Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Texan's worst off-season move/blunder?
Releasing Aaron Glenn 9 6.12%
Releasing Jamie Sharper 11 7.48%
Releasing Steve Foley 0 0%
Trading 2nd & 3rd RD picks for Phillip Buchanon 55 37.41%
Trading 2nd 3rd 4th RD picks to draft Jason Babin 27th overall 27 18.37%
Using 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings 9 6.12%
Giving Marcus Coleman a contract extension 4 2.72%
Signing Morlon Greenwood to a huge contract 6 4.08%
Passing on Derrick Johnson in the draft 16 10.88%
*predicts future* not drafting Reggie Bush 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Boselli and Carr could be nominees as well.
Oh look an I hate Carr comment - Hey is that you in the picture? A Texas fan? No wonder you sound upset. I am an Aggie fan, I'm used to losing.

This one was hard, between not taking DJ so we could take a bench warmer in TJ or giving our division rival and former heartache a boat load of picks to help in there rebuild process, I must admit I am perplexed.

My vote would still have to go to the TJ pick. A non starting undersized DT who makes more money than what a back up should make. If we needed depth we should have kept Deloch or Martin. Would have been cheaper.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Babin move was pretty bad. 3 players for an underacheiving guy? Its close.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #23
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Oh look an I hate Carr comment - Hey is that you in the picture? A Texas fan? No wonder you sound upset. I am an Aggie fan, I'm used to losing.

This one was hard, between not taking DJ so we could take a bench warmer in TJ or giving our division rival and former heartache a boat load of picks to help in there rebuild process, I must admit I am perplexed.

My vote would still have to go to the TJ pick. A non starting undersized DT who makes more money than what a back up should make. If we needed depth we should have kept Deloch or Martin. Would have been cheaper.
We did keep DeLoach but he hasn't been active for most games. I will agree that passing on DJ was bad, but in this poll I still have to take Babin. Drafting him with our original second rounder would have still put him on this poll, but giving away three picks that we didn't even need to give up to get him just adds to it.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #24
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The Babin pick put us in a bad situation. I mean even if someone does take him it was a deep draft as far as LB and other posisitons. Damn shame we reached so high in the draft, but maybe we thought tennessee or NE would take him.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #25
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
The Babin move was pretty bad. 3 players for an underacheiving guy? Its close.
Yep, that's exactly what I was about to say. I don't like to think of "what could have beens" but.....well, never mind:brickwall
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #26
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Funny how you give Carr a pass on four years, but not TJ after 3/4 of a season. The front of the jersey says Texans, not the Carrs. I was patient for three years with Carr. I would hope that Texan's fans would be as patient with others, especially those that will stand up for Carr no matter what.
Old 12-05-2005   #27
johnboy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato
Yep, that's exactly what I was about to say. I don't like to think of "what could have beens" but.....well, never mind:brickwall

The Titans didn't win last year they only have 3 wins this year with all of the great draft picks we gave them for Babin."what could have beens" is not any better than what did happen.
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2005   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
wow, I look at all these moves listed and can't fathom Casserly being back here next year with so many bad picks on his watch.
Well, regardless of the obvious fact that these are final decisions made by the GM, you still need to take into account how much influence the coaches themselves had in these decisions. A GM has to listen to the coaches that he hires.

If you don't, I'm willing to bet McNair will.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #29
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

worse than that is releasing Aaron Glenn.
Old 12-05-2005   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard for me to see passing on DJ as a bigger screw up than trading for Buchanon. Odell Thurman and Lofa Tatupu are both playing as well or better than DJ and could have been had in the 2nd round.
Old 12-05-2005   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

releasing of AG and JS ... well they were making big bucks and from what I hear didn't want to renegiate the contract.

Steve foley?? please.. he wouldn't make the plays here like he does there

Buchanon? yeah we wasted a 2nd on him .. if a coach could get him to play we would be set (his talent wise).

Babin? ..I think wrong time wrong place.. we needed depth so I would have liked those picks and jury is still out on Babin..

Hollings was a boom or bust pick who would have know the Raiders to go from super bowl to bust on that.

As far as trashing the Defensive players we have.. I want to see a coach in here to utilize them.. I, along with all of you have waiting 4 years to see a real "Dom Capers" defensive swarming unit and we have nothing but a passive conservative unit... I think there is talent on the club but not talent on the sidelines .. I think Dom is a heck of a DC but not HC.

At this moment.. I'd say the Babin one is riskiest one. we gave up a lot at the start, yet I want to see what we can do with a DC in here.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

main difference in our team this year compared to seasons fast.. seems we are whipped before we start.. we have lost confidence in our coaching staff and it shows on the field ..They might not say it, but we all can see it.

IF we had 1/2 of the fire of the first game we played..I think we'd have about 6 wins .
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #33
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I couldn't decide as to which was worst. I'll say it was getting rid of Glenn, who is looking good with Parcells, and inserting the Matador into our secondary. This was supposed to be an upgrade to our defense, but it completely backfired. We definitely took two steps back on defense this year, and I have a feeling that we would have done much better had our defensive unit not been "improved" with new blood.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #34
TexHorns
Veteran

I say P-Buch because with no Arron Glenn and such little depth that was a huge gamble. The reason for getting rid of Glenn was to get younger which is semi-understandable but replacing him with junk is not. As for Babin yes we mayhave given up too much for him but at least he can fill the spot without being a total flake and doesnt let people walk into the endzone.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #35
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i dont understand why the last one is on there. It should be Passing on a OL for REggie Bush. If we draft Bush we have made a huge mistake bc he still cant run if the DL and blitzing LB/S can tackle him before he takes 3 steps.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #36
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with pbuc but an "all of the above" choice would be better.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #37
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Funny how you give Carr a pass on four years, but not TJ after 3/4 of a season. The front of the jersey says Texans, not the Carrs. I was patient for three years with Carr. I would hope that Texan's fans would be as patient with others, especially those that will stand up for Carr no matter what.
No you missunderstand. I am not saying to can TJ. My point was if you needed to add depth and youth to the line but you wanted to sit the guy to learn the system, thats fine. But why would you spend a first round pick on a DT. He's no Sapp. DT are easily found in the second day.

what we needed was a good tackling, covering, sacking linebacker. You know, DJ.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #38
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No you missunderstand. I am not saying to can TJ. My point was if you needed to add depth and youth to the line but you wanted to sit the guy to learn the system, thats fine. But why would you spend a first round pick on a DT. He's no Sapp. DT are easily found in the second day.

what we needed was a good tackling, covering, sacking linebacker. You know, DJ.
I do not think you are saying to can TJ, but I do not understand how you can say DJ would have made us better out of the box as he would have learned much like TJ to play essentially a new role in our defensive scheme.

I loved DJ in college and believe he will have a very good career. I also happen to believe TJ will have a very good career as well.

To me this is neutral pick that has come no where near playing itself out on who is the winner or loser. I myself fault Cass less on the TJ pick as the season progresses.
Old 12-06-2005   #39
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
I do not think you are saying to can TJ, but I do not understand how you can say DJ would have made us better out of the box as he would have learned much like TJ to play essentially a new role in our defensive scheme.

I loved DJ in college and believe he will have a very good career. I also happen to believe TJ will have a very good career as well.

To me this is neutral pick that has come no where near playing itself out on who is the winner or loser. I myself fault Cass less on the TJ pick as the season progresses.
first off, we'd be better right away because DJ would be starting, opposed to TJ, who is a very expensive bench warmer.

it was such a stupid move, we arent a good enough team to be drafting backups in the first round.

then it comes to quality of player, a 2 time all-american and bednarik award winner vs. Travis Johnson, with 30 tackles and 3 sacks his senior year (who expects GREATER production from a DT in the NFL than he came close to producing in college?)
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #40
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
first off, we'd be better right away because DJ would be starting, opposed to TJ, who is a very expensive bench warmer.

it was such a stupid move, we arent a good enough team to be drafting backups in the first round.

then it comes to quality of player, a 2 time all-american and bednarik award winner vs. Travis Johnson, with 30 tackles and 3 sacks his senior year (who expects GREATER production from a DT in the NFL than he came close to producing in college?)
Where was DJ going to start?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read