Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-09-2005   #1
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Default How to root for the Texans and want a high draft pick

Here's the 16 games this week and who to cheer for, based on weakening the Texans' strength of schedule, or improving the SOS of the 2-10 teams (Jets, Niners, Packers).

Texans over Titans, 1. because we're Texans fans, 2. its the Titans, and 3. because this gains two games on the Jets and Packers in SOS and one game on the Niners

Vikings over Rams, gain two games on Packers

Bears over Steelers, gain two games on Packers

Bucs over Panthers, gain one game on Jets, 49s, Packers. Consolation prize - we gain one on Jets and Pack

Jags over Colts, 1. They're the Colts, 2. gain one game on Jets

Pats over Bills, gain one on Jets

Bengals/Browns, lose one on Jets and Niners no matter what

Niners over Hawks, improves Niners' record, consolation prize - lose one to Jets, gain one on Niners

Giants over Eaglers, gain one on Niners, consolation prize - gain one on Pack

Jets over Raiders, improves Jets record, consolation prize - gain one on Jets

Redskins over Cards, gain one on Niners

Dolphins over Chargers, gain two on Jets, consolation prize - gain one on Jets

Broncos over Ravens, gain one on Jets

Cowboys over Chiefs, gain one on Niners

Pack over Lions, improves Pack record, consolation prize - gain two on Pack

Saints/Falcons, gain one on Jets and Pack regardless of winner

Interestingly enough, most of these are somewhat likely. The ones that are craziest have consolation prizes. Jags over Colts and Cowboys over Chiefs look like the toughest to swing in the Texans' favor.

Last edited by Sarg01; 12-09-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #2
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice homework! Some of you guys amaze me; I think it's amazing how you all can come up with some of these stats!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I...uhhh....yeah, what he said!

Of course I root for the Texans to win [ALWAYS]...but seeing some specials on Reggie Bush this past few days does make me want my cake and eat it, too.

I can see the Packers beating the Lions, and even the Jets maybe beating the Raiders. But hoping the 49ers beat the Falcons is just too much to hope for. I could happen, though...
Old 12-09-2005   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I can see the Packers beating the Lions, and even the Jets maybe beating the Raiders. ...

Both very possible and Kerry Collins (Raiders) has been benched for this weeks game .... makes the QB position a push , both starters in thsi game are pathetic

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Both very possible and Kerry Collins (Raiders) has been benched for this weeks game .... makes the QB position a push , both starters in thsi game are pathetic
True, but the Raiders at least have Moss and Porter that can make almost any QB look good and Lamont Jordan running pretty well, the few weapons the Jets have had are basically all hurt.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Well, I just can't talk about the Texans/Titans game so soon after that ending, so here's an analysis on draft standing as of mid-day Sunday.

Start at +3 vs. Jets, -1 to Packers, Niners (draft favors easier SOS, thus we want to be at negative numbers vs other teams)

Jets over Raiders - No SOS impact, but Jets are now a 3-win team

Titans over Texans - +2 victories vs. Packers, +1 victory vs. Niners, +2 vs. Jets

Vikings over Rams - -2 victories vs. Packers

Steelers over Bears - +1 victory vs. Niners, Jets

Bucs over Panthers - -1 vs. Niners, Packers, Jets

Colts over Jaguars - +2 vs Jets, Packers, +1 vs. Niners

Pats over Bills - -1 vs. Jets

Bengals over Browns - -1 vs. Jets, Niners

SOS so far, +6 vs. Jets (3-victories), 0 vs. Niners (2-victories), 0 vs. Packers (2-victories)
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005   #7
yaboycm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
Here's the 16 games this week and who to cheer for, based on weakening the Texans' strength of schedule, or improving the SOS of the 2-10 teams (Jets, Niners, Packers).

Texans over Titans, 1. because we're Texans fans, 2. its the Titans, and 3. because this gains two games on the Jets and Packers in SOS and one game on the Niners

Vikings over Rams, gain two games on Packers

Bears over Steelers, gain two games on Packers

Bucs over Panthers, gain one game on Jets, 49s, Packers. Consolation prize - we gain one on Jets and Pack

Jags over Colts, 1. They're the Colts, 2. gain one game on Jets

Pats over Bills, gain one on Jets

Bengals/Browns, lose one on Jets and Niners no matter what

Niners over Hawks, improves Niners' record, consolation prize - lose one to Jets, gain one on Niners

Giants over Eaglers, gain one on Niners, consolation prize - gain one on Pack

Jets over Raiders, improves Jets record, consolation prize - gain one on Jets

Redskins over Cards, gain one on Niners

Dolphins over Chargers, gain two on Jets, consolation prize - gain one on Jets

Broncos over Ravens, gain one on Jets

Cowboys over Chiefs, gain one on Niners

Pack over Lions, improves Pack record, consolation prize - gain two on Pack

Saints/Falcons, gain one on Jets and Pack regardless of winner

Interestingly enough, most of these are somewhat likely. The ones that are craziest have consolation prizes. Jags over Colts and Cowboys over Chiefs look like the toughest to swing in the Texans' favor.
Too much crap going on here scientist. Just hope the Texans lose games and WIN REGGIE BUSH
Old 12-12-2005   #8
spyder66
Rookie

Cool Keep the losses coming!

All I can say is for the past few weeks, I've been cheering for the Texans to lose, and I will continue to do so until the end of the season. They can't afford to start winning now. It would be a stupid move on their behalf if they did. Don't get me wrong, I support the Texans just as much as anybody else here in Houston, but at this stage of the game, why blow a first-round draft pick? At this point, it's time to be thinking about next season since this one has sucked so incredibly bad.

These are just my thoughts.

spyder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #9
Dime
Hall of Fame

You are not a fan, just a troll. A fan would want the team to win no matter what. Playing for the draft is dumb and normally never works right. You are telling a team you support them and then cheer against them. Kinda works on thier mind dont you think. Thoughts like this amaze me on why you believe you are a fan.
Old 12-12-2005   #10
spyder66
Rookie

Default Opinions... everybody has one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
You are not a fan, just a troll. A fan would want the team to win no matter what. Playing for the draft is dumb and normally never works right. You are telling a team you support them and then cheer against them. Kinda works on thier mind dont you think. Thoughts like this amaze me on why you believe you are a fan.
I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt, but I'm a realist not a troll as you put it... Explain to me then, what would the Texans achieve if they start winning now? Nothing! IMO, they need to get rid of Casserly, Capers, and maybe even Carr... you can play the "blame game" all you want, but the announcers made a very interesting point and that is that the Texans have lost most of their games this season 5 points or less. A loss is still a loss, and you can point fingers all day long, but it will never solve anything. If you want to give up the opportunity to get Reggie Bush, then by all means... support the Texans to win the rest of their games so they can end up with a third or fourth-round draft pick instead. Having the first-round draft pick will also give the Texans some bargaining power that might allow them to concentrate on a couple of key players instead of just one. So, whether you like what I have to say or not, I really don't care. I'm just trying to forsee the BIG picture and envision a winning season next year.
Old 12-12-2005   #11
playoff year please
Veteran

Default I have been rooting for loses also

I have been getting what I have wished for the past few weeks. Be in the game, and even be able to say we should have won the game, but lose. Keep the #1 pick, but look better, that is what I want. I don't know if Bush is the right pick or not, but #1 could mean a lot in the trade market.
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #12
playoff year please
Veteran

Default Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoff year please
I have been getting what I have wished for the past few weeks. Be in the game, and even be able to say we should have won the game, but lose. Keep the #1 pick, but look better, that is what I want. I don't know if Bush is the right pick or not, but #1 could mean a lot in the trade market.
Crap, I sound like Capers career.
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #13
spyder66
Rookie

Default No, you don't sound like Capers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoff year please
Crap, I sound like Capers career.
I think you are thinking logically, which you have to during a game of chess. And that's exactly what this boils down to... an over-glorified chess game.

You also have to think about the revenue that is being lost right now because of Texans merchandise sales being way down. You compare that to the Astros revenue sales towards the end of their season, and you can certainly see a tremendous difference. These revenue sales help keep the money circulating throughout the Houston market as a whole and helps boost our economy. If our teams are losing so does some of our local businesses. So you have to think of it in those terms too.
Old 12-12-2005   #14
spyder66
Rookie

Default I support our economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
When you put " I support the Texans " and tell us you are cheering for them to loose.. that like p####g down our necks and telling us it is rain.
If you read my last comment, it explains what I'm talking about.
Old 12-12-2005   #15
spyder66
Rookie

Default Some Better Understanding...

Some people might think that I'm not a real fan, esp. based on my comments this week... if that were true, then why did I feel anxiety when the Texans blew a sure win two weeks ago with 34 seconds to go in the game? If I weren't a real fan, why would I drive all the way to Indianapolis to watch our team lose to the Colts at the RCA dome two years ago? We cheered for the Texans as if they were going to the Super Bowl, and yes we were heckled by the Colts fans... so what.

My point is this...

In light of all that, I certainly was not thinking about a first-round draft pick two weeks ago, but that was then and this is now. All I was looking for was finishing out this season with a record similar to last years, not one that is going to be worse than the inaugural year.

Anyway, my points, comments, and opinions still stand. If anybody has a problem with them, that is fine. I'm not here to create arguments... all I'm doing is just adding some food for thought. Thanks!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read