Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-03-2005   #1
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My 2 cents about taking Reggie Bush

Everyone seems to have a different idea about what the Texans should/will take in the draft this year. Obviously, I don't post much, just kind of lurk and read a lot of the posts, but I wanted to go ahead and throw my thoughts on the situation out there.

Houston is going to have to rebuild. No matter what their record ends up being, Houston is in major need of about every position on the field. We, as we have always, need a quality lineman or two. We could also use a linebacker, but I also think many of us here are in the agreement that it is going to take several years to rebuild this team, not just one year or one player. With that said, I think we should go ahead and draft Reggie Bush. If it is going to take several years to rebuild, why couldn't we take lineman in the 2nd round-7th round, or any year after this.

There are serviceable linemen almost every year that would be much better than anything we have right now, but how often does a player like Reggie Bush come along? One lineman isn't going to change the team and even though Reggie probably won't change it much, he definitely will be a start of a rebuild.

Now the argument will be made that we have Dominick Davis, but I honestly don't believe that matters. I dont' think you pass on this kind of talent unless you have a player like Shaun Alexander or Ladanian Tomlinson. Plus, maybe Dominck Davis could be turned into trade bait for a lineman or picks. Another argument will be made that Bush can't carry the load and he's too small. My answer to that is, why can't Houston run a "Thunder and Lightning" running game. I, personally, like the "Thunder and Lightning" idea and think that its a great plan. USC runs it right now and it works for them, and in the NFL, Atlanta, Denver and the New York Giants are just a few examples of teams that pull it off very effectively. It seems like its very dynamic, as you can have one player hit the outside and scamper, yet you have your big back who can bruise the defense. As a bonus, neither get all that tired and it will probably increase the durability of both as they're not having to carry a full load and get hit 30 times a game.

Like I stated before, its going to take several years for Houston to rebuild this team, and I believe good....hell very good linemen can be taken any of the upcoming years, or even in the later rounds this year....but you can't pass on a player like this.

P.S. So far, while typing this, Reggie Bush has ran for 6 billion yards in a quarter and a half so far against UCLA.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I agree that we should split up the RB duties a little more, but Davis isn't much of a thunder option for your thunder and lightning approach, plus we just signed him to a new deal so trading him off with result in a multi-million cap hit. If Gaffney ends up leaving in free agency, it could be interesting to see us draft him and use him primarily as a WR and then as a third down RB. While we wouldn't have a true #2 WR to complement AJ, having Mathis and Bush would provide two decent WR with some serious speed that would take attention away from Andre. Right now people don't even have to guard Bradford because he rarely catches anything, and they don't have to worry about Gaffney outrunning many people to the endzone, so if Gaff leaves I can definitely see us drafting Bush and using him as a WR/3rd down RB. If Gaff stays I have to say we trade down and fill other needs, although Bush is certainly a tantalizing talent.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I got somethin tantalizing for you Mork. Either way I agree with you and feel that you have an interesting point. Who would you compare Reggie Bush to as a WR?
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Maybe a Steve Smith, possibly a Joey Galloway in his younger, quicker years.
Old 12-03-2005   #5
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

OK. I think it will take him a year to learn how to properly run routes, but he should be decent WR. I was thinking Steve Smith at first, but now I am thinking more of a Laveraneous Coles
Old 12-03-2005   #6
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston wouldn't exactly have to use Davis as their "Thunder." We DO have Jonathan Wells, though he's not exactly the greatest RB. A big back that would be serviceable could be drafted in the later rounds, as well.
Old 12-03-2005   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

True, if we got Bush Davis could still be our main RB, Wells could come in for short yardage or occasional normal plays, and Bush could come in on third downs or on some regular plays as a change of pace, and then be used as a WR most of the time. That leaves Morency out of the equation though after spending a third rounder on him last year, and I think he could still be an effective RB if given the chance.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2005   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We would get rid of Hollings, about time IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Upon drafting Reggie Bush I would trade Domanick Davis, if it were possible (and it may not be with his new salary) to someone in hopes of getting a 2, a 3, or possibly another player who could help me somewhere else. All things being equal I'd rather have a draft pick.

That's of course predicated on the idea that I was completely sold on Reggie Bush as my running back. As the first player taken in the draft he's going to command some bank and I can't see the Texans paying him and Davis what they would both cost (Casserly acted a bit too soon on that DD renegotiation IMO).
Old 12-04-2005   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Upon drafting Reggie Bush I would trade Domanick Davis, if it were possible (and it may not be with his new salary) to someone in hopes of getting a 2, a 3, or possibly another player who could help me somewhere else. All things being equal I'd rather have a draft pick.
I'd agree with that statement if we knew what Morency could do. The coaching staff has, after promising to give him 10 touches a game, done nothing with him. He was easily our most electric player in the preseason but the coaches are horrible at evaulating talent and didnt let him see the field this year. I think we need to see what he has before we get rid of Davis. We keep Davis for one more year so we have a backup and it will also allow us to work Bush in slowly while also giving Morency some work so we can see if we have a cheap backup that will be effective.

There is also no way we get anything more than a 3rd for Davis.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Yeah I wouldn't count on getting anything more than a 3rd either. Didn't Buffalo get a 3rd for Travis Henry? That being said, I would take a 3rd because then we could package two 3rds to maybe get another 2nd. Then we could possibly get both Max Jean-Gilles and Leonard Pope.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to draft Bush because it more than certainly spells the end for Tony Hollings. You have Norris as your FB, Davis as the starter for now, Wells as your servicable back up and bigger back for short yardage, Morency to split time with Davis, and Bush to learn the ropes and even see the field as a receiver.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

If you are going to draft Bush, you are going to use him, not have him learn the ropes and never get a few touches here and there every once in a while. I would keep Norris and Wells like you said, get rid of Davis for a draft pick or possibly a player, and have Morency be a backup. You would have your "thunder and lightning" with Bush and Wells, a young cheap backup who has a lot of potential with Morency, and a quality full back with Norris. If Davis was making less money then I would keep him, but I think that we shouldn't tie up so much money into one position when we have several other areas that could use that money.
Old 12-04-2005   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like your scenario better although I for one would like to see one of our 1st rounders get the benefit of feeling out a season, especially if it is a rebuilding season. But hey, that is what trainging camp is for and I still agree that getting Bush means bye bye Tony Hollings.

But the #1 reason why you gotta get Bush is because DD in 3 years has proven that after the first 7 or so games he will get an injury that will keep him out every other game for 3 to 4 weeks.

People question Bush's endurance but when you have the stable of backs we could potentially have mixed in with the emergence of a bigger stronger JWells, How much endurance does this kid need? Also, why should endurance even be a question for this kid? Seems like he plays 4or5 different positions and is taking it to the house in everyone of those positions.

I wanted this kid last year too so I hope we get him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I think Bush's endurance issue is more of a myth than a fact. Bush sees a lot of action from the sidelines for two major reasons.

1) Seems like every time he touches the ball he gets about 20 or 30 yards so he needs a rest.

2) Pete Carroll tries to get everyone involved so he makes sure that LenDale gets his carries and Matt gets his passing yards.

When you are blessed with a team as talented as his, you can afford to play like that. But if you noticed in the close games (ND and Fresno) Reggie Bush was the one carrying the load.
Old 12-04-2005   #16
Heywood
Veteran

why trade davis? the texans are solidly under the cap- they are not trying to win 100%.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #17
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

In these scenarios I think if you keep Davis which would tie up a lot of money in the backfield. Davis, Bush, Wells, and Morency. Morency and Hollings are obviously getting moved because they are dead money. Bush takes over as our WR/3rd down back if we keep Davis or our premeire RB if we let Davis go. The thing is Well will need more carries because Bush will not be an overly viable option on short yardage and goalline. Think about Clinton Portis on the goalline he just does not usually get the rock due to his size. Either way a rotation of Bush, Wells, and Morency would likely be our best option if taking Bush and using him at RB. If we take Bush and lose Gaffney. I say we use him in the before mentioned way and we have alot of options on the field for Kubiak to choose from.
Old 12-04-2005   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone throwing out ''trade Domanick" like it's no big deal needs to consider the 7 million or so cap hit that would go along with it. The Texans just gave him 8 million guaranteed and signed him through '09. In general, for every year prior to '09 that you release him, it will count an equal fraction of that guaranteed money.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a big concern that Bush is not the goal line back for his college team. Very disconcerting. The object of the game is to score more points than the opponent and the possible number one pick is not the frist choice on his college team. Is it an indictment of his ability or is Carroll stupid?

Bush is an exciting college player, but number 1 money coming from the Texans creates more questions than answers for the direction of this team.
Old 12-04-2005   #20
C Madd
Veteran

We could always keep Dominick Davis around until his contract is up. I just don't think you can pass on someone of Reggie Bush's caliber. Linemen can be had anytime (free agency, upcoming drafts)...Reggie Bush cannot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read