Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2005   #21
The Preacher
Veteran

If he stays I just hope the Babin call was Capers begging CC for the next Kevin Greene. Same with the PB disaster if you scratch those off CC's record you can argue he's done a pretty good job. Of course those are two big ifs the answers of which we'll probably never know.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #22
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

I disagree completely. At 1-11, the team's coaching staff and front office need a total revamp.

When I look at the team's drafting, trading and free agent signings, I can't conclude Casserly has done a good job. Quite the opposite, actually. I also think he's overrated for what he did in Washington, basically taking over after Bobby Beathard had already built the team. Who were some of Casserly's #1 picks in Washington? Let's see: Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook and Desmond Howard, among others.

I don't want Casserly anywhere near our draft room in 2006. If he is retained, I will give serious thought to selling my PSL's for whatever I can get for them. No sense throwing good money after bad, and the emotional cost has been high.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd almost bet that Casserly could get the Giants #1 pick for Kris Brown if free agency was still active
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
If he is retained, I will give serious thought to selling my PSL's for whatever I can get for them. No sense throwing good money after bad, and the emotional cost has been high.
Keep me in mind. I might just be able to take them off your hands
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #25
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 12-05-2005   #26
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't stomach Casserly staying. Even Bud Adams was smart enough to fire morons in his front office. Casserly is more responsible for this mess than Capers. I also don't care who's idea was who's when it came to drafting or signing certain players. Casserly had the final say in all decisions. If Capers wanted someone that didn't make sense then Casserly should have stepped in and prevented it.

Houston fans have suffered enough, from the Oilers leaving to now this mess. I sure hope this report is unfounded. This team is more than likely going to have the first pick or at least top 3 pick. Now is the time to start over again and starting over again with the same person in charge makes no sense. I will cringe if Asserly is the guy in charge making those draft decisions and HC decision. This guy has done NOTHING to prove he is a worthy NFL level GM. His track record in Washington was atrocious.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #27
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
If he stays I just hope the Babin call was Capers begging CC for the next Kevin Greene.
I don't have a link, but have heard that Fangio has admitted that Babin wouldn't be here if not for him - paisans stick together, right. And of course
Fangio is Capers alter ego. But the Hollings pick - the worst of all and don't
know how Casserly could wiggle out of taking the balme for that gem of an
idea.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2005   #28
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Great post, Hookem Horns. I agree with you completely and feel the same way.
Old 12-05-2005   #29
ATX_Texan
Veteran

It looks like Casserly still has some of the press in his corner. Here is Richard Justice's take from the Chron:

Link

Quote:
BALTIMORE — Dom Capers should do something bold this morning. Like fire Vic Fangio.

Maybe it's too late for Capers to save his own job. Maybe the Texans are too far gone.

Bob McNair may already have decided to fire them all. That means you, too, Charley Casserly.

We interrupt for an unpopular opinion.

Casserly should not be fired.

Got that?
I don't understand how Casserly retains his title as a so-called draft expert. His best work was over a decade ago with the Skins. Yet, so many in the media still think he is one of the top GMs around regardless of his actual results in recent years.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #30
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Who cares what Justice thinks? He apparently has a good relationship with Casserly from their days in Washington, D.C. together, and that's fine, but I'm less than impressed with Justice's acumen and judgment.

Just refer to some of the dumb articles Justice wrote about the Astros early in the last baseball season.
Old 12-05-2005   #31
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Who cares what Justice thinks? He apparently has a good relationship with Casserly from their days in Washington, D.C. together, and that's fine, but I'm less than impressed with Justice's acumen and judgment.

Just refer to some of the dumb articles Justice wrote about the Astros early in the last baseball season.
I generally share your opinion on this topic, I have yet to see much of a legit news quip out of him.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #32
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_Texan
His best work was over a decade ago with the Skins. Yet, so many in the media still think he is one of the top GMs around regardless of his actual results in recent years.
What did he do in Washington? Someone please tell me. We already went through all of his drafts and they were worse than what he had done here. If I will say anything positive about Casserly it is that he has improved slightly in drafting since he has been here. While Carr hasn't been real good, he is a lot better than Heath Schuler. I think it is also safe to say Andre Johnson is better than Desmond Howard. HOWEVER, his personel decisions are still BAD. This team is 1-11 and that is the bottom line.

BTW ATX, your avatar rules!
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #33
phan1
All Pro

Dude that sucks. I'd much prefer (and actually want) the opposite. Casserly goes, Capers gets 1 more year to prove himself. Casserly is definitely more responsible for Capers. JUST LOOK AT OUR DEFENSE NOW! Some "revamped" defense this year eh? Our defense is at least 2 years from back to being mediocre, when our defense was pretty decent. Casserly's decision making has royally screwed us over. HE NEEDS TO GO! Babin? Buchanon? I know you get busts, but for what we had to do to get these guys, it's just ridiculous.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #34
Shamrock
Rookie

Casserly needs to get fired. Not fixing the OL in four years is a crime.

Fire him and Capers. Hire Pat Kirwin to be GM and Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron as head coach.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #35
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
What did he do in Washington? Someone please tell me. We already went through all of his drafts and they were worse than what he had done here.
Like I said before, I cannot understand the whole "Casserley is a great GM" tag the media and some fans have bestowed upon him. For what I can gather, there are certain people who really believe that he is responsible for the great Skins teams that Gibbs won all those Super Bowls with. They seem to forget that these teams were mainly built by Bobby Bethred (sorry about the spelling) in the pre-salary cap era. It is all ancient history with the last Skins Super Bowl checking in way back in 1991, 15 years ago.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329182 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Morlon Greenwood (for a good 7 mil more than any other team was offering him. Why were we the only ones to see the light?).
Where did you get this salary information? Odd other teams were making offers before he even visited him--he came here first.
Old 12-06-2005   #37
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Charlie Casserly in most GM and professional circles has gone from the riverboat draft gambler to the guy that you may be able to swindle. As JJ said it you just have to convince him it "is a fair deal to both teams". That usually means one team got the better of it. Casserly is also seen as one of the great GM minds. The fact is the guy does not football, yeah he overspends, but he is from Washington he doesnt know any better. Casserly is also well respected as a man, it is just people have now come to understand that their are certain GMs and owners that can be swindled out of things and he happens to fall into the category.

I know you are going to want to know my sources. I have them wont tell you, and you can ignore it if you please to.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #38
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_Texan
Like I said before, I cannot understand the whole "Casserley is a great GM" tag the media and some fans have bestowed upon him. For what I can gather, there are certain people who really believe that he is responsible for the great Skins teams that Gibbs won all those Super Bowls with. They seem to forget that these teams were mainly built by Bobby Bethred (sorry about the spelling) in the pre-salary cap era. It is all ancient history with the last Skins Super Bowl checking in way back in 1991, 15 years ago.
Two things - First, I think most people that are not of the "Fire Casserly" club are not labeling him a great GM. Personally, I am of the opinion that he gets another year or two, but that doesn't mean I think he's great. It means I think the coaching staff has screwed up using the talent he's drafted and that's skewed the data. Second, Casserly was assistant GM for the Skins during Beathard's run and Casserly was credited with drafting several of the key contributors to the Super Bowl teams - off the top of my head, Brian Mitchell, Keith Bostic, and Joe Jacoby. He also drafted Mark Schlereth, but I cannot remember if he was around for the '91 Super Bowl. He is also credited with drafting 8 of the defensive starters for that '91 Super Bowl team. So while he hasn't done much of note here in Houston, he does have some laurels on which to hang his hat.

If our coaching staff was using the talent they've been given appropriately, we'd have a much better idea of what Casserly has actually done here. This team is far better, talent-wise, than 1-11 and Casserly is the one acquiring the talent.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #39
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Two things - First, I think most people that are not of the "Fire Casserly" club are not labeling him a great GM. Personally, I am of the opinion that he gets another year or two, but that doesn't mean I think he's great. It means I think the coaching staff has screwed up using the talent he's drafted and that's skewed the data.

Well said. I fall into this group.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

You can be a good GM and not be good at making trades but you better know your limitations . I think if you have solid drafts and use free agency wisely ... you don't really have to trade much .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read