Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2005   #1
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bush elects to stay in college...

...and play his senior year because he wants no part of the Texans. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it'd be a shame that they would have to concentrate instead on the offensive line or something like that, wouldn't it?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

That would suck.. course I think we could still get good trade down value for Lienart.

Either way.. Bush knows he is gonna be a top 5 pick.. even if he stays.. I dont think he could hope for a better team to go to than Houston. I mean.. the other teams that will have top 5 picks are pretty much born and bred losers. At least with the Texans you know that they are really fighting to be a winning team.. and are willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Im sure all the top college prospects wish that the Patriots or Steelers or Falcons or Eagles would do some huge trade up and grab them.. but it doesnt happen.. so they should be happy that they could be drafted by a team that DOESNT have multiple decades of losing under their belt.

But like I said.. if he doesnt.. i think we could still get good trade down value for Lienart.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the trade down value would be as great. When McNair pays Carr that big bonus before the draft our hand will be played and every team wanting Leinart will know that the Texans aren't who you need to give top value to for the Leinart pick because the Texans aren't going to select him. You deal with the next team in line. He's got value but if you can be sitting there on the top and pitting Leinart-fan GM's against Bush-fan GM's then you've really got something to work with.
Old 12-11-2005   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
...and play his senior year because he wants no part of the Texans. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
That would not be the best financial decision for him. Look at leinart. he would easily have been the first pick in last year's draft. This year it is clear he will not be first. He might go second, but some mocks i have seen have him dropping to 4-6. Leinart took a chance to go back to school and in terms of $ he will lose a certain amount on his rookie contract. If Bush does the same thing he has a strong chance to lose out just like Leinart did. Thus going back to school i not fiscally smart.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Mods think we can merge this with

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=15473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I don't think the trade down value would be as great. When McNair pays Carr that big bonus before the draft our hand will be played and every team wanting Leinart will know that the Texans aren't who you need to give top value to for the Leinart pick because the Texans aren't going to select him. You deal with the next team in line. He's got value but if you can be sitting there on the top and pitting Leinart-fan GM's against Bush-fan GM's then you've really got something to work with.
Just because the Texans pay Carr his $8mill doesnt mean they wont take Lienart .... They could draft him for the purpose of trading him kinda like San Deigo did w/ Eli Manning ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
True teams would know that we aren't going to pick him, but if the team at #2 wants him and more teams farther below want him then they would still trade up knowing that if they don't he will be gone at #2. While I don't really want us to get Bush, I still hope he comes out because that would possibly give us a double trade-down opportunity to acquire more draft picks.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2005   #8
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Quote:
He then goes on to blow out his knee during his senior year and we draft him in the 7th round anyway.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

McNair has said that he is going to take a more active role in the team now. That being said, there is no way that he will pass up the gold mine that will be Reggie Bush.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
McNair has said that he is going to take a more active role in the team now. That being said, there is no way that he will pass up the gold mine that will be Reggie Bush.
I wouldn't say that at all, McNair will hopefully start paying closer attention to the team and realize we have more problems to address than to draft Bush.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

in the article. Bush says he is concentrating on the Rose bowl and will decide afterward.. He did say in the article that he likes the east coast and wouldn't mind the Jets. This came saturday night

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Well the Jets are out of it so I think they aren't even an issue. Reggie is coming out. His step father has said that he has nothing more to prove at the collegiate level. His family is looking for agents as we speak. If you notice, he is kind of talking about USC in the past tense already "these past three years have been great" kind of statements. What more does he have to gain? He won the heisman by the one of the largest margins in the history of the award and is on the verge of winning 3 national championships in 3 years.

McNair is not going to pass on him if he is available. Characterwise, he is the kind of guy that the team is looking for. He is a marketing gold mine. He is fast, has unbelievable moves, great hands, great at picking up the blitz, an extremely instinctual runner, strong (benches over 400 lbs), is hard working, and is humble.

We may not need a RB. But you don't get a chance to draft a player like Reggie Bush too often.

Hearing guys like Mel Kiper Jr. and various reporters talking about how great he is, is one thing, but having guys like LaDainian Tomlinson, Gale Sayers, Steve Young, and every other coach and current or former player saying that this guy is the real deal is another.

You may not agree with me and the rest of the people who want Reggie Bush now, but this time next year if he is on our team you will be very happy that he plays for us and not some other team in the league.

I'm sick of hearing from everyone how we have Davis so we don't need Reggie Bush. We can have both on our team, we don't need to have either one or the other. Right now we have two playmakers on the team, Davis and Johnson, teams can control both because they can stick a safety on Johnson and a linebacker or two on Davis. If we have Davis, Johnson, and Bush, they will have to make a choice on who they are going to contain. That is what makes the Colts so dangerous. If you try to contain Harrison and James then Reggie Wayne or Brandon Stokely is going to beat you. If you try If you try to contain the receivers, then Edgerrin James is going to beat you.

With the right coach and an addition or two, our line will go from pathetic to serviceable, and they will only get better with time because you need to have guys working with each other, not shuffling them in and out every single game.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #13
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Well the Jets are out of it so I think they aren't even an issue. Reggie is coming out. His step father has said that he has nothing more to prove at the collegiate level. His family is looking for agents as we speak. If you notice, he is kind of talking about USC in the past tense already "these past three years have been great" kind of statements. What more does he have to gain? He won the heisman by the one of the largest margins in the history of the award and is on the verge of winning 3 national championships in 3 years.

McNair is not going to pass on him if he is available. Characterwise, he is the kind of guy that the team is looking for. He is a marketing gold mine. He is fast, has unbelievable moves, great hands, great at picking up the blitz, an extremely instinctual runner, strong (benches over 400 lbs), is hard working, and is humble.

We may not need a RB. But you don't get a chance to draft a player like Reggie Bush too often.

Hearing guys like Mel Kiper Jr. and various reporters talking about how great he is, is one thing, but having guys like LaDainian Tomlinson, Gale Sayers, Steve Young, and every other coach and current or former player saying that this guy is the real deal is another.

You may not agree with me and the rest of the people who want Reggie Bush now, but this time next year if he is on our team you will be very happy that he plays for us and not some other team in the league.

I'm sick of hearing from everyone how we have Davis so we don't need Reggie Bush. We can have both on our team, we don't need to have either one or the other. Right now we have two playmakers on the team, Davis and Johnson, teams can control both because they can stick a safety on Johnson and a linebacker or two on Davis. If we have Davis, Johnson, and Bush, they will have to make a choice on who they are going to contain. That is what makes the Colts so dangerous. If you try to contain Harrison and James then Reggie Wayne or Brandon Stokely is going to beat you. If you try If you try to contain the receivers, then Edgerrin James is going to beat you.

With the right coach and an addition or two, our line will go from pathetic to serviceable, and they will only get better with time because you need to have guys working with each other, not shuffling them in and out every single game.
Man, a formation with Davis in the backfield, Johnson to one side, Reggie Wayne to the other(FA cmon lets get him) and Bush in the slot... wow!

we use our second and 1 of our thirds on o-line since its such a deep draft, and use our other third on a TE like david thomas.
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006   #14
Quickie08
Rookie

Quote:
A hoot? My grandpa uses that phrase. Geez.... Anyway, I am happy Bush came out. We should select him with the first pick in the draft.
Quickie08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read