Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2005   #1
MikeMc
All Pro

Default Draft knowledge is lacking

I have been away from the HT.com MB for awhile, and I come on here and see some of the ridiculous comments regarding the 2006 NFL Draft and some "scenarios" that are simply pathetic.

I guess this site was better when it was in its original form with the Inaugural Blue Crew members. Now we have thousands of Monday Evening QBs and Armchair GMs that have no idea how off-the-wall their comments are regarding the Draft, Bush, and any number of football personnel decisions.
Old 12-13-2005   #2
BroncoPride
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
I have been away from the HT.com MB for awhile, and I come on here and see some of the ridiculous comments regarding the 2006 NFL Draft and some "scenarios" that are simply pathetic.

I guess this site was better when it was in its original form with the Inaugural Blue Crew members. Now we have thousands of Monday Evening QBs and Armchair GMs that have no idea how off-the-wall their comments are regarding the Draft, Bush, and any number of football personnel decisions.
I hope your not referring to my trade proposal when you made this post lolz...

Broncofreak
BroncoPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe some posts in response to specific bad scenarios/comments would be more constructive than blanket condemnation.
Old 12-13-2005   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree .... seems every mock has someone with first round talent being picked in round seven ....

People should do a bit of research before they make thier mocks .... or back up posts with fact on other topics .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I agree .... seems every mock has someone with first round talent being picked in round seven ....

People should do a bit of research before they make thier mocks .... or back up posts with fact on other topics .
People should also wait until the final draft order is set and the combine and other workouts have gone by so they have somewhat of an idea of how good people are rather than just seeing a few games on TV against college competition. Then some serious mock drafts can start coming out (mine included).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #6
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

well you can always if the season ended to day this is what i think. Then again we do have bowl games, senior bowls and combines to raise ppls stocks. Alot of things people are forgetting to add into their mocks. DAN REEVES FACTOR!! I was thinking about this. He was brought in to evaluate right. That means the players he doesnt like are going to be gone. To me i think hes taking Casserly's job. That means it will be Reeves selecting not Casserly (thank god). Now we have a RB signed to a 5 yr deal. We will pick up Carr's 8 mil (not sure why but we will). You know what i dont get is if we had an O-line we wouldnt be having this conversation right now. We would talk about 7-9 season. I think a team end up being the 49ers will offer us a good enough offer to make sure they get Bush. So basically i think we will swop 1 and 2 picks and pick up the 2nd pick in 2nd round. In most GM's mind thats technically 3 1st round quality players. With the players i think leaving Babin, Buchannon, Coleman, McKinney.. ect i think Reeves will start wheeling and dealing to fill these positions. If we have say #2 the 32 and 33rd picks we can get 3 of the top 33 people. So not only can we get our stud O-line we can get a TE and a CB/S in the 2nd round. Then we have 2 3rd rounders for depth in the OL/LB/DL. Then the 4th we can get a WR or a S. This is just so clear to me i dont see why others cant see it.

and this isnt even going into the thought that Det, N.O., or Tenn trades to #2 pick to get Leinhart which is also another theory that is very realistic
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt Babin leaves. To much tied up and he CAN play.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
royce1054
All Pro

orr will replace him
Old 12-13-2005   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
orr will replace him
babin is not likely to go anywhere. buchanon is not going anywhere either. greenwood might as far as LB's are concerned. he has not preformed at all this year, but i will attribute most of that to a bad version of a sucessful scheme.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #10
royce1054
All Pro

i wouldnt be surprised if both left esp if Buchannon asks for any kind of significant money...

Babin... Babin what has he done for us. He has been poor - adaquate at best. Orr has shown he is ready and will come at a cheaper cost.
Old 12-13-2005   #11
MikeMc
All Pro

Maybe the new coaching staff will have a different defensive philosophy. Then Babin and Wong could play on the End of a 4-3 (for example). Then we might be talking about a LB like Hawk, Greenway or any number of top LBs that are projected to go in the top 15 picks.

My point is that so many people make these ridiculous scenarios, like we trade DD and Carr for a 2 & 3, then trade down and pick up a 1st rd pick in 2010, a 2nd rd pick in 2007 and 4 3rd rd picks in 2006.

Just stick with the what if the Texans have the #1 pick. All of this ridiculous trade garbage floods the MB. I wish the Mods would group all 404 Bush threads into one.

BTW, this kid is not the second coming of Sweetness. And how can he run outside or inside if he is always getting met 5 yrds behind the LOS? DD has shown the muscle and toughness to turn the -3 yard play into 3 or 4 yards. And that has been at the NFL level....not the Pac10!
Old 12-13-2005   #12
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected

MikeMc

Welcome back. I've missed your input and sharp wit. Can't wait to read your no-spin replies. Never agree with them but good reading.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Orr and Peek are both going to be restricted free agents so we can sign them to a one-year tender and keep them around for next year for very little money. Babin still has a decently big contract and since we wasted all those picks on him I think they'll keep him around at least another year and see if a new coach can get something out of him, and if we switch to a 4-3 he is sadly the best DE end we have in that system. Greenwood absolutely will not go, I wish he would but with his contract it would be very difficult to do at this point in time. Check out my "Houston Texans Player Contracts" thread in the bull pen to see the cap consequences of keeping and cutting all of our players and you'll see that some are unfortunately going to have to stay.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #14
royce1054
All Pro

I pray every day we either stay in the 34 or switch to 46 but the 43 sux and sux hard. I hope we never switch to it.
Old 12-14-2005   #15
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
BTW, this kid is not the second coming of Sweetness. And how can he run outside or inside if he is always getting met 5 yrds behind the LOS? DD has shown the muscle and toughness to turn the -3 yard play into 3 or 4 yards. And that has been at the NFL level....not the Pac10!
It blows me away how people say things like "this is the NFL, not the Pac-10" or any conference for that matter. Most players come out of college. They don't have a choice. For exaple, your reference to Sweetness, well he came out of a super small school. How many times did he hear "well this is the NFL, not the NCAA Division ll". How many times was Emmit told "you're too small, too slow, and you come from a pass 1st college program". Hell, Aikman came out of the Pac-10. So did Marcus Allen, OJ, Carson Palmer. I know, so did Ryan Leaf.
I guess we should have the kids get drafted to the Arena League 1st, then hold a draft for them to then go to Canada, then after that then they can go to NFL Europe. And theeeeeeeeen they can come to the NFL. How does that sound. Of course then they still would not have been "at the NFL level"!!!!!!!

Last edited by Big B Texan Fan; 12-14-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Big B Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you referring to mocks or comments. Look at some of the mocks. Some of them have been fairly developed utilizing the draft value chart. Like mine for example!
Check out Tryptophan Mock!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been here for years...and years.....and the goofy mocks are here every year (as well as the good ones). That hasn't changed a bit.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #18
MikeMc
All Pro

I was using "Pac-10" to refer to level of comp....college that is. He will be facing guys that are experienced NFL players.

Best case......look at Maurice Clarett....dominated the Big Ten, but did not even make the NFL cut. Yes it is different, but you get the point. Hey, Ty Detmer lit it up at BYU, but it is is little brother who is still on a NFL roster.

Just because someone succeeds at one level, does not mean they will succeed at the next. That is all I was trying to say.

And BTW, Jackson St is a DivI-AA school, not DivII.
Old 12-14-2005   #19
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Hey, Ty Detmer lit it up at BYU, but it is is little brother who is still on a NFL roster.

Ty plays for Atlanta, but I do see your point.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #20
MikeMc
All Pro

He does? I thought it was Vick, Shaub....so I guess Ty is #3? So I would not go as far as to say he "plays" for ATL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read