Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2005   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we took Bush, would he automatically be one of our two best receivers without question? That doesn't necessarilly sell me on him, but AJ does need help. If Bush is that much better than Gaff and Armstrong at that position and also better at blocking than DD, that goes a long way with me. People keep saying that Bush could line up at receiver, but are we talking Gaffney and Armstrong type talent or Jerry freaking Rice? I don't doubt that he'd be great after the catch.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #42
compy75
Rookie

Complete issues with Bush both positive and negaive that needs to be brought to the table:

1) He is awfully small in size, DD is 220 and has durability issues, I wonder about Bush.

2) His success is predicated on getting space, mostly as a result of the passing game's respect, he's been playing against college players. Remember how good Charles Rogers looked?

3) I still don't understand how he can succeed when we have no semblance of an offensive line.

Bush is absolutely amazing, I just think amazingly his issues and his skills may not give the team the impact many seem to think.
compy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #43
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep thinking about Barry Sanders and the Lions' lack of winning.
Old 12-05-2005   #44
compy75
Rookie

Quote:
I would too, but Bush is a different back than Sanders. Bush just outruns people, and run hards....Barry made people miss left and right due to his moves, not necessarily his speed.

Barry coulod be successful anywhere, not sure Reggie could.
compy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Sanders won the same amount of Super Bowls as Dan Marino, Earl Campbell and OJ Simpson.....all those great players were well worth watching during their careers and were not the reasons their franchises did not ever win it all. Frankly they are the reason their teams were playoff teams.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #46
HJam72
Hall of Fame

The object of this game is to win Super Bowls, not to have the best individual superstar. I don't want Barry Sanders with a decent or less than decent line. I want Emmit Smith and the Cowboys O-line. (OK, so Emmit was a stud too, but I'm sure you get the point.)
Old 12-05-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Well since it's pretty darn impossible to go to the podium and draft the the Cowboys line we are stuck with trying to find the best player we can find. I'd love to draft a full line with one draft pick too but it doesn't work that way.

Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2005   #48
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I hope he plays well the rest of the year. Then his trade value will be much higher and we can unload him for better picks.
i agree with you.
Old 12-05-2005   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I bet if we trade down, Bush becomes a hall of famer and we end up the Tampa Bay Bucs trading Earl Campbell for Jimmy Giles and a sack of magic beans. I just don't trust Casserly to get better players with later picks....hell we took Travis Johnson for need (what everyone is suggesting - drafting for need)...THAT is exactly the kind of pick we will get if we trade down

Old 12-05-2005   #50
HJam72
Hall of Fame

You've definitely got a point there about trusting Casserly to make the picks.
Old 12-05-2005   #51
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I remember it was rumored the Cards would probably take Hearst. It even came out that he had either a defect or an pre-existing injury the night before the draft. The Cardinals took him in spite of that. He wasn't effective at all for them. He resurrected his career in Cincinnati before heading to San Fran. If memory serves me right, many of the Bengal's players were upset that they let Hearst go. Still to this day, I don't understand they reasoning behind that decision.
Old 12-05-2005   #52
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
I would like to see us keep DD and get Bush. All good NFL teams have a change of pace back. You need more than one back to carry the work load, with the exception of 2-3 teams. What bad could come from haveing more than one good back, or for that instance more than 1 good backup. Also with the versatility of Bush he could be split out wide and be a factor.
I like that idea having having a game breaker and a hardnosed yard grinder in the backfield makes sense to me
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #53
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
The way I see it is this, that run that Davis had set up a field goal for us because he was caught from behind. Bush would finish that play with a TD.

Guys, this guy has a legend who has never had contact with before vying for him as legit. Gayle Sayers has mentioned that this guy has skills that you just can't coach. He basically is saying this guy will make it in the NFL. We gotta get him and instead of building the offense around Carr, build the offense around him.
U and I must be only only ones who saw that. I like DD but he is not the best back as far as breaking a play for scores but he is the best we have.
Old 12-05-2005   #54
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
The object of this game is to win Super Bowls, not to have the best individual superstar. I don't want Barry Sanders with a decent or less than decent line. I want Emmit Smith and the Cowboys O-line. (OK, so Emmit was a stud too, but I'm sure you get the point.)
Have you forgotten who was head coach and general manager of the Cowboys then. Jimmy Johnson teams beat the hell out of Casserly`s Redskins.
Old 12-05-2005   #55
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbest
Have you forgotten who was head coach and general manager of the Cowboys then. Jimmy Johnson teams beat the hell out of Casserly`s Redskins.
I would say that that proves my point, but the truth is it has no bearing on what I was talking about. I want Casserly gone as much as anybody.
Old 12-05-2005   #56
real

Quote:
I suspect that DD has the better hands.

[DD means Dominick Davis...right? why do you think his hands are better?
Old 12-05-2005   #57
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Question: what makes extremely average QBs into Super Bowl winners, while phenomenal QBs like Dan Marino punch out of the league ringless?

Answer: Supporting cast and coaching staff.

Flash and superstardom are well and good, and Marino not winning a ring doesn't take away from what he could (and did) do. But for me, it's quite frankly about the ultimate W. I guess as a fan, you have to ask yourself, would I rather see flashy play, or would I rather wear Houston Texans Super Bowl merchandise? I want whatever is going to make us a championship team, or obviously, what I feel is going to get us that.

Nothing we do this offseason will get us there next year, maybe not even the year or two following that. But building toward that goal, as quickly and as effectively as possible, should be the goal. We have a good nucleus of talent, now we need to build the supporting cast. Drafting for another superstar at the exclusion of building the supporting cast is where we would be going wrong.
we dont have a good nucleus of talent... that is up for debate, we only have 1 guy on the team that would even be close to pro bowl consideration and that is D-Rob...point: we need more talent and not a bunch of "role players"
Old 12-05-2005   #58
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Oakland has a bunch of talent.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005   #59
real

They also have a better record...
Old 12-05-2005   #60
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

But with all that talent, Oakland's record should be way better than it is.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read