Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2005   #1
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Why Houston Won’t Draft Reggie Bush

WHY HOUSTON WON’T DRAFT REGGIE BUSH

Reason 1: Domanick Davis
out of the top 30 Running Backs in the NFL right now, only 4 have rushed for 1,000 yards their first 3 seasons: LaDainian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Curtis Martin, and DOMANICK DAVIS. Now, compare all of those Offensive Lines and look at who has had the worst out of all those 4. Davis has done amazing his first 4 seasons, getting 4471 receiving and rushing yards in 3 seasons behind a horrible line. I don’t see Reggie Bush being this productive early on with Houston’s O Line. It’s a miracle Davis is going to get his 3rd 1000 yard rushing season with this O Line and he’s averaging over 4 yards per carry.

Reason 2: Trade Value
This year, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush will be in the draft making that number 1 spot a huge value. Like 2004, this year has some good talent so there will be a lot more trading up. Because of that, teams will be willing to give up a lot more than usual to trade up to the top 5 to get the player that they want. And As we all know, Houston has a lot more need elsewhere at several other positions so why wouldn’t they trade down to get a lot of picks to draft with?

Reason 3: Salary
Domanick Davis signed a 5 year $22 million dollar contract extension, pretty much locking him up at the RB spot. The first overall pick usually gets about 5 – 6 years for anywhere from $40 - $54 million dollars. If this is so, Houston would have 5 years and about $70 million dollars tied up between 2 players!

Reason 4: Other Needs
Houston has serious needs at OL, TE, DL, LB, CB, and S so why would Houston draft a player that DOESN’T fit into any of these positions? Houston has too many other needs to draft a Running Back in this year’s draft. Houston is ranked 31st offensively and 30th defensively so unless Bush could go both ways, then he doesn’t solve any needs of ours. Plus, like I explained in reason 1, Domanick Davis is a great Running Back.

Reason 5: Because They Said So!
I can’t remember where I heard it from, but I heard that if Houston got the number 1 pick, that they would trade down. Houston is also a very trustworthy franchise compared to a few others. In other words: the glass slipper DOESN’T fit the foot.

Last edited by LORK 88; 12-13-2005 at 03:36 PM.
LORK 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I’ve also heard that Reggie Bush wouldn’t be happy playing for Houston. In other words: the glass slipper DOESN’T fit the foot.

You can throw that one out of the window and he was aked point blank and he said he wouldn't mind playing for the Texans and he would love the opportunity to play in the NFL. He would not pull what bratty Eli did.

All this is a crap shoot til the end of the season anyway. Please no more Bush threads. Can we merge them?? We have at least 6 in this section already.
Old 12-13-2005   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I count 8.

Bush would be a spectacular player....for another team. Lets get the most we can out of him, and build our team up.

Let some sucker of a team throw away their whole draft for him.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
Let some sucker of a team throw away their whole draft for him.
kind of like we did for Jason Babin .... lol
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAlmighty
You can throw that one out of the window and he was aked point blank and he said he wouldn't mind playing for the Texans and he would love the opportunity to play in the NFL. He would not pull what bratty Eli did.

All this is a crap shoot til the end of the season anyway. Please no more Bush threads. Can we merge them?? We have at least 6 in this section already.
I got rid of that then. What about the other 5 reasons?
Old 12-13-2005   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If Reggie Bush is faster, has better moves, and better hands, why would he be much worse than Dominack Davis?

Let me put it this way, if we didn't sign Dominack Davis to an extension over the offseason, would we be having this argument?

This is what you call a sunk cost. We have already paid it, if we have the chance to upgrade to a much better player we should. This is finance 101 kind of stuff.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
agcubs
Rookie

Default Reggie or not???

I've been thinking about this and the texans could seriously be better off with vince young or matt leinhart. Face it dominick davis is an above average RB and Carr is falling down. I am thinking that the texans could trade for a #2 or #3 pick and get someone to carry the D. I could set the texans back on track. What do u guys think
agcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Can we please merge this thread into one of the 20 other threads that are just like it? We have started many threads based purely on "do we draft Bush or trade down" so could one of the mods please merge this in one of those?
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
If Reggie Bush is faster, has better moves, and better hands, why would he be much worse than Dominack Davis?

Let me put it this way, if we didn't sign Dominack Davis to an extension over the offseason, would we be having this argument?

This is what you call a sunk cost. We have already paid it, if we have the chance to upgrade to a much better player we should. This is finance 101 kind of stuff.
If we did not have Domanick Davis (or someone of comparable skill) on the team at all then I'd definitely be all for drafting Bush. If we hadn't signed Davis to an extension then I'd be more open to drafting Bush but still not really want it as my top choice. Given that both of these conditions exist, in addition to numerous other reasons, I think the best choice is to not get Bush and trade down. In finance terms, a sunk cost is "an expense that has already been incurred and cannot be reversed", which basically every contract in professional sports is an example of. Not being able to reverse Davis' contract and disregarding it to make a small upgrade at that position are two different things. We can't just accept it as a $25 million write off and go spend another $50 million for that small upgrade when the original piece is still fully functional , maybe not quite as high of potential good, but very functional. That is bad economics and bad accounting practices. Davis is a good RB and we have too many holes on this team to use $50+ million and the #1 pick to draft Bush when we can trade that pick and acquire 3-5 extra starting quality players.

P.S. good attempt on the finance analogy, but it wasn't 100% accurate. I see you're at least trying to use your Tulane education (much more than I can say for some other people)
Old 12-13-2005   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm FOR drafting Reggie Bush and I'm STILL sick of talking about it in so many threads. We need some kind of Reggie Bush filter that detects the presence of these two words and automatically kicks the post or new thread into a previously existing thread.
Old 12-13-2005   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

... and on the 8th day - the chosen one, Reggie Bush came down among the Texans and led them through the valley of offseason towards a new hope.... a new season... with St.McNair blessing the journey. Toro 2:25

Welcome to the board agcubs... but you may want to check a few other threads on who agrees or disagrees with the "chosen 3".
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Create a sub-folder for Reggie Bush or something and dump the threads that are predominantly about Bush into there so they are at least all in one spot and out of the way of everything else.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

We can trade Davis!! Draft Bush!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Create a sub-folder for Reggie Bush or something and dump the threads that are predominantly about Bush into there so they are at least all in one spot and out of the way of everything else.
agreed.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #15
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I got rid of that then. What about the other 5 reasons?
#1 Reason that you need to draft Bush..............

You do not pass on the talents of Reggie Bush. Look at what Portland did and drafted need instead of BPA. They drafted freakin Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

So lets trade down and draft a need and pass up Bush the BPA? no thanks.
Old 12-13-2005   #16
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
We can trade Davis!! Draft Bush!
Exactly. I can't believe people do not want to draft Reggie Bush.
Old 12-13-2005   #17
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Great job Lork i couldnt of said it any better. Plus i know Reeves will want his own players and not Casserly's players. I bet you will see a massive overhaul after this season. I think we will make several moves on draft day acquire a bunch of picks. Let alot of people go. Inc Babin, Buchannon, Bradford, Mckinney, Wand, Coleman.

Then trade the #1 pick to #2 49ers then trade the #2 pick to the person who wants Leinhart or D. Williams. Why not it could happen. Weirder things have happened in this league. I am sure N.O., Det and Tenn would like to have Leinhart. So if we deal the #1 to SF we get the #2 their 2nd and a 3rd Next year. So we have #2 1st 2 picks in 2nd round this year. We then package the #2 to N.O, Det, Tenn and depending on where they end up we can get 1st round top 10 pick and a 2nd or we could do a top 10 pick and 2 3rds. For a summary

we have a top 10 pick
top 2 picks in 2nd round
then a possible top 10 2nd round pick or we would have like 4 or 5 3rd rounders.

If we do end up with 4 or 5 4rd rounders i say we move back up into the 2nd round and pick up a TE in Day. I think Dbrick or Winston with the top 10 pick. THen the 1st 2 picks in teh 2nd are like late 1st rounders. So thats 3 1st round quality players. I believe Reeves will want this talent to bring in the players he wants to make this team a winner.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #18
Janus3
Veteran

Default does anyone NOT want reggie bush?

reggie bush is pretty good, but i see him as a more a dante hall type player. if the texans got the first pick, i'd hope they trade it. me personally, i'd like to address the problem areas, rb is not one of them. you can get more by trading teh first pick than trading davis. davis is doing good WITHOUT an o-line, imagine if he had one. i'd like to see the texans get aj hawk, chad greenway or d'brickshaw ferguson, and if you guys want an rb that bad, deangelo williams would be a steal in the later rounds. anyone else's thoughts?
Janus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
We can't just accept it as a $25 million write off and go spend another $50 million for that small upgrade when the original piece is still fully functional , maybe not quite as high of potential good, but very functional.
But it is actually not a $25 million write off because NFL contracts are not guaranteed money. It would only be a write off of the signing bonus which is amortized over the length of the contract. I don't know exactly how much we gave him as a signing bonus but I believe that it is somewhere around $5 million.

If we cut him the cap hit I believe would be $4 million because we have already amortized the first million this year. If we cut him after June 1st, you can spread the cap hit over 2 years which means that we would have a $2 million hit this year and a $2 million hit next year. I am sure that that he has some performance incentives built in, but I can't imagine they are too costly.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #20
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Why this is the best thread on the board right now. It makes the best sense
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read