Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What if Reeves tells McNair that Dom or Charley . . .

. . . are NOT the problem with this football team. What if he tells McNair that the problem with team lies mainly with the players?

Would you accept his analysis? He very well could do that, you know?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably not (unless we are talking about the O-line and TE positions) .... I think that they have the CORE group of players that they can build on in Carr , DD , AJ , Robaire , Payne and DRob ..... just weak in a few positions such as CENTER (No , im NOT a fan of Steve McKinney) , O-Guard , Free Safety and across the board at the LB positions .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I can't see the problem being the players. The team has not changed very much from last year where we were 7-9 and should have been at least 8-8. Also, every game you hear the same thing. "We did not adjust in the second half". That is coaching not the players.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If he told him that, then it would most likely mean that Cass and Capers aren't the problems. In which case thats fine, and we would get some new players. The thing is, Cass and Capers bring the players in, and if they aren't good, then obviously the people bringing them ARE the problems.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I can't see the problem being the players. The team has not changed very much from last year where we were 7-9 and should have been at least 8-8. Also, every game you hear the same thing. "We did not adjust in the second half". That is coaching not the players.
actually, our team lost two starting MLB, had a first year starter at OLB, a new CB, a 6th round pick at SS, and a SS playing F/S, had our top LB put on IR, had our top WR injured, Victor Riley started at LT, RT, RG, Mark Bruner is still our top TE, Cory Bradford is still our #2 reciever.

that, for the most part, is what hurt us this year. We have changed quite a lot from last year.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
. . . are NOT the problem with this football team. What if he tells McNair that the problem with team lies mainly with the players?

If the problem is the players, then how does Casserly escape?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

the coaching is bad too, but it hasnt been a smooth year for us by any means. Changes in the front office are coming, some seem to be falling into place now, but rest assured they are coming soon enough.
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
If the problem is the players, then how does Casserly escape?

Simply put .... He Does' nt

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
If he told him that, then it would most likely mean that Cass and Capers aren't the problems. In which case thats fine, and we would get some new players. The thing is, Cass and Capers bring the players in, and if they aren't good, then obviously the people bringing them ARE the problems.
Exactly. The players weren't randomly selected through an NFL lottery, nor did they appear from a contest awarding positions to the first 53 people in line.
Old 12-13-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
actually, our team lost two starting MLB, had a first year starter at OLB, a new CB, a 6th round pick at SS, and a SS playing F/S, had our top LB put on IR, had our top WR injured, Victor Riley started at LT, RT, RG, Mark Bruner is still our top TE, Cory Bradford is still our #2 reciever.

that, for the most part, is what hurt us this year. We have changed quite a lot from last year.
On the offensive side of the ball every starter was available from last year, and Palmer was still here so we could have run his offense again. The coaches chose to install a new offense and install Riley as the left tackle.

The defensive side is another story.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
On the offensive side of the ball every starter was available from last year, and Palmer was still here so we could have run his offense again. The coaches chose to install a new offense and install Riley as the left tackle.

I agree. There was no reason, from a personnel standpoint, for the offense to be worse than it was last season.

The defense was gutted. I get that. But the none of the offensive starters from last year were traded or released.
Old 12-13-2005   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

see my next post after that one. I say the coaches are soon to be gone also!

This is, right now, a bad organization period, from top to bottem. We have some core players, but everyone needs role players.

To the poster who made the reference to michael jordan in another post, he would not have been all that he was w/out pippen, kukoch (sp), and rodman.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I agree. There was no reason, from a personnel standpoint, for the offense to be worse than it was last season.

The defense was gutted. I get that. But the none of the offensive starters from last year were traded or released.
This is true. Our offenseive woes are due to a dismal OC who was promoted from his former position on our team, the worst OL coach in the league.

But to my defense, AJ was oft. injured, bradford as still allowed to start. Mathis is still not used to his full potential, in part due to injuries. We did nothing to address our embaressing OL and benched our LT in favor of a journey man career RT. We rid ourselves of our only recieving TE, thus making the position soley an extra lineman, which would not be a terrible idea.
Old 12-13-2005   #14
JaguarsFan1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

You don't really think Reeves was brought in to evaluate do you? Dan Reeves is going to be the next coach of the Houston Texans.
JaguarsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarsFan1
You don't really think Reeves was brought in to evaluate do you? Dan Reeves is going to be the next coach of the Houston Texans.
Maybe I'm naive, but I truly believe that he was brought in to be an independent consultant. I think McNair is wary of wielding his ax with too broad of a stroke.
Old 12-13-2005   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I replayed the interview from the Texans Web site several times. It was interesting from several perspectives.

1) Most Texans fans were hoping he would evaluate the talent that's there, but Dan says he's probably primarily going to be talking to the coaches,

2) He says he not here to evaluate Casserly or Capers, but pats Capers on the back and says it was a tough game he lost on Sunday and how well he coached the team,

3) Casserly looks gloom the whole meeting and pissed off and Dom seems to relax towards the end of the interview,

4) McNair when speeking at the end is grinning like a Chesiar Cat saying we need to find what's wrong and fix it in the organization,

5) Reeves says he's never done this kind of thing before.

I've stated many times its time for the coaches to go, except perhaps for Marciano. I would like to see Reeves run the team with substitute coaches and I bet he could find some to help him while he does personnel evaluations and sees players in action until the end of the season. If the players play the same way as they have been, then we have a player and coaching problem. If the players suddenly start playing and winning and we begin to develop as a team, then its strictly a coaching problem. What bothers me more is that this move should have been made long ago. Is this a move simply to white wash what has happened? Is Reeves being used? He's really in a difficult position, because if your not here to evaluate the coach and you are not here to evaluate the general manager - and then you say you are here to evaluate the organization and try to help all the Texan's do a bette job - something has a fishy smell to it. There certainly are a lot of contradictions.

Oh, yes, and McKinney was quoted as saying he liked Reeves being here. He's always at the forefront isn't he.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

bottom line is dan reeves will be the new GM of the texans...i don't think he'll be the next head coach...i think he doesn't want to put in the hours it takes to do that...but be in a comfy position as the GM and sit in the press box with his buddy mcnair during the season...why not...he can't do any worse than casserly
Old 12-13-2005   #18
KYColtsFan
Rookie

Dan Reeves, reguardless of whether he's just a consultant, becomes GM, or (dare to dream) becomes the head coach, will get this team on the right track.

y'all almost had it last year, and i thought this year the South would be one of the strongest conferences in the league, with the Colts, the Jags, and the Texans. sadly, and i hope you don't mind an outsider sayin' this, your coachin' staff is a joke.

David Carr (with good protection) will win you a lot of games. Dominick Davis is a beast even without a decent O-Line. imagine if you guys can get some good offensive linemen in the upcomin' draft? he'll be runnin' wild.

your offense is there except a few pieces. i think this offseason, your defense is what should be addressed the most. get a new coach, one that's a proven defensive mind. hand him an already good offense at the core, have Reeves help plug the holes there, and let the coach build his defense. it worked in In-D.

then what? the AFC South becomes the division to beat (three viable teams for it) for those rings.
i can feel it, good times a comin'.
KYColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #19
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYColtsFan
Dan Reeves, reguardless of whether he's just a consultant, becomes GM, or (dare to dream) becomes the head coach, will get this team on the right track.

y'all almost had it last year, and i thought this year the South would be one of the strongest conferences in the league, with the Colts, the Jags, and the Texans. sadly, and i hope you don't mind an outsider sayin' this, your coachin' staff is a joke.

David Carr (with good protection) will win you a lot of games. Dominick Davis is a beast even without a decent O-Line. imagine if you guys can get some good offensive linemen in the upcomin' draft? he'll be runnin' wild.

your offense is there except a few pieces. i think this offseason, your defense is what should be addressed the most. get a new coach, one that's a proven defensive mind. hand him an already good offense at the core, have Reeves help plug the holes there, and let the coach build his defense. it worked in In-D.

then what? the AFC South becomes the division to beat (three viable teams for it) for those rings.
i can feel it, good times a comin'.
/SIGNED
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Now we all know the Texan's horrendous record, but lets look at some of the losses:

10/2: 16-10
11/6: 21-14
11/27: 33-27
12/4: 16-15
12/11: 13-10

What do all of these games have in common? They are all games the Texans could have won. For whatever reason the Texan did not. Had we won these games our record would be 6-7 and have a chance to hit .500 for the season.

In essence if you look at it, it has been coachign mistakes. Either going into superconservatie offense, or going into prevent defense, etc. This is an issue with the coaching. The Texans are not as bad as the record indicates and next year will be a big surprise for a lot of people.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read