Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2005   #1
mj.
Rookie

Default Justice puts the nail in Casserly's coffin...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/3515657.html

Wow... Casserly is soooo fired.

My favorite line:
"Turns out, the Texans watched only four of Buchanon's 2004 games. McNair was flabbergasted."

Does anybody have Ron Wolf's cell number?
I can't wait for Texans 2.0!!!
mj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just about to create this thread. I just read that column. It's about time for McNair to take control of this mess and I like the comments he made. At least his mistake has been too much hands off instead of too much hands on and I think he's gonna get this franchise going the right direction starting this off-season.

From reading that article, though, I don't get the feeling he's actually gonna fire Casserly.

Wonder how Buchannon feels about the publicity.

Last edited by HJam72; 12-10-2005 at 04:44 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article.. I am glad McNair learned the hard lessons now.. im betting that McNairs new attitude will have as much, or more, of an impact on the success of this team in the future, than a new coach.

Id like to see Casserly replaced personally.. but Casserly's track record is pretty much 50/50.. and the big mistakes havent really popped up until recently. I can live with it if Casserly stays.. but if we go another year and it seems like none of the players we got over the offseason have made a difference... then Casserly needs to get the boot.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, that article tells me that Casserly will be staying. I can understand McNair not wanting to fire everybody (coaches and GM) and totally start over, especially if there are no qualified GMs available, but I truly believe Casserly is a major part of the problem and I dread going through another draft with him playing a major role.

What type of head coach will want to work for Cass? There's probably two answers. The first is the young coach who is getting his first shot at an NFL head coaching job. The second is a retread who is just glad to have a job. Hopefully McNair won't have to settle for the latter and is able to lure a top candidate here, but if Casserly is still here and on notice, what motivation is there for the new head coach to fall in line when he knows he may outlast the GM ... especially if McNair plays a major role and makes the final decision on the new head coach and the length of his contract?

The quote "You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL.' is vintage Casserly. I've heard him say that - in his classic snotty way - to callers on his radio show on SportsRadio 610 (back when there were callers to his show). I can't believe he had the audacity to say that to Mr. McNair.....well, on second thought, yes I can.

It's good to see that McNair isn't going to simply accept what the GM tells him any longer - if that's truly what's been happening. It's hard to determine whether some of the problems we are seeing are more a function of the GM or the coaching staff, but the fact is that Casserly has been the one with full accept and veto powers on player personnel up to this point, and in my opinion he is at least as responsible as Capers for this mess - if not more - especially when you factor in the number of draft choices given up for x player or the $$$ and length of contracts given to y player.

As far as Casserly's record being 50-50, check out his draft record and won-loss record when he didn't have Bobby Beathard or Joe Gibbs around him.

Last edited by aj.; 12-10-2005 at 11:23 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with AJ. If anything the article says Casserly is staying. To bad because he is part of the problem.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It reads like the nail should be in his coffin.

Obviously, McNair did not come into the organization thinking that he was smarter than his football people, but at the same time he did not ask enough question as to why the football people were doing this thing or that thing. I am going to go out on limb and say that all of sudden Casserly will get smarter because of McNair will ask real questions.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

""We're five or six players away from being a good team," he said. "We're not that far away. We don't need to tear the whole structure down and start over."
I'll buy your analysis about being five or six players away from being a good
team Mr. McNair, but the conclusion that that means we aren't that far
away from being a good team (maybe playoff team), I'm not necessarily buying. One or two players away is close, but 5 or 6 maybe is not close and requires a couple years, especially if you're talking blue chippers at key positions.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2005   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, so maybe, just maybe we win 6 games next year and make the playoffs the year after that. I can live with that. I think 3 years is probably more like it at this point though.
Old 12-10-2005   #9
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The quote "You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL." is vintage Casserly. I've heard him say that - in his classic snotty way - to callers on his radio show on SportsRadio 610 (back when there were callers to his show). I can't believe he had the audacity to say that to Mr. McNair.....well, on second thought, yes I can.
That quote was from McNair.

From the chronicle: "Some have misinterpreted his patience as complacency. In truth, no one appears to have learned more hard lessons this season than McNair himself. No one has been changed more.

"I'll be more hands-on in the future," he said. "I've observed for four years. When you're new, I think there's a feeling you have to do everything your football people tell you. You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL.'"
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #10
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

That column exposed Casserly for the incompetent hack that he is. I can't imagine why McNair would not want to fire him, because the Buchanon trade is far from the only evidence we've seen that Casserly is in over his head. I guess McNair is not convinced he can get someone better. But after 4 years of Casserly, it's hard for me to imagine someone doing worse. Oh well.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #11
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the key statement in the article for me:

We'll all know a lot more about McNair this time next year. He and Casserly appear to have begun work on a blueprint for 2006.
And meaning together, not Casserly you are fired.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect that CC will be on a VERY short leash and have a lot of conversation with McNair regarding EVERYTHING until the ship is righted. In business when things aren't going well you you take an active role, not making the decisions, but requiring answers about who, what & why until things right themselves. If the ones who are in charge of the who, what & why can't make the right decisions, you find new ones. I doubt that CC is gone, but he has 1-2 years to turn it or he is toast. With McNair more involved and asking questions, I suspect that we will be having a more CONVENTIONAL draft and free agency posture.

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by edo783; 12-10-2005 at 09:49 AM.
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato
That quote was from McNair.
I know that.

McNair's quote begins with "You hear..."

But the rest of the quote is what he's been hearing.

Now, who do you think McNair has been hearing that 'advice' from? Hint: Look about six inches above and to the left of this mark X. Next time I'll be more careful with the leading quotation mark and italics.

Last edited by aj.; 12-10-2005 at 11:23 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #14
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I agree with AJ. If anything the article says Casserly is staying. To bad because he is part of the problem.
I too take it that Casserly is staying. They are talking about plans for the 2006 season. What a shame!

On PBurn, someone definitely didn't do their homework. How could you be in such a high position and be so lame??????

Bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #15
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride

We'll all know a lot more about McNair this time next year. He and Casserly appear to have begun work on a blueprint for 2006.
I was all excited until I read that fatal last sentence. If McNair is not the type to fire until season is over then this makes sense for them to start a 2006 blueprint because this is when planning for next season normally starts. It doesn't mean that CC goose isn't cooked though.

Only problem I see is who do we hire if we do fire CC. Sure there are a couple names out there but ae any of them any better than CC.

Stupid question, what about Jimmy Johnson as a GM. As long as we keep our cap strategist (I think his name is Ferens) all he has to do is scout talent and get them here. I know he doesn't want to leave the lovely confines of the FL coastline but if he does want back in then this would be a perfect opportunity.
Old 12-10-2005   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
I too take it that Casserly is staying. They are talking about plans for the 2006 season. What a shame!

On PBurn, someone definitely didn't do their homework. How could you be in such a high position and be so lame??????

Bobby 119C:brickwall
That's what keeps bugging me too. I just can't figure that out. They new there were bad rumors and they new they were giving up a lot to get him, so they put a half effort into checking him out and then pulled the trigger just in the nick of time, effectively letting what's-his-face from the Raiders rip them off and shooting themselves in the butt. Nice move guys. If I had those brains, I might get paid millions.
Old 12-10-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
I dunno.....I do more homework when I buy a new TV set, these guys were
really playing fast and loose with the ole mans first day draft picks.
Anyway, McNair says we're 5 or 6 players away from being a "good team".
I'm thinking another tackle to go with Chester and a real TE for the offense,
and (assuming we go 4-3), we'd need a solid pass rushing DE, a MLB and
another decent corner across from D-Rob. But getting quality players at those
5 spots is probably 2 Drafts, unless we'd really score in FA this offseason.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #18
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride

This makes me wonder just how much of the light Mr. McNair has seen? I can understand his desire to not blow up everything, but can he not see that Cass is part of the problem and not the solution? This also makes me angry at Charley because it appears that his campaign to keep his job by shifting blame to Dom and his staff has succeeded. Casserly better be on the shortest of leashes, meaning if we do not make the playoffs, or at least win 8 or 9 games, next year then he must be sent packing.

Anybody looking forward to the draft now that it looks like Casserly will still be holding the reins?
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj.
Does anybody have Ron Wolf's cell number?
I can't wait for Texans 2.0!!!

That would be SWEET!
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does'nt like to tackle and can't cover WRs . Do you get the feeling all GM's line up to call CC when they need picks .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read