Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans on ESPN right now talking about Bush

Tune in everyone!
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Salisbury says we have to take Bush because by himself, he will take pressure off the QB and make the line look above average. Eric Allen is saying that we have to trade down and pick up a left tackle and a defensive player. Allen says that we don't know what Bush will be like in the NFL, and Salisbury says that Bush is top 5 talent in the NFL, with peyton manning, lt, etc. crazy, good discussion, i would try and listen to it if you can.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

So Salsbury and Allen have the exact same arguement that many of us are having .. Whats new ? :brickwall

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i had never seen 2 guys act like they care so much about the texans. im flattered really....
Old 12-13-2005   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dan Patrick Show: Sean and Eric on Texans needs

More scoop from Dan Patrick Show at 5:25 p.m. 12-13-05 (I'm a loser, I know) about the Texans and what they should do with draft position:

Dan plays tape of earlier comments from Sean Salisbury Steak: "The Houston Texans should take Reggie Bush. If they don't, they're stupid. He's a once-in-40-years type of player."

Dan brings on Eric Allen, live, and asks for Eric's take on the situation: "Dan, of course Sean is going to say that...he wants to see his USC guy go first no matter what (Eric giggles, and so does Dan). One player is not going to make this team win right now, and that's what they need to do: Win right now. They need to STOP somebody. Look at the Bears this year. Stopping people with great defense is what the Texans need to do. This isn't the 1980 era Lakers type of game where you go fast break and outscore people. The Texans need to slide down and get two good defensive players and then an offensive tackle."

Eric goes on to say why take Reggie when you basically have a suitable back like Domanick Davis who is gettig his yards, has a reasonable average per carry, can catch out of the backfield (basically what I and others have been saying).

Dan leans toward Sean's take and says that Reggie will make everybody better around him. Eric strongly disagrees and says the Texans need defensive help that can step onto the field immediately and make a difference.

Pretty nuts and bolts here, folks. You either want to gamble like the Lions have the past four years and bank roll an offensive fireworks show that can't even get the wick lit, or you make the ugly pick and stick to meat and potatoes like most clubs do (Steelers, Patriots, etc.) Those teams make the ugly pick that gets no headlines each year, and they just continue to field solid teams every year.

My two cents: STICK TO THE PLAN. Make the ugly picks, regardless of the hype.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #6
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
i had never seen 2 guys act like they care so much about the texans. im flattered really....
seems like we've got as much coverage as the Colts this year. I kind of like it...
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
God of Wine

Nope I say pick Bush, see signature............

Last edited by God of Wine; 12-13-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger06
seems like we've got as much coverage as the Colts this year. I kind of like it...
no such thing as bad publicity
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
we have never gone with the ugly pick. I dont quite know which plan you are following, but I agree with it. If only our front office did too.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Salisbury came off sounding like a total moron.

Funny that he was saying some of the same junk im seeing on this board.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #11
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Dan leans toward Sean's take and says that Reggie will make everybody better around him. Eric strongly disagrees and says the Texans need defensive help that can step onto the field immediately and make a difference.

Pretty nuts and bolts here, folks. You either want to gamble like the Lions have the past four years and bank roll an offensive fireworks show that can't even get the wick lit, or you make the ugly pick and stick to meat and potatoes like most clubs do (Steelers, Patriots, etc.) Those teams make the ugly pick that gets no headlines each year, and they just continue to field solid teams every year.

Last years draft? Didn't we pick TJ and........Babin? Defensive Guys right? I have not seen many headlines on those guys, you are right. I think these guys will get better, but you have to go with good players and adapt your game to them. Sean is right.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #12
God of Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Funny that he was saying some of the same junk im seeing on this board.
Same can be said for Eric also. Eric was a defensive player, Sean was a QB , so you know they are biased to their side of the ball.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

If you watched the ESPN interview with Eric and Sean you will notice Sean did some SERIOUS backpeddling. At one point he called reggie bush an equal talent of non other then P. Manning. He then claimed that R. Bush was a top 5 player in terms of talent right now. Later when pressed he referred to Bush as a "top 10 back". So in a few minutes he went from top 5 to top 10 back. Nice job of backpeddling SS.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Weren't the Portland Trailblazers content with Clyde Drexler when they passed on Michael "Freaking" Jordan so instead they go with Sam Bowie. The JailBlazers actually said that about Drexler leading up to the draft. Drexler is great, but Jordan is super-great. DD is great but Bush is __________________!!!!!!(fill in the blank)

Well I'm content with DD but...........This guy could be the next Jordan of RB's. I'm still confused because we do need the extra pix. I just wish we had this scenario last year, there was no Reggie or Leinert. It would've been a No-Brainer to trade down from #1 or #2 last year.

Although I'm at a crossroad with my feelings on this, I can say that I'm leaning more to the "Draft Reggie" side of the fence.

And to all of you Jordan Lovers out there that are thinkin' that I just compared Bush to Jordan, I comparing their pre-draft fanfare as they were coming out of college. I'm in no way saying that they are equals or anything like that.
Old 12-13-2005   #15
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm still undecided.

That being said, just to play devil's advocate here. I can toss you a different example of a team in a similar funk to the Lions. The Bengals took a Dlineman with the #4 pick in 2001. They took an OT with the #10 pick in 2002. The next year they had the #1 overall and the worst record in franchise history - those two ugly picks didn't seem to differentiate them much from the Lions. In fact, they were worse.

The Lions problem is two-fold. First, the administration is terrible. Second, despite the high-profile WR draft picks, they haven't had a decent passer nor a good running back. Since they can't get Charles Rogers on the field, teams can double Roy Williams all day long (sound familiar?). In short, they haven't put together a working offense. They've added enough sheer talent that heroic effort at times by individual players is sometimes enough to get them over the top. Most of the time though, they fall just short.

Their lines on both sides of the ball are solidly better than anything the Texans might hope to field next year. Oh, and 4 of their last 10 first day picks were on the defensive front 7, and we're talking high seconds type picks - the same sort that we can probably expect to get in trade-downs.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

football aint basketball. You dont go to five superbowls cause you have one really talented player.
Old 12-13-2005   #17
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Not true.

Jordan did need Pippen.

Team sports FTW.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Basketball isnt NEARLY as team oriented as FOotball. It takes more than two great players to win a superbowl too.
Old 12-13-2005   #19
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
football aint basketball. You dont go to five superbowls cause you have one really talented player.
Really........football ain't basketball. It's good thing you came. Everybody hear that, football ain't basketball, just in case you were confused like I was.

As far as the "one really talented player" you refered to. If I remember correctly Jordan had a little help in the form of a perrinial All-Star and Gold medal winner Scottie Pippen. Maybe Bush and DD and AJ team up. Then Carr gets on board with a little tweakin' of the O-Line. The possibilities are endless.

Bball has 5 on the court at a time. Fball has 11 on the field. 5 divided by eleven is 2.2ish. Let us round down for arguments sake to 2. Jordan was one of the 5. Brady and Dillon are 2 of the 11 for the offense. Bruschi and Law were 2 of the 11 for the defense. Montana and Rice, Elway and Davis, Bradshaw and Swan, Aikman and Smith and Irving (those guys are there if you wanna round the 2.2 up). Ray Lewis and the rest of his D, Brooks and Lynch, and Barber.
Old 12-13-2005   #20
mean mark8
Veteran

How much of a difference did Earl Campbell make to the Oilers? If Bush will be an Earl Campbell type player in the NFL, the jury is still out. The scouts seem to think he may be. Of course they also thought Ryan Leaf and that OT the Packers drafted years back as can't miss prospects. This is a giant guessing game. I don't think you can pass on the type of talent Bush may be. If he's a bust, then he's a bust. We won't be the first one to have it happen. I wouldn't want to be the one to pass on the next Earl Campbell.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read