Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-05-2005   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive scheme against Lefty QB

I readily admit I did not play organized football so I do like to defer to people's takes when it comes to technique and scheme. I do not recall UT playing against a lefty QB, definetly not the caliber of Leinart, in a couple of years. What type of adjustments need to be made on the defensive side of the ball, if any?

Moreover, in just taking a quick look at USC's schedule I have not seen them have to face a QB like VY this year and I only see Bryan Randall of VA Tech on last year's schedule that even comes close.

Love to hear your takes how styles of the QB will change the game plan for each respective D.
Old 12-05-2005   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The only change in playing a QB with a left hand delivery is how the ball spins. The ball has a different spin as it comes off the hand. It really does not affect how you play though. He still has to pass to the players running the routes. You also understand that when he rolls out left it will be a much more accurate pass then when he rolls out right due to him having to throw accross his body. It is much more difficult to gameplan for a mobile QB though. but with so much time Pete Carrol will have them ready.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I believe Dennis Dixon on Oregon is a big scambler like Vince Young
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #4
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Personally from experience playing defense in High School and College.. I think that you switch up your defense ends.. you put your best pass rushing in his face (in Leinart's Case, you put your best rusher at Right End) when that DE get pressure on the QB that puts him at in un easy state either rushing his throw or scrambling around in the pocket and give a another D-Lineman a relatively easier sack with a scramblin Leinart in the pocket..

It works well trust me..
Old 12-05-2005   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Personally from experience playing defense in High School and College.. I think that you switch up your defense ends.. you put your best pass rushing in his face (in Leinart's Case, you put your best rusher at Right End) when that DE get pressure on the QB that puts him at in un easy state either rushing his throw or scrambling around in the pocket and give a another D-Lineman a relatively easier sack with a scramblin Leinart in the pocket..

It works well trust me..
True, that could be a good adjustment. You generally want your better pass rusher on the QB's blind side, but at the same time they will likely have their best OT there to block them and if you can get a good pass rush going letting the QB constantly see people rushing into his face could make him jittery. The only other difference would may be that a team would tend to run more plays to a different side i.e. to the QBs stronger throwing side. A lefty QB would have an easier time throwing and scrambling to his left wheras a right-handed QB would generally prefer to go to his right, but that's not much of an adjustment for the defense as they just go out any play and try to pressure him either way about it.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read