Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2005   #1
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler
Default The Problem is Fangio.

So I am in my media room with three of my closes friends enjoying pizza and the Texans game. I watch the first half and think damn the offense looks slow, but the defense looks even worse(crappy penalties and bad playcalling). The second half rolls around and we are laughing at my one friend because he is a Cowboys fan and he loss so it was a winning day in some aspect. Then the defense makes some plays when the get some aggressive play calls and I am thinking why has this not been the playcalling all game against sorry-*** Kyle Boller. Then we are taken on the emotional rollercoaster of the last 4min and are nervous when we finally take the lead. 55 seconds are left and to win the game it is on Fangio's playcalling. My boy mentions this is bad because Fangio calls play like a drooling retarted kid, so you know how that works just thinkin burn. Which in our case gets the defense burnt. Heap makes a spectacular play against our playmaker Greenwood(25mil), and we are wondering were is the pressure that had Kyle Boller looking like crap for most of the 4th quarter. The blitz is on, but they dont drop a LB into the middle to guard against the cross or quick slant. We have a safety on their fastest reciever and we get beat. We sit there and we wonder, how is it that FANGIO still has a job?

Fangio's playcalling is horrid, and we as fans can finally see that when you call our 3-4 aggressively we have the players to make plays. Fangio should be fired tomorrow. I mean promote Hoke now before he takes the TAMU job. Give me your thoughts on Fangio's performance.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Fangio gone as well. But the defense played ok for most of the game. Our problem was on Offense, 5 FG's, and special teams were atrocious.
Old 12-04-2005   #3
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
how is it that FANGIO still has a job?
Good question.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant wait till we get a new DC and some of these guys on our bench get a good long look.

Anderson, Polk, Orr.. i think we really might have some talented players riding the pine.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I cant wait till we get a new DC and some of these guys on our bench get a good long look.

Anderson, Polk, Orr.. i think we really might have some talented players riding the pine.
Agreed.
Old 12-04-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, Fangio is a problem. His 3-4 stinks like nobody's business. The reason you have to fire Capers is that he won't fire Fangio, nor will he fire Pendry which IMO is almost, but not quite as important.

It's going to take a house cleaning to fix this. Then we're going to have to spend at least a year with another coach and staff before we have any true idea whether Casserly has done his job correctly or not.
Old 12-04-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Herv I agree mostly. I think a new staff will be able to instill great turnaround with this team. Legitimately we have the playmakers and role players to push anyteam, but the playcalling puts us in a whole before we even start the game. It is like our coaches do not even watch film.
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2005   #8
College Texan
Veteran

Pressure was on most of the game but his playcalling always seems to break down in the fourth quarter.

Our defense breaks down when we play deep zone, it is like the DB's have no idea of who they are suppose to cover.
College Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #9
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9
Default Great game for Orr; Raw deal for Peek; & My take on drafting Reggie Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

Shantee Orr had a hell of a game today. He has proven that he should be starting. Overall, the defense played a good game, but playcalling at the end cost us a win. The prevent did its job again...it prevented us from winning. Also, IMHO, Peek got a raw deal today. The two roughing the passer calls against him were pure BS. It made it look like Peek was being targeted by the refs.

While I'm posting, I just wanted to put my in about the Reggie Bush situation. IMHO, I think drafting him would be a mistake unless we pick him first and then trade him. We need too many other positions to grab another player at a position that we are strong at. We have D. Davis, J. Wells, & V. Morrency, so we really don't need another RB. I know it would be nice to have him, but honestly, would we be better off with Bush or a couple of top O-linemen? If we drafted Bush, we could trade him for a top veteran OT and another 1st round pick, or maybe a top veteran Center and a 1st. I just think that drafting him to play for us would keep us from filling the major holes that we have.

I know everyone is excited about getting Bush, but is it the best thing?
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer gets axed a few games into the season while Fangio's defense has been horrible all year. Why is he even here? Let Dom call the defensive plays and see what he's got.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #11
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Good question.

I asked that last week. How he got a job is beyond me. He has failed every place he has been.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Palmer gets axed a few games into the season while Fangio's defense has been horrible all year. Why is he even here? Let Dom call the defensive plays and see what he's got.
someone said last week and I am almost in agreement with this. Palmer was the scapegoat. Palmer was running an offense that Capers wants and I am in belief now that if Palmer was still hear.. He would be our "interim" head coach right now and Capers would be gone. As it is now..I can't imagine any of our coaching staff taking over the reigns.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #13
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
someone said last week and I am almost in agreement with this. Palmer was the scapegoat. Palmer was running an offense that Capers wants and I am in belief now that if Palmer was still hear.. He would be our "interim" head coach right now and Capers would be gone. As it is now..I can't imagine any of our coaching staff taking over the reigns.
IIRC, after Palmer's firing, they said that Palmer was asked to give up some of his responsibilities and let Pendry call some of the offensive plays. They said that Palmer refused because he did not want to take a step backwards in his carreer, so they said they were forced to let him go.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

agreed like none other...fangio's version of the 3-4 defense is like 49ers...it's almost none existant...only the past two games have we had multiple sacks like we're supposed to...and that' probably because the last two teams we faced had sub-par offensive lines...minus orlando pace
Old 12-04-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
I really wish Dom would call plays for the rest of the year. I know he'd step the pressure up even more than what it has been the last two weeks and I doubt he drops into soft cover 2's on every third down and in the two minute defense.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Dom was known for his blitz happy tactics as a DC and it is partly the reason why he received his shot as a HC. It is strange to see a Dom Capers team running such a soft defensive system. I welcome him calling the Defensive Plays, plus it would give him more to write in his notepad.
Old 12-04-2005   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Fangio has done some awful coaching, but even without him our defense is porous, so he doesn't bother me as much as Pendry. We have a lot of new talent on the defense, unlike the offense, which has very similar players to last year.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the real problems are Fangio and Casserly, although Pendry isn't helping the situation at all....and, yes, Palmer was a scape goat (I've said this 3 or 4 times this year), but I don't know if Palmer would work as an HC. Replacing the entire bunch of them will work too.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Dom was known for his blitz happy tactics as a DC and it is partly the reason why he received his shot as a HC. It is strange to see a Dom Capers team running such a soft defensive system. I welcome him calling the Defensive Plays, plus it would give him more to write in his notepad.
Dom Capers could be my defensive coordinator any day of the week. For that matter so could Jerry Glanville (back in the day). I wouldn't let either of them near my Head Coach position though (for different reasons). Dom simply cannot dismiss an assistant who's loyal but failing to get it done and Jerry can't handle the attention and becomes the biggest distraction/obstacle to the teams success.

Some guys just don't make good head coaches. It takes a different set of skills than being a coordinator.
Old 12-04-2005   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Hervoyel and I have had a handful of disagreements in the past, so I thought I would be a good neighbor and make it a point to note my agreement with him and most of the others who have come before me on this thread. Dom was known for bringing the wood on defense, and I don't really grasp (other than through office politics or the good-buddy system) how Fangio is still employed. I understand that changing coordinators, especially at this late point in the year, could be difficult for the team, but sweet heavens, could we be any worse?

Shantee Orr has stepped up, in my opinion. He is still out of position sometimes, but he has done well and reintroduced a fire to this D that we have been missing. We finally sat Coleman out today, and Brown and Earl did a pretty solid job, until Brown got caught out of position on that last play and didn't have anyone back there to help.

It is a shame we had to ruin an almost entirely positive, fired-up defensive effort with that kind of playcalling at the end.

Fangio, it's nothing personal, but none of us would be upset if you just didn't show up for work tomorrow morning.
Good take. There was some good stuff happening on the D today. DRob was back to form as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read