Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-07-2005   #1
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover
Default Who & what the texans should draft

ok obvisiosly we are going to get a top 5 pick, lets say we hopefully get #1. now who should we get? bush or OL/DL. Bush is a great athlete no doubt about it and is faster than a speeding bullet, BUT his team has never really played an awesome dominating defense. i think the best run defense they have played was Michigan in the rose bowl, when bush ran for just 50 yards or so. last year i don't remember what he did against Oklahoma in the orange bowl, but O.U. choked in both title games because Justin vincent ran for 150 in the sugar bowl against them.Bush and Vincent don't compare. We should wait and see what he does vs. Texas. Also it would great for any RB to run behind a O-LINE like USC, plus opposing teams can't just focus on Bush there is still a heismen QB in lienart and WR jarret, smith and lendale white. the texans should trade down (so they wont have to pay the biggest contract) and get ferguson or the DE from louisville. and not get winstrom from Maimi because he has been injured and has never recovered and injuries always come back to haunt you. we will see how winstrom does against LSU D-line in the peach bowl. Since we need a safety we should try to get best in counrty (if he declares for the draft) in LaRon Landry. that guy is awesome he is definetly the hardest hitting safety out plus he doesnt miss tackles at all and doesnt get beat either. Marcus mcneill would be a great 2nd rounder and a safe pick for that round a big strong guy like a J. Ogden.

1st round(pick between 5-10 via trade) Ferguson or DE
2nd round (through from from first and extra 3rd round) Landry
2nd round Mcneill
3rd round Pope
4th round LB
5th round LB/DE
6th round your choice
7th round your choice

Now Bush "could" be great for the texans but he isnt a everydown back he is a westbrook(who didn't win a super bowl) if you look at teams that have won the super bowl they all had big strong everydown RBs none like bush. I know the Pats had Smith and Faulk but the pats had everything going for them an O-line, great OC, and great defense.

If the texans are wanting to rebuild then what do you start with the foundation or the line. cant build something with out a base.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Ok first Winston was named the best OL in the ACC and that is not because of his name. D'Brick has played inconsistently and he has been made to look bad against top competition. Ferguson has struggled keeping his weight at 295 and some insiders have suggested that he might want to think about letting his weight drop and becoming a TE. I doubt that would happen though since he should get paid big money for his pass blocking. The DE from Louiville will be a low first rounder. He is only 256 and not extremely fast. The best DE is likely the huge Ju. Pep like DE at NC state. Mario Williams is the consensus best DE right now. Landry though is a solid pick. The guy is excellent and I have not seen to many flaws in his game other than his top speed. He will likely get a run in the late first round though, but he would be a second round steal. McNeil is nowhere near like J.Ogden. McNeil is a prototype right tackle and might not crack the first round. But with Wintworth and Blaylock looking so bad in there last games he could catapult after workouts. I am not really going to list any guys because I, Morknolle, Jerek, and CADAHNIC are doing a series of offseason looks. The draft one will be later on though.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Reggie Bush with the first pick and either Marcus McNeil or Max Jean Gilles with the second.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

we must wait to see where we select & who is available, how set is our roster & who will be the GM/Coach?

for instance if ownership blows everything up & brings in a hot commodity like Pete Carroll then we're going to see Leinart or Bush, lots of movement in the roster and a more exciting, dynamic offense.

on the other hand if ownership keeps Casserly & Capers (removing Pendry & Fangio) look for a stockpiling of picks, contract re-assesments & return to a streamlined 5 year plan.

of these two options I get the feeling the second is more likely to occur, but who knows I could be wrong. but before we really get going lets see where we finish before we predict what happens
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Left Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first, and TE Leonard Pope in the second hopefully.
Old 12-07-2005   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Probably impossible, but get Lewis (TE), Greg Eslinger (C), and somebody for the defensive secondary. I would love to see a new cornerback/safety, but I'm undecided at this point. Buchanon looks horrible, but so did our entire secondary (except D-Rob). But this is shoulds, not what I think they will do, which is an entirely different story/verb.

Last edited by Texans Horror; 12-07-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Left Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first, and TE Leonard Pope in the second hopefully.
That's how I would like to see it fall out. Then probably a DE or ILB and then another O-lineman. Good 1st day IMO. If we work out another pick or two by trading back and still getting DBrick...even better. Pick up a DB and/or another O-lineman. I am assuming that Mathis is going to be the #2 WR, if not we should use the 3 or 4th 1st day pick to find one, but I think we allready have one.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2005   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Mel Kiper was just on PTI and has said that if the Texans have the number one pick they WILL take Reggie Bush and that he would solidify the offense as long as they take care of the OL. Take what you want from it, but Mel Kiper has always been a huge D'Brick to Houston guy and now has switched to Reggie Bush to Houston.
Old 12-07-2005   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think of dropping down into the teens or twenties and grabbing Bobby Carpenter or some other linebacker that has experience rushing the passer? My friends and I were talking about it, the Texans drop low, pick up this years 2nd, and next years 1st and 3rd or something, and then have 2 second round picks and 2 3rd round picks to solidify the oline. Just an idea.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Another interesting statement that Mel Kiper said was that Reggie Bush WITH Dominack Davis, Andre Johnson, and David Carr could make the Texans be a playoff team. Sounds like Mel thinks that we would keep Dominack and use Reggie all over the field like he is used at USC.
Old 12-07-2005   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Another interesting statement that Mel Kiper said was that Reggie Bush WITH Dominack Davis, Andre Johnson, and David Carr could make the Texans be a playoff team. Sounds like Mel thinks that we would keep Dominack and use Reggie all over the field like he is used at USC.
exactly Dominack Davis would be used between the tackles like USC uses LenDale White, of course this may be where Pete Carroll enters the picture as well
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Funny you say that because coming up on Sportscenter they are going to be discussing the possibility of Pete Carroll being the next coach of the Texans.
Old 12-07-2005   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Help me out here. Who is Mel Kiper? I've never heard that name before.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #14
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Help me out here. Who is Mel Kiper? I've never heard that name before.
ESPN draft guru. He'll be on a lot now through April.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
exactly Dominack Davis would be used between the tackles like USC uses LenDale White, of course this may be where Pete Carroll enters the picture as well
lendale has more speed and agility than DD
Old 12-07-2005   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover

Wow, as i read through the first part of that post, i was thinking to myself: "Pete Carroll would have to be here to try that."

then BOOM!
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know what you all are smokin but L.Pope is gonna be gone in the mid to late first round ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Reggie Bush with the first pick and either Marcus McNeil or Max Jean Gilles with the second.

For once we see things the same (There is a first time for everything)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Mel Kiper changes his draft predictions around every week, so I would take whatever he says now with a grain of salt. He hasn't proven to be overly good at predicting many of the picks the last few years and we still have a whole lot of things to happen before the draft comes, so don't think we are locked into taking Bush just because Kiper said so.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Thats true, but Chris Mortensen (who is very reliable) has also said that if the Texans have the first pick then they will select Reggie Bush.
Old 12-07-2005   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Many people are saying that right now, but three weeks ago the majority were saying it would be Vince Young if he came out. All I'm saying is we have a lot of football left to determine who will even have the #1 pick and then who the hot college prospect will be the week of the draft. Every year it changes around several times, so whether you're in the Bush camp, Vince Young camp, what have you, don't get your hopes up just because some "expert" at ESPN predicts in early December that we will draft the guy you want.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read