Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2005   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Casserly to Stay?

A terrifying report from the rumor mongering ProFootballTalk--

CASSERLY WILL STAY

Although plenty of league insiders believe that Texans G.M. Charley Casserly should join coach Dom Capers in the ranks of the soon-to-be-unemployed, word is that owner Bob McNair will keep the guy who hired the coach who hasn't done jack in four years on the job.

Capers, however, is definitely gone, meaning that Casserly will get another chance to hire the right guy to lead the team.

Of course, the new coach won't be in a position to give any input as to whether the team should keep quarterback David Carr for 2006, since an $8 million option bonus is due to the No. 1 pick from the 2002 draft at the end of the regular season. We think that the team should choose not to pay Carr the money, allow him to become a free agent, and then if the new coach decides that Carr is the best fit for the new coach's offensive strategy, Carr should be re-signed.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Never been to that website before and now that I have seen it I'm ok with that. One of the first things I could read was "ATTENTION! WANT TO PLACE AN AD ON PFTALK?"

From the look of things I'm surprised they have room for more!

I'm also ok with Casserly staying another year. I thought it was probably inevitable anyway so it doesn't come as a shock if that rumor is in fact true.
Old 12-05-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it was probably inevitable, but I still don't have to like it. Casserly gets one more chance to find the right HC.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Yeah, it was probably inevitable, but I still don't have to like it. Casserly gets one more chance to find the right HC.

Me either. My gut tells me that having Casserly here is going to limit the choices in the HC hunt. I don't really believe that Casserly has failed as badly in the talent finding department as many people do though so that part doesn't upset me.

We'll just have to wait and see (and hope).
Old 12-05-2005   #5
Scott D
Veteran

He failed in the drafting dept. when he signed up Buchannon and released Glenn.
Scott D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D
That was what the coaches wanted. They didn't think they would have a problem with Glenn. Glenn got ticked off at something and I still say we will never know what it was. Glenn took DROB under his belt and had no problems tuitoring the rookie. I think it was very personal too.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #7
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh wonderful, another year of the riverboat gambler!
Old 12-05-2005   #8
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A nightmare on Kirby St?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott D

Charlie makes ol Ladd Herzig look competent... What ever happened to Ladd anyway?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #9
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Charlie has been working on keeping his job and pushing the blame on Capers since we were 0-4. I'm not too surprised about this however if he does stay and doesn't have some personell responsibilities taken away you can almost guarantee that Jimmy Johnson will not coach for the Texans.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Cass will be back. He will let the Coach go, fire some of his assistants and McNair will hire a consultant to come in and shadow Cass' moves. It will be right out of corporate restructuring 101.
Old 12-05-2005   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerV1
Charlie has been working on keeping his job and pushing the blame on Capers since we were 0-4.
I assume you have something other than "a keen analytical mind" with which to support this statement?
Old 12-05-2005   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to consider when deciding if you want Casserly to stay or go is how much you like our current roster. Do you cast more blame for our current situation on poor coaching or poor play? Would you like to see some of our as yet unproven players have a chance to succeed, or do you want as thorough a house cleaning as possible given contract, salary cap, and other ramifications?

The reason to consider this is that if Casserly goes we will probably have more turnover because the new GM and coach will want their own players rather than "Casserly's guys" as much as possible. Conversely, if Casserly stays we will see more of "his guys" stay on the team.

I am in the "keep Casserly and see what some of our team can do under competent coaching" camp. This might lead to a shorter period of rebuilding.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I believe Cass will be back. He will let the Coach go, fire some of his assistants and McNair will hire a consultant to come in and shadow Cass' moves. It will be right out of corporate restructuring 101.
Think you're right, Cass will hang one for one more ride, entire coaching staff will be leaving unless the new HC wants any of them to stay.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro

Yeah , Casserly still has a few people to throw under the buss before his card is punched , Capers and Fangio to name just two .....We can hope he's gone but odds are that the "Riverboat Gambler" returns . :brickwall

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #15
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
I assume you have something other than "a keen analytical mind" with which to support this statement?
No need to be sarcastic.

I don't have the links to the interviews, but on quite a few that I have read, he has made it sound like the problems are not with the player acquisitions(general manager), but rather with development (coaching). Tell ya what, if I find the links I will put them on there.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

I am in the "keep Casserly and see what some of our team can do under competent coaching" camp. This might lead to a shorter period of rebuilding.
or make it much, much, much longer.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yeah, could go either way. This is a hard decision to make. Hopefully McNair has more information than we do and he can make the right choice. I go back and forth on Casserly in my mind and just finished posting to another thread about the mistakes he's made and what I'm afraid he'll do with the first overall pick if we get it (And it wasn't just a standard "Draft Reggie Bush" rant either).

It's hard to say. What do you think? Is this going to be our most interesting off-season ever or what?
Old 12-05-2005   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
What do you think? Is this going to be our most interesting off-season ever or what?
This offseason will definately go a long way in determining whether or not the Texans rebound to a respectable team quickly or slowly. If Casserley fails to fix some of the numerous problems that face this team then chances are we'll be having a discussion next year about how we will be able to coax Ron Wolf out of retirement. In essence we would put of rebuilding another year, and we'd have to wait as our new GM slowly but surely replaced Casserley's players with his own.

I'm hoping that a new coaching staff and a good offseason will go a long way in helping ease the Texans woes. Imagine if you dare a OLine that doesn't have a spot reserved for the likes of Fred Weary, and imagine that OLine with an infusion of talented young players on the depth chart. Imagine Carr actually being able to have time to take a 5 step or, dare I dream it, a 7 step drop. How about the defense? Imagine a defense that is no longer a swinging gate with a broken latch. Imagine that latch is fixed and we see a defense that actually plays tough and smart when the 4th quarter rolls around and the game is on the line. Best of all though. Imagine looking down at the sidelines at a Texans game and seeing a Texans coaching staff that is competent and is capable of getting the best out of their players while gearing the game plan towards their strengths.

BTW Sorry for all the imagine stuff. Kind of gives a John Lennon vibe. That's what you get when you listen to music and post at the same time.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #19
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Whenever someone says fire the coach, the obvious reply is: who's out there to replace him? I almost never see the same question asked about Casserly. Is there really a solid GM prospect out there, looking for a job? I'm disgusted with the condition of this team's roster, but I don't know that there's a hot candidate out there. Lots of HC changes coming this offseason. What about GMs?

I hear Matt Millen might be available.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yes it's hard to determine what we should do. We'll all be better able to say what the right thing to do was now in a couple of years, hindsight being what it is and all.

I'm going to use Ragone as an example of what I'm talking about here with the following caveats: He's probably not the best example, I'm not saying he should be playing now, I don't know if he is a "Casserly guy" guy or not. This is just an example. I'm assuming the coaches are gone.

Ragone's contract his up this year. The Texans could tender him a one year offer for the 4-year veteran minimum, which is I think around $450K. If Casserly is here, we might do that. If Casserly is gone, we might let him walk because there is always more turnover with a complete GM/coaches regime change. The question becomes can we replace him with equivalent talent for the same money, would we have to pay more to get less, or could we pay less to get more?

Now we have to do that for every player on the team that is in a contract year or is "cuttable" because their cap hit would be manageable, etc. In the final analysis at the end of the season, do we get more bang for the buck to keep our current players who would be on the bubble (the probable outcome of the keep Casserly option), or are we better off to do a bigger housecleaning (the probable outcome of the fire Casserly option)?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read