Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2005   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My 'Keys to Beating Tennessee'

Our Houston Texans will battle the rival Titans from Tennessee this Sunday.

Both teams are hungry for a win, so expect a hard fought game on both side of the ball. Here is what I think we need to do to pull this one out in a big game Sunday:

-Moderate yardage passing plays. Carr to Johnson hook-up should be tried at points during the game, espically on 3rd down situations

-Make big defensive plays. This key has been here for a few weeks now. Sometimes we make the big play on defense, sometimes we dont. We need to become more consistent in terms of stopping them on 3rd down.

-Solid special teams. No penalites on special teams firstly, secondly, make the field goals, as Kris Brown usually does. Chad Stanely has good punts, hopefully we will see that from him this game. Plus, a few solid returns possibly from Jerome Mathis

*Fans: Continue to cheer us on hearitly! Remember- We still have a chance to finish strong, and this is a big game to start.

Go Texans!
Old 12-08-2005   #2
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to run DD until his legs fall off. While the Titans have a horrible secondary, I think we need to manage the clock with some long drives and keep the ball away from McNair (against our horrible defense). Most importantly, manage the game better in the 4th quarter!

I admire your enthusiasm and appreciate your thread. However, I am still not sure a win here really does anything positive for the franchise.
houstonhurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

A win is never bad.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #4
bpergrem3
Rookie

We are in the hunt for the number one pick!!!!!

A win now would kill those chances. I didn't suffer through this year just so they can beat some bad teams at the end of the year and screw-up our draft.

LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

yeah we didn't come this far to blow it. i have faith that my texans will continue to suck it up for the next four games. i don't want to give McNair any possible reason to retain Capers and his staff. we can end the season with a firing or two and start the next with the drafting of our future star Reggie Bush.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
A win... not a positive for the franchise... good lord. Put yourself in the players frame of mind. All the work, the desire to win, the looses that they have. Good God, they need too taste a victory. The whole thing of playing is to enjoy the win. Heads will be held higher and spirts will soar. Yes, I know you want the #1 pick in the draft.. but that is still an unknown, that hasn't paid their dues to be a Houston Texan. These guys are the ones giving it up on the field..

they honestly dont appear to be giving to much up on the field.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
yeah we didn't come this far to blow it. i have faith that my texans will continue to suck it up for the next four games. i don't want to give McNair any possible reason to retain Capers and his staff. we can end the season with a firing or two and start the next with the drafting of our future star Reggie Bush.
i almost agree with your statements, but you know i dont agree with the last one.
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2005   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think it is funny how David Carr said that he doesn't have a problem with fans rooting for the #1 pick because the Texans have sucked and there are some great players at the top of the draft. At least he is honest.
Old 12-08-2005   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I think it is funny how David Carr said that he doesn't have a problem with fans rooting for the #1 pick because the Texans have sucked and there are some great players at the top of the draft. At least he is honest.
ya, he knows that the #1 pick secures a LT and more draft picks for the team.
Old 12-08-2005   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

or the most explosive player in the country
Old 12-08-2005   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some more keys.

Love the optimism.

* The Titanhicks special teams is ranked up near ours. Field position and not making special team mistakes will be important. Our season mirrors theirs--lots of young players and injuries do not mix well.

* No more letting McNair run around in the backfield until he can make a completion. His first game with all the time he had running around for one play made ESPN the Magazine--they diagramed the play from beginning to end with all the time he had. I remember that play as it happened and it was sick.

* Texans offense has to stay on the field and give the D a break. I would like for us to run a bunch again--Texans 3rd and longs make me have to watch the game through the cracks between my fingers as my hands are over my face.

* Whether think it is the best fan behavior to root for a win, or whether you think it is best to root for the #1 pick, I think many of us can agree on a key point regarding this game......

Bud Sux!!!!!

and also perhaps

The Flying Meatball is the worst logo in the league, with the Ravens logo not far behind. Am I leaving out honorable mentions???
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dear (butthead) Capers:

Please try to play Bradford and Coleman the rest of the year....oh, and get Buchannon back on the field. And you really ought to stop letting Mathis return kicks, um, cuz he could get hurt or something.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If we can win just ONE game between now and then end of the season, we can fall as far as the fourth pick. Come on Texans! Win one!
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #14
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

LOL @ Texans fans wanting the team to lose to the Titans. 1st pick or not, yall kill me.
Old 12-09-2005   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby
Our Houston Texans will battle the rival Titans from Tennessee this Sunday.

Both teams are hungry for a win, so expect a hard fought game on both side of the ball. Here is what I think we need to do to pull this one out in a big game Sunday:

-Moderate yardage passing plays. Carr to Johnson hook-up should be tried at points during the game, espically on 3rd down situations

-Make big defensive plays. This key has been here for a few weeks now. Sometimes we make the big play on defense, sometimes we dont. We need to become more consistent in terms of stopping them on 3rd down.

-Solid special teams. No penalites on special teams firstly, secondly, make the field goals, as Kris Brown usually does. Chad Stanely has good punts, hopefully we will see that from him this game. Plus, a few solid returns possibly from Jerome Mathis

*Fans: Continue to cheer us on hearitly! Remember- We still have a chance to finish strong, and this is a big game to start.

Go Texans!
If/when the Texans ever turn things around, you truly will be entitled/justified in telling us :

"I told you so."
Old 12-09-2005   #16
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

My hopes are that every other 2 win team wins at least one more, totaling 3, Texans lose all but the 49'ers, Come out the last game of the year with a lame duck coach but still blow away the 'niners leaving the team with a small taste of winning to carry into offseason and camp. Maybe it will reverse the current trend starting with the Browns loss of last season.
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullRed
My hopes are that every other 2 win team wins at least one more, totaling 3, Texans lose all but the 49'ers, Come out the last game of the year with a lame duck coach but still blow away the 'niners leaving the team with a small taste of winning to carry into offseason and camp. Maybe it will reverse the current trend starting with the Browns loss of last season.
With the Jets' problems on offense (OL, QB, and RB) and their tougher schedule, I predict they lose out (OAK, MIA, NE, BUF). The 49ers will likely lose out, unless the light suddenly comes on for Alex Smith (could happen). The Packers I'm not so sure about, but they have a better chance to lose out than we do, IMO. They face DET, BAL, CHI, and SEA. I'd say the last two of those are certain losses, and I think they will lose to the Lions, who actually have a decent defense this year. The Ravens are as inept on offense as anyone and their defense is not as stalwart as it has been in the past, so they could be the one game that the Packers take. The Texans, on the other hand, face the Titans, Cardinals, Jaguars, and 49ers. Only one of those could be considered a "should-be" loss, the Jags. But we always play them tough and the game is in Reliant, so you never know. The other games are completely winnable, though the cynical side of me says they will find a way to lose.

If two or more teams finish with identical records at the bottom, the tiebreaker is strength of schedule. Whoever has had the weakest schedule of the losing teams gets the first pick. The Texans have had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL so far, but we face some weaker teams coming up (still have the Jags though) to push us down. The 49ers easily have the weakest strength of schedule from the 1st pick contenders, so even if we lose to them and end up with two losses, they'd have the #1 pick. I haven't checked the Packers SOS, but the Jets have had one of the toughest this season, I believe.
Old 12-09-2005   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Texans will beat the Titans...if I remember right they won by 10 or more points here in Houston. It'll probably be the same up there.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #19
bpergrem3
Rookie

Default Strength of schedule

opponent wins

Texans - 104
SF - 105
GB - 106
Jets - 113

This is for the 16 games schedules through 12 games.
bpergrem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpergrem3
opponent wins

Texans - 104
SF - 105
GB - 106
Jets - 113

This is for the 16 games schedules through 12 games.
Thanks for the info! This topic was brought up on SR610 just a few days ago (so after the loss to BAL) and it was noted on the air that the winning percentage for SF's opponents to date was .471 and for the Texans it was .506. So it sounds like one of you is wrong. I know not who

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read