Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-10-2005   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default interesting MB opinion on davis's value

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=34232
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #2
Dunta_23
All Pro

Looks like a lot of ppl hold DD in high regard...too bad most Texans fans dont appreciate him and the hard work he does.
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, fans come up with all kinds of ideas about players. I think their comments made about as much sense as some of the stuff that's said in here on any given day. I noticed a general consensus in those posts that Houston has the worst offensive line in the known universe and it came across to me that the posters didn't much differentiate between pass protection and run blocking. That's a lot like what you read in here.
Old 12-10-2005   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Well, fans come up with all kinds of ideas about players. I think their comments made about as much sense as some of the stuff that's said in here on any given day. I noticed a general consensus in those posts that Houston has the worst offensive line in the known universe and it came across to me that the posters didn't much differentiate between pass protection and run blocking. That's a lot like what you read in here.
true, but that can be found in any message board. I just wanted to point out to the "draft reggie" posters, that davis still has tremendous value to our team, and you would beat yourself up after he goes to a team like denver or pitt.

Granted, our team is a better run blocking team than pass blocking, but that is no consolation. We are still below average at best. Davis hits the hole very fast and has great initial burst through the line and into the next level, its after this that he is not capable of hitting a few more gears.

With adequate to above average blocking, run and pass, davis would be a pro-bolwer.
Old 12-10-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think the smart thing to do would be to keep Domanick Davis on the team, even if they draft Reggie Bush. Bush probably wont be carrying the ball 30 times a game. To succeed in most offenses today, two running backs is probably the way to go. (Dal- JJ and Barber, Pit- Staley Bettis Parker, Cin- Perry and Johnson, Atl- Duckett and Dunn, etc.) Having Bush and Davis in the same offense would be electric. The OT position is pretty stacked in this draft and Houston can find a good OT in the 2nd round. This teams biggest need would be OLine but a player like Reggie Bush cannot be passed up, no matter what. Also, Davis just recently signed a 4 year contract extension. Instead of taking a cap hit by trading him, they should keep him and form a dynamic duo in the backfield.

This is exactly what I have been saying that we should do.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think the smart thing to do would be to keep Domanick Davis on the team, even if they draft Reggie Bush. Bush probably wont be carrying the ball 30 times a game. To succeed in most offenses today, two running backs is probably the way to go. (Dal- JJ and Barber, Pit- Staley Bettis Parker, Cin- Perry and Johnson, Atl- Duckett and Dunn, etc.) Having Bush and Davis in the same offense would be electric. The OT position is pretty stacked in this draft and Houston can find a good OT in the 2nd round. This teams biggest need would be OLine but a player like Reggie Bush cannot be passed up, no matter what. Also, Davis just recently signed a 4 year contract extension. Instead of taking a cap hit by trading him, they should keep him and form a dynamic duo in the backfield.

This is exactly what I have been saying that we should do.

reggie will be a fine player in the league in the time he is here...(i dont see him having a long career) but all of this top tier talent in the second round is dependent on how certian players grade out.

For instance: Jon Scott will fall like a rock at the combine. If the top O-line in the second is between Scott, Witworth, and Winston Justice, then there is no way you would have passed on at LT first. You judge talent, and talent will not slip far.

If the coaching staff feels that all of the top LT's will be gone, then they will take one first, if they feel a joe thomas will slip, not likely, but then they could understandably go with another option...bush being one of them.
Old 12-10-2005   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

We need a tackle, not necessarily a right tackle. Some of those guys who are good tackles, but not the D'Brick's and Winston's of the NCAA could be adequate right tackles. We also could go with a guard like Jean Gilles or that guy from Oklahoma
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2005   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We need a tackle, not necessarily a right tackle. Some of those guys who are good tackles, but not the D'Brick's and Winston's of the NCAA could be adequate right tackles. We also could go with a guard like Jean Gilles or that guy from Oklahoma

yes, but all depends on how everyone grades out. D'brick will not be the top LT. Probally second, w/joe thomas pushing him for that. Winson will be the top LT after workouts in my opinion.

The guys i mentioned arent RT's in the pros. All three are servicalbe, but not elite. They are not big enough and do not have the right mentality to play RT, but are just not good enough overall to rate as a cant miss o-line upgrade.
Old 12-11-2005   #9
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Brick and Winston will not even grade out at Gross or Gallery level.

The top tackle MAY go 8 or 9 in this draft. The value of Bush AND Davis in the same backfield under a completely new regime and a free agent OL is much better grade than simply picking a tackle because we need any one that we can get.

Top of the first won't be significantly better that the top of the second. Plus, we oughta try and get some mauler-types at RT or LG. Drop McKinney and call all roll out passes away from Wade!!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The question isnt what other teams FANS think he's worth but what those other teams GM's think he's worth .

I'd put his value around the Low second to Mid 3rd round as far as a trade goes .... But I do agree he's a top 5 back and would NOT trade him for the value above . Breakaway speed or not , DD simply puts up numbers .

Add to that DD is a team player in the ultimate team sport and works very hard to better himself .... doesnt let things go to his head .

Im in the Keep DD club .... probably in the minority.... but if Im GM .... Bush or No Bush DD stays a Texan

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

yes, i agree. I wasn't saying this is his value based on a message board's opinion. I was just hoping that the teams not blinded by their love for bush, could help get the general consensous through that DD is a great back.
Old 12-11-2005   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

It's not the smartest thing to go by what other fans of other teams say about our players because they never see us play more than once or, at the most, twice. They go by fantasy stats.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
It's not the smartest thing to go by what other fans of other teams say about our players because they never see us play more than once or, at the most, twice. They go by fantasy stats.
tis true, but it is just reaffirming a minority opion on this message board: keep davis. Other fans are not blinded by bush and would love to have davis on their team. I guess im hoping our fans quit b***hing about him, since he IS our most productive player.
Old 12-12-2005   #14
Sportsfan
All Pro

2 words for ya---- Keep Domanick!
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
It's frequently not the smartest thing to go by what fans of your team say either. McNair will make sure he takes the right steps to build this team this year.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #16
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Frankly, LT seems to be the only position on the line that works OK in pass blocking. Pitts isn't all-world or anything, but he's pro caliber and that's more than you can say for the other positions.

I know, I know. Everyone wants Pitts to be LG, but I don't really care what his ideal position is, I care how he performs in the spot we have him in.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read