true 50/50 blame scenario?
Old 12-13-2005   #6
Gunbuny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
PBurnt , Babin , B.Joppru ,Tony Hollings , and lets not forget Tony Boselli ....Cut Aaron Glenn , Cut Jamie Sharper .....Need I go on ?
I have to agree with this statement. The move that screams inept front-office is P-Burnt. How is it that Raidah fans (I know a lot of them) knew he shys away from contact and can't cover but Casserly does not know this?? All he seemrd to care about is if this guy was going to get caught with 10lbs of pot in his car or kick his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs. This is important, but isn't it also important if the guy can play football?
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbuny
I have to agree with this statement. The move that screams inept front-office is P-Burnt. How is it that Raidah fans (I know a lot of them) knew he shys away from contact and can't cover but Casserly does not know this??
I don't think that we should have traded for him (or released Glenn), but the Raiders have long been considered an undisciplined team. Casserly thought that proper coaching would correct Buchanon's defects.
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Coaching.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbuny
I have to agree with this statement. The move that screams inept front-office is P-Burnt. How is it that Raidah fans (I know a lot of them) knew he shys away from contact and can't cover but Casserly does not know this?? ?
I think that shying away from contact is something most players who have been around awhile do. It's called getting older and wiser in life. Football is a sport for the young, this Casserly knows, and now he knows even better. I bet the experience with Buchanon will make him shy away from such contracts as well. Ask Deion Sanders, David Carr,etc....what happens as time goes on.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
Coaching.

Its kinda hard to win as a coach when you have no talent at so many positions .... Ill list the holes .... You all tell me what you think .

Center .... zero talent in S.McKinney ... Seems to think He's and the rest of the O-Line are MUCH better than they really are .

Left O-Guard .....Milford Brown ..... maybe a back up somewhere else ... probably not

TE ..... Mark Bruener .... couldnt catch a beach ball

WR ....Corey Bradford .... See Above
WR....Jabar Gaffney ..... Up one minute , Down the next

LOLB ...Jason Babin .... Lost his starter spot to a special teamer (Shantee Orr , who has played pretty well of late)

RLOB ....Antwan Peek .... Im not hearing how he needs more playing time now .... But I dont hear the play by play guy calling his name much either .

FS ....Marcus Coleman ... Lost his job to a rookie second day pick ....Between DUI's and not showing up for team meetings .... nuff said

RCB ....Phillip Buchanon ... Hurt , Benched , cant tackle , cant cover ... Maybe he should try Flag Football ?

If i left anything out ... fill in the blank .

Dont thing Vince Lombardi could make this team a winner with that many holes .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-13-2005   #11
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 28871 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

we need a "both" pick
Old 12-13-2005   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

By the way .... Im not real big on Capers , although I think he has the right general idea , run the ball well , control the clock , stop the run ... Not pretty to watch but its winning football .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari
we need a "both" pick
Why? Is the breakdown of blame:

50.000000% Coaching

and

50.000000% Personnel

?

I very deliberately left off a "both" option.
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
By the way .... Im not real big on Capers , although I think he has the right general idea , run the ball well , control the clock , stop the run ... Not pretty to watch but its winning football .
It's the "keep it close until the 4th quarter and then find a way to pull off the win" part that makes it impossible. That's playing not to lose, and it's a terrible philosophy. I'd say "just ask Mack Brown", but he won't admit it. He still credits better players with the team's jump from good to great over the past year.
Old 12-13-2005   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:

Its kinda hard to win as a coach when you have no talent at so many positions .... Ill list the holes .... You all tell me what you think .

Center .... zero talent in S.McKinney ... Seems to think He's and the rest of the O-Line are MUCH better than they really are .

Left O-Guard .....Milford Brown ..... maybe a back up somewhere else ... probably not

TE ..... Mark Bruener .... couldnt catch a beach ball

WR ....Corey Bradford .... See Above
WR....Jabar Gaffney ..... Up one minute , Down the next

LOLB ...Jason Babin .... Lost his starter spot to a special teamer (Shantee Orr , who has played pretty well of late)

RLOB ....Antwan Peek .... Im not hearing how he needs more playing time now .... But I dont hear the play by play guy calling his name much either .

FS ....Marcus Coleman ... Lost his job to a rookie second day pick ....Between DUI's and not showing up for team meetings .... nuff said

RCB ....Phillip Buchanon ... Hurt , Benched , cant tackle , cant cover ... Maybe he should try Flag Football ?

If i left anything out ... fill in the blank .

Dont thing Vince Lombardi could make this team a winner with that many holes .
I wouldn't disagree except I believe those are the players the coaches wanted except for perhaps Brown. Brown was a special draft situation like Hollings and simply never has panned out. But then again who has on the O-line?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I wouldn't disagree except I believe those are the players the coaches wanted except for perhaps Brown. Brown was a special draft situation like Hollings and simply never has panned out. But then again who has on the O-line?

You may be right on TWO of those players , and they are probably the biggest busts on the team , Babin abd PBurnt ..... but the rest of that mess is Casserly's doing.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-13-2005   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

simply put...you play to WIN the game...(best line ever)...you do NOT play not to lose the game...that's what capers does...and that's why he loses...cause he does not play to the win the freakin game
Old 12-14-2005   #18
touttail
All Pro

I voted coaching, but needed an all the above button!!!!!

Don't think we have exceptional talent, but strongly feel we would be better than 1-12 with a HC that had some cojones and swagger!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We were 7-9 last year, with most of the same players. It seems to me that the same team should be better than 1-12, so I voted coaching.

Although players should share some of the blame, too. They play the game.
Old 12-14-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
We were 7-9 last year, with most of the same players. It seems to me that the same team should be better than 1-12, so I voted coaching.
Overall we are 4 - 21 our last 25 games. The wheels started falling off last year.

I'd say it was both bad coaching and poor talent. I don't think it is just a one sided equation. Great players can overcome some bad coaching by making plays...we don't get many glimpes of dominating play from too many of our players. Just Walker, Dunta, Dom Davis and flashes of AJ.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read