Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-30-2004   #1
BigTex
Rookie

Default Washington Redskins Low On Numbers

Redskins | Running High On Players, But Low On Numbers - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:14:06 -0700

Mark Zuckerman, of the Washington Times, reports with 85 players scheduled to participate at this weekend's minicamp, the Washington Redskins have run out of available uniform numbers. On Thursday, April 29, Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs suggested he may call some of the team's franchise legends to seek permission to reinstate numbers that have been unofficially retired over the years. "It's become a problem," Gibbs said. "I think what I'm going to do is consult some of those guys whose numbers haven't been used, see what their opinion is. ... Obviously, you don't want to do something that hurts somebody's feelings." One problem is with the 80s, where every number but former Redskins WR Art Monk's 81 has been issued, which left Redskins WR James Thrash was not assigned a number as of Thursday.

What The Hell? When you retire someone's number it is there 4 LIFE you don't just call em and say " Hey um we ran out of numbers and we are going to take that banner down that has your number hanging high in the stadium to give it to someonelse. What a crock of crap
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Amen, BigTex

If you don't have enough numbers, duplicate them like they do in college. One #20 on offense and one # 20 on defense. It is only mini-camp and training camp, when the roster is cut for training camp the numbers won't be a problem.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #3
BigTex
Rookie

Exactly, when you retire someone's number you do not retire it "Temporarily" you retire it 4 LIFE. That's just Bull Sh!T in my mind. If I were an Ex Hall Of Fame Redskin I would not be pleased at the moment.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #4
geka
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
reinstate numbers that have been unofficially retired over the years.
whats the problem?
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #5
BigTex
Rookie

Ah, Didn't see the UNofficaly retired numbers, but still you said No-One will wear that number again you cannot just take that honor away.
Old 04-30-2004   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What The Hell? When you retire someone's number it is there 4 LIFE you don't just call em and say " Hey um we ran out of numbers and we are going to take that banner down that has your number hanging high in the stadium to give it to someonelse. What a crock of crap
What are teams going to do in 30 years? Use negatives? You have to bring the numbers back eventually. Unless they decided to go into three digit numbers.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #7
BigTex
Rookie

Well If you are going to bring the number back in 30 years tell me why Reps. Of teams tell that person " Noone will ever wear your number again " I understand that these numbers are UnOfficaly retired but your comment caught me on surpirse. Emmit Smith's number was retired for the Cowboys, they said " NOBODY will ever wear No. 22 again " Now you say that they have to undo that eventually or else they run out of numbers. Well then my answer is stop telling them no-one will ever wear there number again or just don't retire numbers.
Old 04-30-2004   #8
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well If you are going to bring the number back in 30 years tell me why Reps. Of teams tell that person " Noone will ever wear your number again " I understand that these numbers are UnOfficaly retired but your comment caught me on surpirse. Emmit Smith's number was retired for the Cowboys, they said " NOBODY will ever wear No. 22 again " Now you say that they have to undo that eventually or else they run out of numbers. Well then my answer is stop telling them no-one will ever wear there number again or just don't retire numbers.
Who knows why they do any of the things they do. Not me.
Old 04-30-2004   #9
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

It will become a problem for every team. I think sooner or later they will have to let players wear retired numbers. BUT that won't be until 50 to 60 years from now for most teams. So it's all good as of right now.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Eventually you will run out of numbers. I guess they could do something like give someone 22B and the number on the jersey is just "22" but the official number is 22B. Something like that or they will have to stop retiring numbers.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #11
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Teams mean well...and this goes for all American sports but I too think this in turn hurts the team as well and maybe they should just stop doing this.
Old 04-30-2004   #12
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
Teams mean well...and this goes for all American sports but I too think this in turn hurts the team as well and maybe they should just stop doing this.
Good idea.

I dont have a problem with retireing a jersey for someone like Emmitt Smith, or Pat Tillman.

Retireing a jersey has almost lost its meaning to me, because they have so many retired numbers now that its not such a big deal.
Old 05-01-2004   #13
texans
Veteran

Lightbulb

at least we wont have this problem for a while
texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #14
TattooedJT
waterboy

I think that it is only a matter of time before the retiring of numbers has to be stopped .....it only adds up that if you continue to retire the numbers of players that eventually you will run out of numbers for the players that you have on your team at that time

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TattooedJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I dont see the problem the skins are having. You can only bring 63 players into the season. Just duplicate the numbers for the preseason and then some guys will be cut. Thats what the Texans are doing and they dont have any #s retired.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #16
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I dont see the problem the skins are having. You can only bring 63 players into the season. Just duplicate the numbers for the preseason and then some guys will be cut. Thats what the Texans are doing and they dont have any #s retired.
We should retire #71, for Tony Boselli for all the great games, and blocking he did for Carr. Oh, wait. Nevermind.
Old 05-04-2004   #17
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
We should retire #71, for Tony Boselli for all the great games, and blocking he did for Carr. Oh, wait. Nevermind.
In that case, we should also retire Charles Hill's Number as the greatest draft pick selected by the Texans
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #18
wiley2002
Veteran

Just issue something on using 3 digit numbers and be done with it, IMHO.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read