Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Texan's worst off-season move/blunder?
Releasing Aaron Glenn 9 6.12%
Releasing Jamie Sharper 11 7.48%
Releasing Steve Foley 0 0%
Trading 2nd & 3rd RD picks for Phillip Buchanon 55 37.41%
Trading 2nd 3rd 4th RD picks to draft Jason Babin 27th overall 27 18.37%
Using 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings 9 6.12%
Giving Marcus Coleman a contract extension 4 2.72%
Signing Morlon Greenwood to a huge contract 6 4.08%
Passing on Derrick Johnson in the draft 16 10.88%
*predicts future* not drafting Reggie Bush 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2005   #41
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
i dont understand why the last one is on there. It should be Passing on a OL for REggie Bush. If we draft Bush we have made a huge mistake bc he still cant run if the DL and blitzing LB/S can tackle him before he takes 3 steps.

I was under the impression our problem was pass-protection from the o-line.

"he still cant run if the DL and blitzing LB/S can tackle him before he takes 3 steps" when has that been a problem for us? seriously, Davis is going on 3 1000yd seasons, and hes not even that great a back.

the thing that would make us so much better with Bush, is those dumpoffs from Carr, that davis usually runs 6-7 yards with and get tackled, turn into potential 50 yard gains because Bush is such an amazing runner in open space.
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #42
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Where was DJ going to start?

wherever they wanted him to. I doubt Greenwood would start over him. Hed definitely beat out Peek or Babin if they chose to put him there.

the only guy that right now is probably better than him is Wong, and hes a long time veteran
Old 12-06-2005   #43
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
wherever they wanted him to. I doubt Greenwood would start over him. Hed definitely beat out Peek or Babin if they chose to put him there.

the only guy that right now is probably better than him is Wong, and hes a long time veteran
Thank you for confirming what I thought you would say. Unfortunately, we will not be agreeing on what went down, but I think we can agree that we will both be cheering on DJ's career and the Texans moving forward.
Old 12-06-2005   #44
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Thank you for confirming what I thought you would say. Unfortunately, we will not be agreeing on what went down, but I think we can agree that we will both be cheering on DJ's career and the Texans moving forward.

yeah, and i wouldve had no problem with the TJ pick if Gary walker had pulled a boselli on us or something, but he didnt.

everyone says this year how we shouldnt draft bush and should go for a need, but just last year we passed many needs and drafted a guy to be a backup with our 1st rd pick.

Bush is a need IMO, we NEED him in the backfield, we NEED him lined up in the slot, we NEED him touching the ball.
Old 12-06-2005   #45
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
I too was on the Derrick Johnson bandwagon last year and have to think he would have started ahead of Babin, especially after those first couple games when Babin was benched for Orr, and he could have moved to ILB when Wong went down, and hopefully we wouldn't have bothered with Greenwood if we had gotten DJ (I don't remember if we signed Greenwood before or after the draft).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #46
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Why was there not a VOTE FOR ALL???? I mean you could go down the list of how each was and has adversley effected our team in a negative way.

BUC and BABY are linked though b/c of the amount of players we gave up for them. BABY more than BUC b/c Baby was such a project to convert and we assumed BUC would resume his old form. All that said they were both horrible.
Old 12-06-2005   #47
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Boselli and Carr could be nominees as well.
SHHHHHHHHHHH...don't say the B word!!!!
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2005   #48
outofhnd
All Pro

Where is the Draft Bennie Joppru with our second round pick in 03 selectio I think that was the worst move ever because that is something our offense has never recovered from. We have shuffles TE now for the past 2 years trying to fill the spot he was supposed to play.
Old 12-07-2005   #49
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as the draft picks on that list, the draft is a gamble, there is rarely if ever a sure pick in the draft. As far as Babin goes he had a solid rookie season and struggled early this season with the shoulder injury, which the coaches allowed him to play with. As far as Greenwood goes, as of right now he has 90 tackles, 2 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries, so after 12 games this season, Greenwood has more tackles than every Texan defensive player had all of last season except for Jamie Sharper. By the way, Sharper had 137 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery last season, so Greenwood has almost matched Sharper's performance from last season in 4 less games. And as far as DJ goes he has 73 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 fumble recovery this season. Sharper has all of 37 tackles and 0 sacks this season in 8 games and Seattle has him listed as 3rd team ROLB right now and yes I know he is injured. I am in no way defending our front office or our coaches, what I am saying is we cannot blame this season for any one move mad or any one move that was not made. If we had drafted DJ, kept Glenn and Sharper, not traded up for Babin, whatever the case may be, more than likely we would still be at 1-11 right now.
Old 12-07-2005   #50
outofhnd
All Pro

ok then if its strictly personnel moves... Signing Victor Riley to play LT
Old 12-07-2005   #51
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Au contraire! Drafting Reggie Bush would be the worst move they could make by far. They already have Dom Davis and they have so many other needs. They'd better try to parlay their pick into a bunch of selections or they will be in the cellar for years. Plus, Reggie Bush is no sure thing. Remember Lawrence Phillips, Curtis Enis, Kianna Carter and Archie Griffin? No college RB is a sure thing in the pros -- especially with a bad offensive line. Just look at the crop of rookie RBs that were taken with first-round picks this year. Most are either under-performing or hurt.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #52
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Where as I agree with you and think we have more needs to address other than getting Bush, with what he has done in his college career, is he too good to pass up?
Two words: Archie Griffin.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #53
TheBeastIsBest
waterboy

Do the Texans have all of their draft picks for this year or were some of them traded away last year?
TheBeastIsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #54
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

the texans have 8 picks this year.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #55
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bush Bowl - Jan. 1st - TEXANS VS. 49ERS

Too bad we have so many choices! The fact they we do should implicate Casserly.

Anyway, gotta go with the PBUC trade. It is going to be hard to recover from this horrible year without a couple key pics. How are we supposed to gain ground on other teams?

:brickwall
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #56
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally agree with that. This team just didn't do much last year. There weren't TONS of big-name FAs out there last summer, but it didn't seem to stop the cap-strapped COLTS from signing another major defensive player. And thinking about so many other teams who made moves, while the Texans just waved buh-bye to legit starters, I sure as heck hope that all this 2006 cap room won by those moves will be worth it.

I said it then and I'll say it now. If Morlon Greenback is your big-name FA acquisition, you have a LOT of 'splaining to do.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
yeah, and i wouldve had no problem with the TJ pick if Gary walker had pulled a boselli on us or something, but he didnt.

everyone says this year how we shouldnt draft bush and should go for a need, but just last year we passed many needs and drafted a guy to be a backup with our 1st rd pick.

Bush is a need IMO, we NEED him in the backfield, we NEED him lined up in the slot, we NEED him touching the ball.

well either way. Our DL is long in the tooth.. Payne and Walker are nearing the end of the career.. jury is out on TJ because if the veterans groom him right and next season or season after that Payne and Walker are gone.. If groomed he should be ready to be a monster. If he isn't in 2 years, I say that it was a bad pick
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005   #58
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW I know this is a little off of the subject.. but how would you compare the LT's of last year's draft (who are playing RT now) to the LTs being hyped this year?
I am just saying maybe the staff felt this year was a better year for LT.. I have no idea and just saying
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #59
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i would like to add one. replacing jeff posey for charlie clemons
Old 12-10-2005   #60
phan1
All Pro

My Gawd. thanks for reminding me how bad Casserly has F'd up this entire franchise...
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read