Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2004   #1
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Default Rookie Expectations

I was at work and i was wondering ...what did i think the texans rookies where gonna produce? Well, i thought that Jason Babin would be able to step right into the role and put up relativley large numbers in his first year. i figure hell put up 9-11 sacks, 20 tfl, 120 tackles, and 2 ints. Rock on Jason! Then i was thinking about Dunta Robinson. I think hell have a little harder time getting used to the NFL. I predict that hell have 4 ints(1 for a TD), 11 passes defended, 26 tackles, and 1 sack(Capers likes the way he is able to blitz).
I just wanted to know what other folks thought. I cant wait for Training Camp Reports!
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems a little high to me.

I can see jason getting 5-7 sacks. below 80 tackles and an Int. if he is lucky. (He IS a rookie, and we do have 4 LB's running around.)

Dunta 2 ints. 2 sacks. (CB is hard for a rook. But 2 ints would still be impressive.)
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #3
SlimBooter
Rookie

My deal with rookies as far as their expectations are the guys drafted in the later rounds.

The guys drafted high (1st round) are fairly well known about their abilities and you hear a lot about them. I like to watch/read about the guys drafted in the later rounds.

I'm looking foward to watching Duff, Earl, and Sloan Thomas more so in training camp because we all know we'll get to see Babin and Robinson when the season rolls around.

With that being said:

Babin - 100 tackles, 6 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries, 6 sacks.
Robinson - 40 tackles, 8 Pass Defended, 3 INT (1 for TD).
SlimBooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #4
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

I cant wait to see who emerges from the pack for the 4th WR slot. Armstrong? Starling? Thomas? I like what i have seen from Sloane Thomas and Kendrick Starling. Starling, to me looks like he has HUGE potential. Good size, Excellent speed, and good hands. id like to see what both Thomas & Starling can do during the pre-season.
Old 07-30-2004   #5
SlimBooter
Rookie

I'm hoping Thomas makes it as KR and/or PR. He was overshadowed at Texas with Williams and the other guy. He has good speed and pretty decent hands. I went to high school with him.
SlimBooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
I cant wait to see who emerges from the pack for the 4th WR slot. Armstrong? Starling? Thomas?
The coaching staff loves Armstrong...

6-1/2 sacks for Babin
3 to 4 INTs for D-Rob

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #7
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

i know but how is his speed? How is his size?
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2004   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
His size is good and so is his speed. He was a star in the CFL.
Quote:
PRO: Strong, athletic receiver with great hands and leaping ability…signed with Texans as a free agent on 1/7/03…played in 28 games over two seasons in the Canadian Football League (CFL) with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
From his bio on this site

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 07-30-2004   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Armstrong is 6'2" 196 lbs--don't know his speed, but it is more like Gaffney than AJ and Bradford. Capers has says he makes great plays in traffic. Sounds like a good critical 1st down/red-zone receiver.
Old 07-30-2004   #10
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

sounds very nice to me
Old 07-30-2004   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

As far as Babin goes I see him getting 5 or 6 sacks, and around 75 or 80 tackles. He might get a fumble recovery or two, but since coverage will be new to him I dont see him getting any picks. I think Babin's real value will be seen in the stats Wong gets playing on the other side. He'll get more sacks than he has the past two years. Robinson will take some time to adjust, but I see him getting 2 or 3 picks, and perhaps 20 to 25 passes defensed. I think he'll be an excellent tackler, so I think he could be up in the 40's if he stays healthy and starts all year long. Duff will have a punt or kick return for a TD by seasons end. Had to at least mention one of the golden domers.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #12
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Personally, i hope Glenn Earl takes the job from Eric Brown. They said that Glenn is about 85-90% recovered. I think his 85-90% would be better than Eric Brown's 100%, but thats probably just me.
Old 07-30-2004   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Eric Brown is a good player. He is a hard hitter. Ive seen him lay the hat, and thats what I likes.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #14
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

i agree. I enjoy seeing someone getting laid out. Thats why i wanna see Earl play. He was dubbed the most ferocious hitter in college football.
Old 07-30-2004   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think the comments from Casserly and the Texans are that there is a strong possibility that Earl will be PUPed. For that reason I'm wondering how Lord works out.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Babin will have production along the lines of Posey did his only season here, as in single-digit sacks and good QB pressure. Babin ought to be much better against the run than Posey was though. I don't look for big sack numbers from a rookie learning a new position. Most of the great OLB's in 3-4's through the years had low sack numbers their rookie season since they are all guys who were undersized ends in College. It's going to take a full year to lean his new position.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #17
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

But V, what about Terrell Suggs? I think that Jason Babin is faster, and stronger than Suggs. He also had more total sacks than Suggs had in college(38-34), so it would seem logical to me that Babin SHOULD have a better season than Suggs did.
Old 07-30-2004   #18
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

I don't know if Jason Babin will be able to put up Terrell Suggs like numbers. He had 12 sacks, 1 int, and 6 forced fumbles. But he had only 27 tackles (8 assists). If Jason Babin is able to put up these numbers in his rookie season, I will be a very happy fan. However he should make a lot more tackles, atleast 40-50, but 12 sacks and 6 forced fumbles are very hard to get.
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think that Jason Babin is faster, and stronger than Suggs. He also had more total sacks than Suggs had in college(38-34), so it would seem logical to me that Babin SHOULD have a better season than Suggs did.
Suggs had the benefit of having Peter Bolware and Ray Lewis in the same LB corps. And if you are talking about total production, Suggs may have the best sack per play in league history for a single season. Suggs got 12 sacks as a limited pass rusher. The only time Suggs was on the field was in obvious passing situations. If Babin does have more sacks, I still think Suggs rookie season was more productive getting limited snaps...

Old 07-30-2004   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm not going to make any predictions as to our rookies's productiveness...all i'm going to point out is this...this past year dunta only had 1 int the whole season...so keep that in mind when you try to say he's going to have 4+ ints

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read