Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2005   #1
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Default My Finally Mock Until the Combine

1) OT Eric Winston, Miami
2) LB Abdul Hodge, Iowa
2) FS Greg Blue, Georgia
3) DE/LB Manny Lawson, NC St
3) TE Dominique Byrd, USC
4) WR Jason Avant, Michigan
5) OG Jason Spitz, Louisville
5) CB Brett Bell, Wisconsin
6) DE Moe Thompson, South Carolina
7) NT Kwakou Robinson, Virginia

Texans make a deal with the Titans to swap 1st round picks and Texans receive their 2nd and 5th round picks as well
Old 12-11-2005   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
1) OT Eric Winston, Miami
2) LB Abdul Hodge, Iowa
2) FS Greg Blue, Georgia
3) DE/LB Manny Lawson, NC St
3) TE Dominique Byrd, USC
4) WR Jason Avant, Michigan
5) OG Jason Spitz, Louisville
5) CB Brett Bell, Wisconsin
6) DE Moe Thompson, South Carolina
7) NT Kwakou Robinson, Virginia

Texans make a deal with the Titans to swap 1st round picks and Texans receive their 2nd and 5th round picks as well
very nice, but the texans should recieve more than just those picks. I would like to hear your analysis of each pick if you have the time, and just so you know, i do agree with most of them...
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Looks pretty good and I enjoy seeing Eric Winston at the first rounder. I don't know enough about many of the other guys on your list to comment properly so I'll leave those alone until after the combine and everything. I also think we should be able to get more than a second and fifth rounder for swapping firsts, according to the draft value chart their 2nd and 3rd would not even cover the value of switching firsts, and I doubt they'd give away their top four picks in this draft so we'd probably get a package like swapping firsts, get this years' 2nd and 4th and next years' 2nd, or maybe get this years' 2nd and next years 1st and 3rd in addition to swapping top picks.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't like the idea of trading with the Titans, seems like this would be another case of them getting over on us while I know none of our Texans present of future defensive players would be catching Bush anytime soon, this would outright catastrophic :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

1) OT Eric Winston, Miami (Winston is a huge tackle who would be the best pass blocker on the team, not to mention that he is a great run blocker which helps with the system we run)

2) LB Abdul Hodge, Iowa (The texans have never had a enforcer on defense beside Dunta, and Hodge hits like a ton of bricks. He could also start if Wong is not retained.)

2) FS Greg Blue, Georgia (He has had a lot of experience playing against top compition and Coleman has been terrible this year)

3) DE/LB Manny Lawson, NC St (Lawson is propably the best player in the draft to be able to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. He is also a good pass rusher.)

3) TE Dominique Byrd, USC (Byrd is a great reciever and has been playing on basically a pro team the last four years. He make clutch receptions and is a decent blocker.)

4) WR Jason Avant, Michigan (He has some size(6'1" 213lbs) and is a solid possession reciever)

5) OG Jason Spitz, Louisville (At 6'4" 308lbs he is a big body who can move the pile in the running game)

5) CB Brett Bell, Wisconsin ( Bell is a pretty good corner who could probably stick with the texans due to his cover skills)

6) DE Moe Thompson, South Carolina ( A stong player who has a non stop motor)

7) NT Kwakou Robinson, Virginia (A huge nose tackle(6'4" 327lbs) who has experience in a 3-4, but he needs to get stronger and improve his condictioning)
Old 12-12-2005   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Well I figured the Texans would trade to who ever was in te 4th to 7th pick of the first round.
Old 12-12-2005   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

That's it? We are giving up Reggie Bush for a swapped first round pick and a 2nd and 5th? No way I would ever do that trade. This is a once in a life time talent we are talking about, not Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I figured the Texans would trade to who ever was in te 4th to 7th pick of the first round.
sorry not trying to be too harsh but could you imagine trying to chase Reggie Bush around for the next 10 years everytime we play the Titans? I would be open to a can't decline package for the 1st pick but in our division, to a rival is just not an option
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Fine, the texans trade the 1st overall selection to the Saints. Happy?
Old 12-12-2005   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fine, the texans trade the 1st overall selection to the Saints. Happy?
haha, but sadly no. we still need an explanation and compensation.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I doubt the Saints would trade up for Bush when they have Deuce McAllister. the 49ers, Jets, maybe Packers, maybe Cleveland, and maybe Arizona would be the main teams interested in Bush. To be honest, more teams would likely be willing to trade a lot to get Leinart since so many of the teams that will be at the top of the draft will be looking for a QB.
Old 12-12-2005   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

The problem with those teams too is that they are all in the rebuilding mode and really can't afford to give up too much to get one player. The Niners and Jets might not be able to afford the pick due to cap reasons.
Old 12-13-2005   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
The problem with those teams too is that they are all in the rebuilding mode and really can't afford to give up too much to get one player. The Niners and Jets might not be able to afford the pick due to cap reasons.
San Francisco is projected to have $74 million against the cap next year, plus the free agents they resign or bring in to their team. Our team is projected to have $78 million against the cap, and the Jets are projected at $120 million. The cap is projected at $92 million, so the Jets will have problems unless they dump a lot of people, which they are going to do, and they need to retool their offense and will either get Leinart if Pennington's health is in question or try to make a move on Bush to get that one offensive weapon. The 49ers will have more cap room than us and definitely will be looking to add an offensive weapon for Alex Smith to build their offense around. They have terrible RBs and no offensive weapons at all, while we have some in place already so they will be much more willing to try and get Bush than we will.
Old 12-13-2005   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
San Francisco is projected to have $74 million against the cap next year, plus the free agents they resign or bring in to their team. ................................... The 49ers will have more cap room than us and definitely will be looking to add an offensive weapon for Alex Smith to build their offense around. They have terrible RBs and no offensive weapons at all, while we have some in place already so they will be much more willing to try and get Bush than we will.

The 49er's are VERY MUCH like the Texans in that they have a LOT of needs ...And considerable cap space next season . Im sure both teams could find a place to play Bush(Here-to-fore known as @#$%) but both have more pressing needs ..... I Think the 49ers would be under even more pressure to take @#$% considering their location and the fact he plays in state (Kinda like the Texans last year w/ DJ) .

Both teams have very poor O-Lines .....Alex Smith is getting pounded on at a David Carr like clip ...And we all know how much of a beating Carr has taken over the past three years .... Do the 49er's want to put Smith thru the same type of beating to take a playmaker with take it to the house potential every time he touches the ball or will they protect their QB ?

The similarities between these two teams are pretty scarry ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #15
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
The 49er's are VERY MUCH like the Texans in that they have a LOT of needs ...And considerable cap space next season . Im sure both teams could find a place to play Bush(Here-to-fore known as @#$%) but both have more pressing needs ..... I Think the 49ers would be under even more pressure to take @#$% considering their location and the fact he plays in state (Kinda like the Texans last year w/ DJ) .

Both teams have very poor O-Lines .....Alex Smith is getting pounded on at a David Carr like clip ...And we all know how much of a beating Carr has taken over the past three years .... Do the 49er's want to put Smith thru the same type of beating to take a playmaker with take it to the house potential every time he touches the ball or will they protect their QB ?

The similarities between these two teams are pretty scarry ....
I know the 9ers would sacrifice Smith getting hit to acquire Bush. They are paying him $aloooooot of money, and with the very first pick in the draft they are not going to acquire a lineman. Which is very similar to us.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't bet on that too much. If Nolan were an offensive minded coach I would agree with you, but his background is defense and has repeatedly said that he is committed to his plan for the team. I don't think he is going to spend a bunch of draft picks on one guy when they have even more holes than the Texans. If they have the second pick I could easily see them trading down a few picks and then getting someone like AJ Hawk or Jimmy Williams.
Old 12-13-2005   #17
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

I think the 49ers will definitely look to get Bush. Bush has said he likes California and the 49ers have absolutely no one on offense other than Alex Smith, so they desperately need a playmaker much more than we do. If the Jets or someone else offer a trade package more than the 49ers are willing to spend then they very well could trade down and work on their defense but I don't see that happening. Smith is also not getting hit at Carr's rate, we have given up twice as many sacks as any other team in the NFL and all of ours have been to Carr, Smith has gotten less than half of theirs.
Old 12-13-2005   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If we trade out of #1, for a 2nd, and 5th, I will eat my hat.

Bush, OR Leinart are going to cost #1's next year, and #2, or #3 this year. Maybe more. -See Eli trade.

Trade out of #1, to no division foe, New York Jets for #1 this year, #2 this year, and #1 next year. They take Reggie Bush, forcing the 9ners to try and trade out of #2.

We take a LT #4 overall. a OG in round 2. S, or TE in round 2.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #19
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I think some way we will end up picking around 8-10. Bc i know 49ers, Jets, GB all are looking at Bush and will make a push to get him.

Then after that there is Leinhart so if we do to say 49ers then it becomes whose the highest bidder for him now.

So we could trade down to 49ers so they can get bush
then trade down to #3 so that the Jets can get Leinhart

so #1 for #2, 2nd and 3rd next year
then #2 for #3 and 2 3rds and 5th.

soo... you see where this can go right. If we want Winston or Dbrick whoever i think it will be around the # 6-8 pick. I know we dont want too many picks here. we would already have #3, the top 3 picks in the 2 2nd rounders and then 4 3rds. Thats 7 day 1 picks = not gonna happen. Then i say we trade down or trade into next years draft. Package a couple of those 3rd rounders and get another 2nd rounder. Or even package 2 of the 2nd rounders and move up for Huff.

GUYS PLS DONT LIMIT US TO JUST BUSH BECAUSE WILL LOSE OUT ON OTHER VALUEABLE PLAYERS

sry 4 caps
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005   #20
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
I think some way we will end up picking around 8-10. Bc i know 49ers, Jets, GB all are looking at Bush and will make a push to get him.

Then after that there is Leinhart so if we do to say 49ers then it becomes whose the highest bidder for him now.

So we could trade down to 49ers so they can get bush
then trade down to #3 so that the Jets can get Leinhart

so #1 for #2, 2nd and 3rd next year
then #2 for #3 and 2 3rds and 5th.

soo... you see where this can go right. If we want Winston or Dbrick whoever i think it will be around the # 6-8 pick. I know we dont want too many picks here. we would already have #3, the top 3 picks in the 2 2nd rounders and then 4 3rds. Thats 7 day 1 picks = not gonna happen. Then i say we trade down or trade into next years draft. Package a couple of those 3rd rounders and get another 2nd rounder. Or even package 2 of the 2nd rounders and move up for Huff.

GUYS PLS DONT LIMIT US TO JUST BUSH BECAUSE WILL LOSE OUT ON OTHER VALUEABLE PLAYERS

sry 4 caps
After the first pick you will not get as much for say the second pick if thats where we went. Everyone knows we are not looking for a QB, unless he were a phenom and there are no Mannings or John Elways this year. If we trade the first pick don't look for a lot of interest our way.(They don't think we would pass on Bush. They do think we would pass on Lienert.) We don't have enough Poker chips to sale anyone on that. And as far as limiting us if we pick Bush, what is that all about? We do get more than one pick this year.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read