Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2005   #1
sensei
Rookie

Default Surprised and disappointed in McNair

For the first time I was really surprised and disappointed at the actions of Bob McNair. I had considered him to be a first class type of guy. I have NO PROBLEM with the actions he took yesterday in hiring Reeves. As a matter of fact I am glad he took action. I have a lot of problems with the way he did it.

The thing is, he could have done all he did without humiliating both Casserly and Capers. No one outside of the organization even had to know he had hired a consultant at this time to evaluate everyone. If it leaked out, so be it. Let everyone speculate. They will anyway.

The whole NFL is watching. How would you feel about becoming the next group of coaches or general manager if you had witnessed yesterdays fiasco? He took both Capers and Casserely and held them up for public ridicule unnecessarily.

I thought both Casserly and Capers showed what kind of peple they really are. Can you imagine how difficult it must have been to sit through that conference? While I'm not happy with their job performance, they are both CLASS people and have my respect. As they both are still under contract to him they had no choice but to show up for the conference. How would you feel if you knew you were going to be fired but were ordered to show up for the public announcement. I would just tell him to stick it and walk out the door. Maybe that was the hoped for result.

I know some of you will say he did this to appease the fans. At this point all the tickets are still sold. He has plenty of time to right the ship before he will take a hit in the pocketbook. If you really think the NFL owners care at all what you think about how they run their teams...well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Like I said at the beginning: I have no problem with what he did. I think there were better ways to do it.

O.K., blast away.

sensei
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #2
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm disappointed in his timing though I still won't be sticking up for cass and capers. I thought a press conference to evaluate talent is totally pointless in week 15 of the season. What would have waiting until the off-season hurt?
Old 12-13-2005   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
What would have waiting until the off-season hurt?
Hopefully he can force Pendry to play the players that should have gotten time all year so they can be evaluated.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that Capers and Casserly actually had to go to the press conference. They could have been left out of that, but otherwise I think he made a good decision. Maybe he wanted them there to just to try and show by their showing up that they are not too upset about it. If that was the play, I don't think it worked very well. Capers looked like he was really fighting to look OK with it and Casserly looked like he was extrememly irritated.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

He probably wants to get a head start. If he is going to fire and hire people, why not get the process started now rather than 4 weeks from now when you could be rebuilding the team? If anything, this shows that the Texans are not going to have one of their typical passive offseasons.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #6
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. I just think that in the last few days that a lot has come out about some of the things being done on this team (PBuc trade) that McNair is not happy about. He let people that he thought he could trust take the reins on his investment and they screwed the pooch and made him look a bit foolish.

There comes a point where you have to take control of the situation no matter whose feelings get hurt, that's just good business. He hired Reeves because he is going to get someone who is going to tell him what is up. He thought he already had someone like that but he didn't and got hosed.

Hell, he has a lot more restraint than I do. If I owned that team and I found out that they blew all those picks on Buchanon without doing any research someone would be looking for a job.

Old 12-13-2005   #7
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that Capers and Casserly actually had to go to the press conference.
Made him look like a fool so now it's their turn.

Plus, I think you need to show that everyone is on board. If DC and CC weren't there then it would look like it was a behind the back, shady kinda thing. With everyone there it looks like all is well with the world.

Old 12-13-2005   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Capers looked like he was really fighting to look OK with it and Casserly looked like he was extrememly irritated.
Well, if the coordinators had held their players accountable on the field, this may not have happened. If Capers would have held his coordinators accountable for their bad decisions - personnel and play calling, this might not have happened. If Casserly would have held Capers accountable and made him replace the inferior players who were playing in front of better options, this might not have happened.

Now accountability is here and it isn't pretty since it has been ducked for so long. It is their own fault.
Old 12-13-2005   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

You're not going to get a blast from me. I happen to agree very much with what you said. The Richard Justice article from last week is another instance where he threw either a player or coach or general manager under the bus publicly. So yeah, I'm starting to wonder about him.

Another thing that bothers me about him. He's going to other owners around the league asking their advice about what's wrong with his team? That indicates he's really confused and unsure about what he wants or should do.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Yeah it shows he is unsure about what to do, but he also isn't going to make a dumb decision like Dan Snyder would. I'd rather him be confused and asking for help than thinking he knows what to do when he doesn't and making stupid mistakes.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #11
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
For the first time I was really surprised and disappointed at the actions of Bob McNair. I had considered him to be a first class type of guy. I have NO PROBLEM with the actions he took yesterday in hiring Reeves. As a matter of fact I am glad he took action. I have a lot of problems with the way he did it.

The thing is, he could have done all he did without humiliating both Casserly and Capers. No one outside of the organization even had to know he had hired a consultant at this time to evaluate everyone. If it leaked out, so be it. Let everyone speculate. They will anyway.

The whole NFL is watching. How would you feel about becoming the next group of coaches or general manager if you had witnessed yesterdays fiasco? He took both Capers and Casserely and held them up for public ridicule unnecessarily.

I thought both Casserly and Capers showed what kind of peple they really are. Can you imagine how difficult it must have been to sit through that conference? While I'm not happy with their job performance, they are both CLASS people and have my respect. As they both are still under contract to him they had no choice but to show up for the conference. How would you feel if you knew you were going to be fired but were ordered to show up for the public announcement. I would just tell him to stick it and walk out the door. Maybe that was the hoped for result.

I know some of you will say he did this to appease the fans. At this point all the tickets are still sold. He has plenty of time to right the ship before he will take a hit in the pocketbook. If you really think the NFL owners care at all what you think about how they run their teams...well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Like I said at the beginning: I have no problem with what he did. I think there were better ways to do it.

O.K., blast away.

sensei
Not a blast sensei...you have a valid point of view.

I guess its OK to feel for Cass and Dom,..... but look at the other side of the picture.

Has Cass ever come out and admitted, "I blew it on the PBuch trade or I got schooled on the Babin deal" ? Why did I spend a #2 on Hollings. Even if the coaches did ask for it. As a seasoned GM he should have known better.

Has Dom ever admitted " I blew it when I hired a coaching staff that had no clue" or "Playing to keep it close doesn't work for this team"? I don't think so. Seems like all I hear is Cass and Dom blaming the players for lack of "execution". To me thats hanging the players out for ridicule.

I am probably in the minority here but I believe the biggest problem is not our players but our coaching. Cass has managed to get at least average NFL quality players in here, they are receiving less than average NFL coaching.

I was pleading for Mr McNair to do something. He has. Is it the right thing? Only time will tell. I've always believed in the saying that "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Mr McNair made a tough decision in doing what he did, I commend him.
BTW I imagine that both Cass and Dom are at least financially secure, and both will find jobs if indeed they are replaced.

just my...

Old 12-13-2005   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
You're not going to get a blast from me. I happen to agree very much with what you said. The Richard Justice article from last week is another instance where he threw either a player or coach or general manager under the bus publicly. So yeah, I'm starting to wonder about him.

Another thing that bothers me about him. He's going to other owners around the league asking their advice about what's wrong with his team? That indicates he's really confused and unsure about what he wants or should do.
no, he's deffinately not the most versed owner out there, but it says to me that he's actively trying to be. would you rather him not be asking questions and trying to learn the ropes, and instead give full control to another casserly + capers?

with that being said, i think it's the only way he could've brought in reeves. had he not brought it to attention publicly, people would've still found out and it would've looked more like they were trying to hide something. a lot of speculation and rumors would circulate as to why mcnair is in constant contact with a high profile coach while capers and/or casserly were still employed here. as for casserly & capers being there, i think it's again for appearance reasons, to look as though the entire staff is working together.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
I am probably in the minority here but I believe the biggest problem is not our players but our coaching. Cass has managed to get at least average NFL quality players in here, they are receiving less than average NFL coaching.
I agree with this. I don't think the coaching staff has made the most of the players available or used them as Casserly envisioned. For instance in the Victor Riley case, Casserly obviously thought that Riley was nothing more than a back-up who should see limited time - an upgrade to Marcus Spears, but no more than that. I think this because his contract included a bonus for appearing in 10 games or so. This tells me Casserly did not expect him to be a starter.

Pendry then latches onto Riley like he's the best thing he's ever see. It should be obvious in hindsight to even the Wand haters that Riley was a BIG step backward. Riley continued starting many games after proving he wasn't very good. He's then cut and we have done NOTHING to build for the future, like giving our young players a chance to improve through playing time. This chance to improve would have ended up in with a better performance than that turned in by the veteran Riley. This specific example was all on the coaches.
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
no, he's deffinately not the most versed owner out there, but it says to me that he's actively trying to be. would you rather him not be asking questions and trying to learn the ropes, and instead give full control to another casserly + capers?

with that being said, i think it's the only way he could've brought in reeves. had he not brought it to attention publicly, people would've still found out and it would've looked more like they were trying to hide something. a lot of speculation and rumors would circulate as to why mcnair is in constant contact with a high profile coach while capers and/or casserly were still employed here. as for casserly & capers being there, i think it's again for appearance reasons, to look as though the entire staff is working together.
I'm sorry, (Jeez, I'm starting to sound like Ibar) but this a panic move by McNair to appease the fans, at the expense of subjecting his people to public humiliation and ridicule. Capers and Casserly, what ever you might think of them, deserve better respect from the owner. They both have been in the NFL a long time. They are experienced people who know what happens when a team is having a bad year. The reaction from the public (fans, media) is the same in every city. They are keeping their wits about them, and are to be commended for maintaining a professional attitude.

But then you have an owner who is showing that he hasn't been around the block. I think down the road, the 'public' actions and decisions that he's making now will come back to haunt him.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I'm sorry, (Jeez, I'm starting to sound like Ibar) but this a panic move by McNair to appease the fans, at the expense of subjecting his people to public humiliation and ridicule. Capers and Casserly, what ever you might think of them, deserve better respect from the owner. They both have been in the NFL a long time. They are experienced people who know what happens when a team is having a bad year. The reaction from the public (fans, media) is the same in every city. They are keeping their wits about them, and are to be commended for maintaining a professional attitude.

But then you have an owner who is showing that he hasn't been around the block. I think down the road, the 'public' actions and decisions that he's making now will come back to haunt him.
The other thing he might be showing is that he is REALLY P.O.ed about being lied to and didn't feel bad about pillaring them in public. Can't say I blame him. I might have let CC & Dom know a day ahead, but can't say I feel for them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I think they were initially trying to keep it relatively quiet but the news did leak out before their press conference. Either way I like that he came out and held a press conference to tell us what was going on before we heard some twisted story from the media later this week about how Dan Reeves has been out watching practices for the last couple days and the Texans haven't said anything about it so they must be bringing him in as our next coach and GM and they are trying to hide it from all of us. I prefer that he comes out and tells us what is going on like he did do, granted it would be a little unnerving for Capers an Casserly since both of their jobs are in trouble, that a long-time football genius is coming in to evaluate our teams and is here to help you guys in the last few weeks of your jobs to help improve the team after they've been fired. I think it was kind of a lose/lose situation for McNair on that, he would look bad either way he did it.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with this move since McNair has only been schooled about the NFL from the guys who have given him a 1-12 franchise in 4 years of hard work. It's time to get another POV in before we have to make a decision on Carr, the draft (its here in 4 months and change) and our long term future. It's real easy to complain but it's obvious to me that McNair cares about this franchise and is working to improve it without making a ton of assumptions or trying to re-invent the wheel. If anyone gets their feelings hurt on the staff....tough luck, but 1-12 doesn't buy you much comfort room.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #18
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, cant help but feel sorry for cc and dc...hiring reeves basically questions their integrity and is a shot to their pride. However when your dealing with a million dollar business, tough calls are neccessary. Someone is gonna get hurt in the process when things need to be fixed. I wanted to call in to the Capers show yesterday so bad and ask Dom a tough questions...but didnt have the heart to.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #19
billtxus
Rookie

Not sure what you are saying he should have done. There was no way to hire Reeves without being upfront to Dom and Charlie. For Reeves to do his job he has to have access to coaches, players, film and practice. You think it would have been better for him to just be walking around Reliant without any explanation at all to the press and coaches. That would have been dirty dealing.

Dom and Charlie are lucky they still have jobs, even in mid season they might have been fired for the stupidity we've seen so far this season, and for the bad moves made last offseason. Their only hope is to work with Reeves with the long shot hope that things can be fixed without them being fired.
billtxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

: ... What if Bob went to CC and said " Hey Chuck ... why can't we win ?" and CC replied " I'll tell you Bob , Dom 's not the coach I thought he was . In fact I've laid great talent at his feet you see and we still can't win . "

Bob then approaches Dom and says " Dominic why can't we win ? " Capers answers " Bob ... how can I compete if we don't execute perfectly and win every down with this talent . I asked CC for a guy who's just like Dunta and CC gives me a guy who's the same size . He asked me what player I wanted in the draft and I replied " I 'll take Johnson " and he gets me Travis . Bob we could have done better just using Mel Kipers draft guide .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read