Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bush or Peterson

Bush or Peterson, who will be the better NFL player?

• Reggie Bush

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Adrian Peterson

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Never heard of Adrain Peterson, but I assume he's related to that one OU sensation. Thus, I'll assume talent runs in the family.

The better overall player or RB? Peterson gets my vote for RB but Bush has the potential to be a better overall player.

Wow, would have expected more Bush supporters since he is the best draft prospect in an eon. Does Bush's shine lose its luster with another can't miss prospect, albeit a workhorse, in the offing?

Like MorKnolle said Peterson may be a better RB, but Bush will be a better player. Peterson very well could get anywhere from 1300-1800 rushing yards consistently, but Reggie Bush might have over 2000 total yards.

tulexan said:
but Reggie Bush might have over 2000 total yards.

And this has happened in consecutive years for how many RBs or how many have done it more than once?

LDT had 2000 total yards in 02 and 03.

Edgerrin James did it in 99, 00, and 04.

Barber did it in 04.

Lewis did it in 03.

Holmes did it in 01, 02, 03.

Ricky Williams did it in 02.

Alexander, Portis, Westbrook, Martin, Bettis have reached 2000 total yards a combined 0 times.

Barry Sanders did it in 94 and 97.

Emmitt Smith did it in 92 and 95.

Michael Vick did it in 02, 04, and 05. He's a running back, right?

Bottom line: Adrian Peterson, who is more comparible to LDT, Edge, Lewis, Holmes, Williams, Alexander, Portis, and Smith than Bush, has a good chance to make 2000 total yards.

Bush, who is more comparible to Barber, Dunn, Sanders, and Westbrook, has a legitimate shot, as HE IS THE NEXT GREAT THING.

Yeah I never said 2000 rushing yards. I said 2000 total yards. Adrian Peterson is going to be a great workhorse running back like Shaun Alexander.

The figures I posted were 2000 total yards.

You think I'd credit Tiki Barber with a 2000 yard rushing season?! In Madden, perhaps.

IMO it depends on what kind of team you put them with. If you have a team that likes to do a lot with formations and matchups....you go Bush.

If you run a run it in your mouth 25-40 times a game. Peterson is your man.

Colts would take a Bush where the Steelers would take a Peterson.

You can't say who would be the better pro w/o juding what kind of situation they come into. I think you can say that for most players though.

Colts would take a Bush where the Steelers would take a Peterson.
Actually, Colts would take Peterson.

They rely on a strong ground game to establish the killer playaction pass that Manning rapes defenses with.

Was the word rape really necessary???? Anyway they would take bush b/c they ALSO rely on a rb who is very effective in the passing game. Check Edge's receptions and you'll see that's why he was drafted over RICKY.

The knock on Ricky was his tiny girly hands.

Plus, Miami/New Orleans were not offensive teams like the Colts.
Or, at the very least, had less competent QBs.

Edge would catch some screens and swings more often than others, because he plays with Peyton "Pass With The Lead At 21" Manning.

You gotta think outside the box. Don't rape your mind by confining yourself within a steel cage.

And DD had ~1750 total last year, so for a relativly small amount of POSSIBLE, never proven in the NFL production, we toss a proven NFL player when we have a BOATLOAD of issues elswhere...sounds smart to me.

edo783 said:
And DD had ~1750 total last year, so for a relativly small amount of POSSIBLE, never proven in the NFL production, we toss a proven NFL player when we have a BOATLOAD of issues elswhere...sounds smart to me.

Yep, but we have to get this once in a lifetime talent if we have the opportunity. :rolleyes:

People seem to forget that the once in a lifetime talent label usually carries a one year shelf life until the next draft.

I agree.....There is no way we can afford to pass on drafting a talent like Bush.....I know there are other areas that need to be addressed and they should be addressed as soon as we get Bush fitted for his uniform:drool:

Kaiser Toro said:
People seem to forget that the once in a lifetime talent label usually carries a one year shelf life until the next draft.

I suspect you and I and a select few others will make this statement many times before the draft. Nonetheless, there is a Jerry Jeff Walker song for what we are doing--guesses?

infantrycak said:
I suspect you and I and a select few others will make this statement many times before the draft. Nonetheless, there is a Jerry Jeff Walker song for what we are doing--guesses?

Throw a pebble into his song chest and you will find a song that fits. But to take a stab - Last night I fell in love again, There will never be another you.

As much as I am a Reggie Bush homer, I fell in love with Peterson's running ability and strength his freshman season. I dont think Reggie has anything on AP.

Kaiser Toro said:
Throw a pebble into his song chest and you will find a song that fits. But to take a stab - Last night I fell in love again, There will never be another you.

It involves waste elimination and a stiff breeze.

V Man said:
Fix the o-line this year, and chances are we could be in the Peterson running next year.

Are you saying IF we FIX the o-line this year we will STILL be high enough in the draft to pick up Peterson(Who will be the great player of all time.:cool:or a:bomb: )?? Dosen't sound like a good direction to head to me. Too many pitfalls and ifs. You have to go with the best player available now and work on the future now. These days with free agency it is hard to fix one thing and keep it that way, players need to be able to come in and adjust quickly. A good ex. would be the Patriots, who have been good for 4-5 yrs and look to be heading down due to changes. Their is no fixing the line this year and keeping it that way.

texplayer2 said:
Are you saying IF we FIX the o-line this year we will STILL be high enough in the draft to pick up Peterson(Who will be the great player of all time.:cool:or a:bomb: )?? Dosen't sound like a good direction to head to me. Too many pitfalls and ifs. You have to go with the best player available now and work on the future now. These days with free agency it is hard to fix one thing and keep it that way, players need to be able to come in and adjust quickly. A good ex. would be the Patriots, who have been good for 4-5 yrs and look to be heading down due to changes. Their is no fixing the line this year and keeping it that way.

This is an interesting view on things. From what I gather, and maybe I'm wrong, you're basically saying that we should always draft the "best player available" (which is always going to be a QB, RB, or WR) and ignore trying to fill in any other spots on the team because we shouldn't bother fixing it when it's not going to stay that way and everyone will just leave in a couple years. That sounds like a team that will have a revolving door of a couple talented people that will come in and continuously underachieve because the team as a whole is lousy, basically you become the LA Clippers of 1996-2004.

I do not know Mr. McNair, but I hope he is not a Donald Sterling. Sterling used the Clippers as nothing but a tax write off. However, Cass and Elgin Baylor could star in a Dumb and Dumber sequel.

MorKnolle said:
This is an interesting view on things. From what I gather, and maybe I'm wrong, you're basically saying that we should always draft the "best player available" (which is always going to be a QB, RB, or WR) and ignore trying to fill in any other spots on the team because we shouldn't bother fixing it when it's not going to stay that way and everyone will just leave in a couple years. That sounds like a team that will have a revolving door of a couple talented people that will come in and continuously underachieve because the team as a whole is lousy, basically you become the LA Clippers of 1996-2004.

What I am saying is how often do we expect to get a high draft choice?I hope we don't get the opportunity as often as the Clippers(who are looking better this year). With the first overall pick in any sport, you have alot of holes, you are not picking there just because the o-line isn't stellar. But a majority of teams pick Skill players at that position.(leaders) Even the Chargers who traded out of that spot a couple years ago picked a QB. You are not going to be able to fill all our needs in this draft. You need players that would give free agents a reason to come here. Not draft this year and hope we get Peterson next year. The discussion started off with Bush or Peterson and my point is Bush now if you are even thinking about Peterson next year. If we draft 1st next year it will be for a QB, because with a new coach and system the blame for such failure would fall to the QB.

infantrycak said:

I am one of those select few who is looking ahead at our future. There is always a playmaker in each draft.

YoungTexanFan said:
I am one of those select few who is looking ahead at our future. There is always a playmaker in each draft.

The problem is can WE GET them in every draft. Not at the talent level of Bush,Peterson, Lienert, and Young.

I like peterson, but the only knock on him is his up right running possition. Because of the way he runs the ball he leaves himself open to more big shots and increases the chances that he's going to get injured. Look at chris brown he has the same running style as peterson and he has had injury problems and peterson has already had some injuries in college. Im not saying he's not going to be a great back im just saying he needs to close his stance a little bit.

I'm a little worried that Oklahoma is going to destroy him. They already played him too much when he was injured this year and they will probably do the same next year. He might enter the draft like Cedric Benson, over used in college and injured in the pros.

texplayer2 said:
What I am saying is how often do we expect to get a high draft choice?I hope we don't get the opportunity as often as the Clippers(who are looking better this year). With the first overall pick in any sport, you have alot of holes, you are not picking there just because the o-line isn't stellar. But a majority of teams pick Skill players at that position.(leaders) Even the Chargers who traded out of that spot a couple years ago picked a QB. You are not going to be able to fill all our needs in this draft. You need players that would give free agents a reason to come here. Not draft this year and hope we get Peterson next year. The discussion started off with Bush or Peterson and my point is Bush now if you are even thinking about Peterson next year. If we draft 1st next year it will be for a QB, because with a new coach and system the blame for such failure would fall to the QB.

OK, I get your point better now, I was under the impression you were saying every year to draft the best playmaker available.

tulexan said:
I'm a little worried that Oklahoma is going to destroy him. They already played him too much when he was injured this year and they will probably do the same next year. He might enter the draft like Cedric Benson, over used in college and injured in the pros.
I think Bob Stoops is smarter than Mack Brown.

Hopefully.

Carr Bomb said:
I like peterson, but the only knock on him is his up right running possition. Because of the way he runs the ball he leaves himself open to more big shots and increases the chances that he's going to get injured. Look at chris brown he has the same running style as peterson and he has had injury problems and peterson has already had some injuries in college. Im not saying he's not going to be a great back im just saying he needs to close his stance a little bit.

Eric Dickerson did not seem to have a problem with his upright running style.

tulexan said:

How do you conclude Benson was injured in the NFL because of overuse in college (nevermind the basically year off he got because he hadn't been starting) instead of the 320 lb nose guard Sopoaga hitting him?

Clearly this is a TIGHT vote so if we did pass on bush this year and we were still pretty bad next year (top 5 pick bad.) I"m sure we'd be for drafting peterson if he came out which I could see him doing.

Back