Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-05-2005   #1
orions_texans
Rookie

Default IMO first two draft picks

first of course would be Reggie Bush even if we don't need him we can alway do a major trade with him also i think he cold be used as a wide out Second i would choose Dwayn Slay this guy is awesome imo he is a lot better tackler then Roy Williams this guy don't need to grab a jersey from behind he's a straight up hitter and the Marcus Coleman is playing i think we need a hard hitting strong safty... what do u guys think
orions_texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think you are really reaching with Dwayne Slay with your second pick
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I gotta believe he just means take Slay in the draft at some point. There is no way he wants slay as a second round pick unless he runs low 4.3s
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #4
orions_texans
Rookie

why not pick up dwayn slay in the 2nd round... name any safty better then him cause i really want to know... the Tech and OU game Slay was the only guy who could tackle A.P without any help and way our secondary plays i don't think we have a choice...
Old 12-05-2005   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the issue is that there is a better safety or not, but rather that he doesn't grade out to a 2nd.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #6
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I dont think it's a good second pick because with 2 3rd rounders if we really want to pick him up the 3rd round would be the place.. simply because not many people pay attention to Texas Tech so he doesnt get nearly as much exposure as he should...

in the second I could see.. Greag Blue from UGA or Darnell Bing from USC but now Saly too much of a reach.
Old 12-05-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by orions_texans
why not pick up dwayn slay in the 2nd round... name any safty better then him cause i really want to know... the Tech and OU game Slay was the only guy who could tackle A.P without any help and way our secondary plays i don't think we have a choice...

1. Darnell Bing
2. Laron Landry
3. Greg Threat
4. Pollard
5. Blue
6. Harper

these are just a couple of safties that can do more than just lay the wood. Look a big hitter is great, and the guy has talent kinda like a poor mans Roy Williams. If he comes in as fast and as strong then maybe he will grade out higher. He is a hitting highlight and likely a low third to fifth rounder. You never know. I think we should draft him, but not waste a second pick on him. Aren't you tired of us reaching on players because they fall in love with his highlight film.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2005   #8
orions_texans
Rookie

well i would love to see Slay in the backfield for the texans...i'd also love to see a roy williams type of player on our team but then again this is just my opinion
Old 12-05-2005   #9
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I haven't seen Slay play much but in my limited exposure to him I would not say he's a better tackler than Roy Williams, but I could be wrong on that. Either way I don't think you should pick him in the top two rounds, maybe with one of our thirds. We do need to improve our safety positions, hopefully they'll leave Coleman out the rest of the year so we can see how Earl and Brown do together to know if we really need to pick another one up. I've also been relatively impressed with Huff of UT, he has the speed of a corner and could be an interesting tweener if we picked him up in the late second (if we traded up with our thirds) or in the third round as he could play either CB or FS.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Slay is a drive through hitter it is probably more of a sure tackler than Roy Williams.
Old 12-05-2005   #11
orions_texans
Rookie

Slay holds the big 12 record for most caused fumbles and i have to agree with the prev post yes he a lot better tackler then Roy Williams.. i've seen Roy and the guy really dosen't tackle he just grabs the collar and but his weight down... the times i've seen Slay even against UT he has never let one slip bye
Old 12-05-2005   #12
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd have to say if we go Bush in the first round we will be obligated to go to the offensive line in the second round. We simply need to spend a top calibiber pick on this pitiful offensive line. You can see glimpses of what the offense can do the few series we get protection.

man
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'd have to say if we go Bush in the first round we will be obligated to go to the offensive line in the second round. We simply need to spend a top calibiber pick on this pitiful offensive line. You can see glimpses of what the offense can do the few series we get protection.

man
I agree. If this franchise cant pass on Reggie, then they must grab an offensive lineman with the 2nd.

IMO, if we do ahve number 1, drop down to #3 and take D'Brick. Then take a guard in the 2nd.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #14
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen all the tech games this season and listened on the radio to non-televised games, I even when to some practices and the red vs black scrimmage. Dwayne slay is a tackling machine and I think a harder hitter than Roy williams. However I dont think he is the same level talent as Roy. Our secondary played very well this year with 3 seniors and a junior and I think that allowed Slay to play in the box alot while vincent meeks held down most of the coverage assignments. I dont know if that would work for the texans at this point. But at 6'3 225 and Im guessing about a 4.5 40 hes about the perfect size to play safety in this league. Do you think maybe he could bulk up a little more and possibly play linebacker?
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I doubt they would, generally they don't move people from safety to linebacker and if he's as good a good safety as people are saying on here then there's no reason to change him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Dwayne Slay is only 215 so he is not big enough to move to LB
Old 12-05-2005   #17
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be mad if we took reggie bush with the first pick. The kid is amazing and could be the type of guy you look back in five years and wonder how you passed on him. However, If we trade down I think we could fill a lot of holes. It seems to me everybody who wants to trade down wants to drop a couple of spots for d'brick, which is a perfectly sound move. But I would not be too dissapointed if we dropped even further to say mid first round and take the best tackle available(scott or winston) By the value chart we could probably pick up a 1st 2nd & 4th plus a 1st or 2nd next year. Maybe someone will like him as much as ditka liked ricky williams. The redskins ended up getting Champ bailey Jon Jansen Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels through wheeling and dealing those picks. Plus they only dropped from 5 to 12. I know that was the worst move in the history of the NFL but we could definately get a good amount of picks.
Old 12-05-2005   #18
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Dwayne Slay is only 215 so he is not big enough to move to LB
your right my fault,
Old 12-05-2005   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

no problem man, I like the fact that you want to trade down maybe twice and take Winston. That would be freakin sweet. Winston gives us alot of options for the rest of the draft. We can wait till the third round to get a G/C prospect, but I doubt anyone is foolish enough to give up that many picks for just Bush or Leinhart
Old 12-05-2005   #20
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Yeah I did project a good amount of picks but according to the NFL draft value chart I dont think it is too far off from what we might get. If we take a tackle in the first and wait til the third to get a C/G what would you do with the second?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read