Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2005   #1
marroncito
Rookie

Default Could/Would the Texans sign Aaron Brooks?

Work with me for a second. It's rumored that Brooks is done in New Orleans and will probably be a FA. I've read talk around the board that we should bring in some competition for Carr especially since it seems more and more likely that the Texans will excercise their option on his contract.

So who to bring in? Brooks is a possiblity. In my opinion, he's a QB similar to Carr. He has the physical talent to be a good/great QB. He can throw accuratly all over the field when things go well. He has catastrophic breakdowns when things go bad.

The offseason plan should definitly include changes to the Oline and other things that will let Carr be the Carr of 2004 and better. ie. giving him more time in the pocket with an improved Oline, giving him more targets to throw to and maybe even a stud recieving TE to work with.

These are all things that Brooks needs as well to be successful. He's mobile like Carr. He can make the throws. If you don't put the whole game on him, he can make plays.

After his shaming in New Orleans he could be had for cheap, at least cheaper than some other contracts, even if it were just a one year deal with incentives.

I think he could really give Carr some real competiton for the starting spot.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Absolutely no, Brooks is a walking turnover and is seeming to develop an attitude problem.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm not a big fan of Brooks, personally. He has talent, but he's a shade too close to the old Jake Plummer for me. If you really think about it, Carr doesn't turn the ball over that much. He turns it over more than we'd like, of course, but many of them (too many) seem to be the outside rusher just going right by our left tackle, coming up from behind and batting the ball out as he's cocking to throw. (Man, how many times has that happened? Jeez.) Brooks can really have some mental meltdowns and resemble the old Plummer.

I would like to see the Texans sign a cheap FA QB to compete with Carr, but I was thinking along the lines of Schaub (if Carr doesn't work out, this guy has long-term potential), Kitna (short-term, proven success, not really a "Wow!" pick), or Volek (short-term, has shown flashes, could be successful). Josh McCown is another guy, but he's kind of a project himself. He's been given no real chance at developing in Arizona and everytime he strings together a decent run, Green benches him.

I don't know, just some options.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
old Jake Plummer
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Plummer changed in a big way (what's the reason?*shrug*) Now he's a solid QB for the Broncos. I think Brooks can make a change with some new scenery.

On top of his physicals, Brooks has starting experience in the NFL. We're expecting Carr to change for the better. So why not Brooks. Both need to make a change like Plummer did. So why not?

Conversly, I'm not advocating Brooks over anyone else. Right now, I'm just tossing ideas out for who could seriously compete with Carr.
Old 12-13-2005   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

in all fairness, aaron brooks could barely seriously compete with adrian mcpherson

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #6
marroncito
Rookie

I'm loving what Brad Johnson is doing for the Vikings, but I don't think he can seriously be seen as competition for Carr. It happens all the time. If you bring in an aged vet they have trouble displasing a young incumbant. Look at the Dolphins. Ferotte had to compete with Feeley and didn't initially win the starting job. I would say that it's a prejudiced competiton at best. The coach will always be looking at what's best for the future of the team whether he wants to or not.

Now I'm going to slightly contradict myself. I would love to have Kitna on the Texans. He got it done on the Bengals. I think the Bengals would still be where they are with Kitna starting. Palmer is a great QB, but I think Kitna could have got it done just as well. Will Kitna be a FA this season? I wouldn't want to trade for him. As much as I like him, I want to see our draft picks used to improve other positions first.
Old 12-13-2005   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marroncito
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Plummer changed in a big way (what's the reason?*shrug*) Now he's a solid QB for the Broncos. I think Brooks can make a change with some new scenery.
Kubiak is largely responsible for Plummer's turnaround, from all indications. Kubiak also turned Brian Griese into a Pro Bowl QB. If Kubiak's here next year, I would think Carr's closer to where we want him to be than Brooks is, given equal coaching. Of course, that's all speculation on Kubiak being here, but I'm trying to stay positive!
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2005   #8
zeplin
Veteran

The reason Jake Plummer is playing so much better in Denver is because he is no longer a one man show, as he was with the cardinals. He has a fine supporting cast. Shanahan and Kubiak just had to convince him that throwing the ball away instead of superman heroics was the right way to go. One big key to his success. Denver actually has a OL that blocks and pick up blitzing defenses.
Our problems will not be solved by Brooks. He is a turnover waiting to happen.
If you want to help David bring in a good QB coach. Hmm "Kubiak" Maybe!!!!
zeplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #9
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeplin
The reason Jake Plummer is playing so much better in Denver is because he is no longer a one man show, as he was with the cardinals. He has a fine supporting cast. Shanahan and Kubiak just had to convince him that throwing the ball away instead of superman heroics was the right way to go. One big key to his success. Denver actually has a OL that blocks and pick up blitzing defenses.
Our problems will not be solved by Brooks. He is a turnover waiting to happen.
If you want to help David bring in a good QB coach. Hmm "Kubiak" Maybe!!!!
I'm not saying that Brooks or anyone else would be a cure all for Carr's and/or the Texans woes. What I'm saying is that he'd be an option that could legitimatly challenge Carr for the starting job. Carr has never faced a serious challenge here. I just think it's one more thing that can help him step up his game - whoever is brought in to SERIOUSLY challenge Carr.
Old 12-13-2005   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying that Brooks or anyone else would be a cure all for Carr's and/or the Texans woes. What I'm saying is that he'd be an option that could legitimatly challenge Carr for the starting job. Carr has never faced a serious challenge here. I just think it's one more thing that can help him step up his game - whoever is brought in to SERIOUSLY challenge Carr.
I've said that before as well. If we are going to sign this guy to an extension well then we better have a guy here to make sure that if he messes up, he can be replaced. This should get Carr working alot better.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

I understand the need for Carr needing to be challenged, but Brooks??????????? My God, he is a tun over machine. Banks could do better than Brooks!

You need a Coach that has enough sense to build a system around Carr, not limiting Carr into a ho-hum system. Look what happened to Kordell Stewart. He was bad @$$ when he did his thing, but when they tried to make a pure pocket passer out of him, he couldn't do anything!

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #12
marroncito
Rookie

The thing about Brooks (who I am not an absolute supporter of over other potential canidates) is that he's just like Plummer in Zona or his early Denver days. How many people said that Plummer was washed up? Who would say that now? Who wouldn't want to snatch Plummer from the Broncos to compete with Carr.

The two things I think about Brooks are: a change of scenery would do him good. and with the right coaching (which we're hoping for here) he could get his game back. There have been times in career where he was decent if not good.

I am not advocating throwing Carr out or annointing Brooks or anyone else as a starter. I just want to see someone give Carr a run for his money - all 8 million :P

Lastly, if not Brooks then who could seriously challenge Carr for his starting spot. No way Banks does, he's been there for years and never taken it. The jury's still out on Ragone. So who?
Old 12-13-2005   #13
jjjezebel
ĦAy, caramba!

Section: Section 116, seats 15-17
Rep Power: 11836 jjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought that part of Carr's problem, other than having Palmer as OC, was that he was brought on as a rookie to be our starting QB, rather than bringing in a more experienced QB to give him a mentor that he could train under and learn from for a couple of years.

A lot of responsibility was dumped on him, and frankly, I think he was just too young for the job. I still think he's salvageable, and if we can get in a coach that can help our offense, and can turn Carr around, I think he'll end up a very good quarterback.

That said, I don't think we should bring in anyone new. Instead we should work with what we have, as I think the talent is there, it's just been misguided.

And dammit, play Ragone a couple of times, and let us see what HE can do!
jjjezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Could/Would the Texans sign Aaron Brooks? I

In a word ..... NO . :brickwall :brickwall .

Brooks is a turnover waiting to happen .... let some other sucker of a team give him a back-up job .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #15
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

no thanks - he's not great and he's been benched
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Who says this organization wants to challenge Carr for his position? He was the first pick of this organization, has started every game when healthy, and has never felt the heat of a backup taking his job. If/when the Texans pick up his option, he'll be getting too much money to be a backup. He's our starting QB, good-bad-indifferent. There is no challenge.

Besides, some of the names I've seen might not be cool with backup positions. Tony Banks is as good (or better) than many of them, and he seems to be content as a backup QB on this franchise.

As much as some fans want Carr to be challenged (and I can't blame you for that), the fact of the matter is that the Texans front office have made him the face of this team, and he'll be that representative as our starting QB until he's no longer a Texans, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2005   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

there would be no way we would go after aaron brooks
Old 12-15-2005   #18
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a chance. Benched by the Saints doesn't equate to high value in my book. However, being fired from the head coaching position with the Falcons doesn't sound too good either!
houstonhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005   #19
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

NO this would be the stupidest move of the offseason, possibily of the Texans short franchise. Yes even stupider than Jason Babin and Phillip Buchanon.

The Texans don't really have that much room to move around under the cap. I think we are scheuduled to have around $15-10 million at the end of the season without signing anybody. That being said it would be stupid to bring somebody in that has not starting ability in the National Football League. I mean if you can't be the starting QB in New Orleans, you can't be the starting QB anywhere. We have to much money wrapped up in David Carr (plus a $8million bonus this offseason) to bring in somebody that is gonna want a pretty big contract to come here and just "compete". It would be to much of a controvosy and Brooks is a loud mouth anyway. Carr already has to many problems like seeing the ground to much. He doesn't need Brooks.
Old 12-15-2005   #20
bigcarlos
Veteran

Quote:

I think he could really give Carr some real competiton for the starting spot.
So would Ryan Leaf, and Jim Harbaugh
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read