Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Texan's worst off-season move/blunder?
Releasing Aaron Glenn 9 6.12%
Releasing Jamie Sharper 11 7.48%
Releasing Steve Foley 0 0%
Trading 2nd & 3rd RD picks for Phillip Buchanon 55 37.41%
Trading 2nd 3rd 4th RD picks to draft Jason Babin 27th overall 27 18.37%
Using 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings 9 6.12%
Giving Marcus Coleman a contract extension 4 2.72%
Signing Morlon Greenwood to a huge contract 6 4.08%
Passing on Derrick Johnson in the draft 16 10.88%
*predicts future* not drafting Reggie Bush 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005   #1
stevo3883
All Pro

Question Worst off-season move so far?

I'm leaning towards the Buchanon trade. terrible, just terrible. it makes no sense. The worst defense in the league, trying desperatly to get rid of this guy... doesnt that give you some clues on his play?

maybe this off-season, we should pick up ahmad carroll, I hear he has major upside! we can cut d-rob as he is too old and his contract isnt cap friendly (we need a nice big 10+million cap buffer zone, incase we want to release AJ to make room for Bradford's new 7 yr $55million contract thats in the works)

Pbuc on 1 guy, Carroll on the other. 2 shut down corners... I would be in heaven
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

In attempt to turn this back into a more serious thread, I'd rate the Babin move as the worst. I can't say for sure yet that drafting Babin at all was a mistake, but trading off 3 (or 4?) picks to get him when he almost for sure would have been there for our next pick was horrible. We essentially gave the Titans four picks for us to gain nothing, and we had to pay Babin a little more as a first round pick than we would have after taking him in the second round.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I'd say releasing Glenn was the worst, we can all see that he was the leader in the secondary. And now we know that P-Buc doesn't have his head in the game.
Old 12-05-2005   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

All of these deals have been pretty rotten, and I was really hoping for DJ last year. Greenwood did get a very small signing bonus ($800k I think) though so we could cut him with little or no adverse effect ($600k cap hit next year) if we decided to do so.
Old 12-05-2005   #5
Bullfan
Rookie

How about declaring Wand unathletic and signing Victor Riley to replace him?

The O-line has been playing s-o-o much better this season with out Wand:sarcasm
Bullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #6
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for the Babin pick. Giving up that many picks in such a deep class didn't seem like a good idea, even in the moments immidiately after it happened. I felt at the time we could have gotten a TE and an OLB capable of starting - or at least producing and contributing. It's an even worse move now since Babin hasn't done squat and Joppru's career as a football player isn't looking too bright.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Boselli and Carr could be nominees as well.
Old 12-05-2005   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
All of these deals have been pretty rotten, and I was really hoping for DJ last year. Greenwood did get a very small signing bonus ($800k I think) though so we could cut him with little or no adverse effect ($600k cap hit next year) if we decided to do so.
Greenwood got a $7 mil signing bonus. He isn't going anywhere for a couple more years at least.
Old 12-05-2005   #9
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Gotta go with Babin with Buchanan a close 2nd. Babin was supposed to be the solution to our inept pass rush but to give up 3 picks to get him, he needs to put up big numbers and plays to justify it.
Honch Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Greenwood got a $7 mil signing bonus. He isn't going anywhere for a couple more years at least.
I must have been misinformed then. I was surprised that a $22 million salary would only have a $800k signing bonus.
Old 12-05-2005   #11
SESupergenius

wow, I look at all these moves listed and can't fathom Casserly being back here next year with so many bad picks on his watch.
Old 12-05-2005   #12
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with the Buchanon move. He was a known problem that hadn't lived up to his talent. We give up 2 first day picks...brilliant. That said, I'd bet that Hoke had more than a little influence on that decision.

A minor correction: We didn't release Foley. He was a FA that decided to move on like Posey. Still sucks that our staff couldn't see what he could do when not in a Fangio D.
Old 12-05-2005   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
In attempt to turn this back into a more serious thread, I'd rate the Babin move as the worst. I can't say for sure yet that drafting Babin at all was a mistake, but trading off 3 (or 4?) picks to get him when he almost for sure would have been there for our next pick was horrible. We essentially gave the Titans four picks for us to gain nothing, and we had to pay Babin a little more as a first round pick than we would have after taking him in the second round.
We could have gotten 3 solid players (possibly 2 starters TE and O-line with smart picks), but we got a project player who doesn't even start.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
We could have gotten 3 solid players (possibly 2 starters TE and O-line with smart picks), but we got a project player who doesn't even start.
And the worst part is we could have gotten that project player with our second round pick anyways without having to trade anything off.
Old 12-05-2005   #15
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
And the worst part is we could have gotten that project player with our second round pick anyways without having to trade anything off.
Don't think I would've taken him there either. Would rather have had Ben Troupe there.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Boselli and Carr could be nominees as well.

only room for 10 options. I could go all day with things that didnt pan out.

taking Gaffney 33rd overall
signing Todd Wade big contract
Drafting Carr is iffy... it was either him or harrington
taking bennie joppru over jason witten
signing riley
keeping bradford with guys like burress & muhammed out there

the bad moves easily outweight the good ones
stevo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

PBuc because he really can't play and Babin can play, just doesn't seem to be worth the number of picks.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #18
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I voted for the Sharper release as the biggest screwup due to the lack of leadership now on the squad. But, all the options here qualify as bonehead moves, you can pretty much take you pick.

Nice list of screwups by the front office. Given this list, JJ may be right, in the fact that Charlie is more to blame the Capers. But, personally I would like to see both men go.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping that a new coaching staff will cause some of these people to play better, but I still wish Casserly would take a hike. I voted for the Buchannon deal because he's SUCH A SERIOUS BUST, but those deals are all terrible.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #20
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

I went with the DJ pass, since that would have in whole or in part mitigated two of your other blunders - releasing Sharper and signing Greenwood. In fact, at the time, I took the Sharper move as a telegraph from Cass that DJ or Thomas Davis were locks as our draft choice.

I did consider the Glenn pretty seriously, because that was a double screw up as well. However, our front 7 were already kind of a joke before the offseason.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read