Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-29-2004   #1
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default Eli gets 20 million to sign!!!!!

A rookie record and the signing bonus is only behind his brothers. Wonder what his base salaries are....

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7535369

I really think the NFL needs to discuss making the signing of rookies like the NBA, where there is a set money total you get for being a certain pick and there is no negotiating, because of holdouts, 3 people in the same draft wanting #1 money, and contracts like this...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the post Fiddy! But no the NFL salary structure works just fine right now allowing small market teams to compete with the larger ones. You only have to look at MLB to see the disparity. NFL rules
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Fiddy,

Each team is allocated a certain amout for each pick. If your 1st rounder gets X dollars and it is more than is allocated to that pick, it comes out of the other picks' allocations.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Fiddy,

Each team is allocated a certain amout for each pick. If your 1st rounder gets X dollars and it is more than is allocated to that pick, it comes out of the other picks' allocations.
I know about allocated money, but when a unproven player is getting the 2nd highest signing bonus of all time, I just think it is a way too much....and just imagine what next year's first overall pick is going to want.

beerlover makes a great point about the NFL system working and allowing disparity, the only team that doesnt have a chance this year to win the Superbowl are the 49ers

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 07-29-2004   #5
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Fiddy. I'm sure you would think it's too much. Why is it that everything that happens to athletes people like to compare it with themselves? Never understood that.
Old 07-29-2004   #6
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I believe that Fiddy makes a good point .. the money is getting out of hand.

kbourda: And I do believe that people are allowed to state their opinions ..
I don't know what the problem is, but the SNAPPING that you do to people on the board is out of line.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
Well, Fiddy. I'm sure you would think it's too much. Why is it that everything that happens to athletes people like to compare it with themselves? Never understood that.
When did I compare Eli to myself??? I think you may have spent too much time at the Ricky Williams thread.

Brett Favre, when he signed his new deal 3 years ago, got around $20 million bonus
McNabb, 2 years ago, signed a deal with a bonus of 14 million
Carr's Bonus was 11 million

All I am saying is that how can the Giants give out a bonus that puts Eli in the same class as an all-time great, better then a Pro-Bowler and a QB that has been to the NFC Championship game 3 times, and is $10 million more than what a player who was picked at the same spot two years ago got.

Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2004   #8
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

its a gamble, if Manning doesn't pan out the giants will be in everlasting cap hell.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #9
Panther5407
All Pro

I'm with Fiddy on this one. What the heck does he need all that money for right now anyways. But if people want to throw around there money like that, throw some of it my way.
Old 07-29-2004   #10
pv1999
Veteran

Bottom line is that in the NFL business you try to put people on the field that people want to see. Giant fans havent had a hero since LT. There are many people who want to see this kid play, the team will make it's money back in a year or so and it might be true that Peyton was the worst of the Manning QB's. If that pans out he was a bargain.
Old 07-30-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Thought this was funny
Quote:
With $20,000,000, Manning could ...

Endow 100 in-state athletic scholarships to his alma mater, Ole Miss. That would cover the entire football team with 15 scholarships left over for other deserving kids.
Take Peyton to his favorite restaurant in Indianapolis, St. Elmo's ... 167,000 times.
Buy 100,000 of his own Reebok Giants jerseys.
Buy 200,000 pairs of the Reebok shoes he wears.
Subscribe to USA Today for 109,589 years, or give everyone in the city of Green Bay a one-year subscription.
Purchase 7,692 suits from Lombardo Custom Clothiers in Dallas, which would enable him to wear a different suit every day of the week for 21 years.
Buy 170 top-of-the-line Mercedes-Benz S500 AMG automobiles.
Buy 833 Rolex gold presidential watches.
Order 90,909 yearly subscriptions to Sirius Satellite Radio, complete with equipment. That would cover everyone living in Canton, Ohio, home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Get 100,502 friends a one-year subscription for DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket.
Gather 153,905 friends to play in a fantasy league on CBS SportsLine.com.
Buy and drink 6,666,666 12-packs of Diet Pepsi, my favorite beverage.
Purchase 40,000 Super Bowl XXXIX tickets, or a little less than half of the seats in Jacksonville's Alltel Stadium.
As of this moment, buy up 698,324 shares of Microsoft. I wonder what Bill Gates thinks of this signing bonus?
Buy 25,316,455 cans of Campbell's Chunky Soup.
Send 1,379,310 FedEx packages with standard one-day delivery.
Get 2,002,002 12-packs of Coors Light in cans.
Charter 5,555 hours on a private Challenger Jet.
According to Manhattan Realty Corp. in New York, buy six luxury condos inside the world-reknowned Trump Tower in Manhattan.
Or if city life isn't for him, buy the Bullis Creek Ranch, a 10,000-acre ranch in Livingston, Mont., currently for sale for $20,000,000.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7538490

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read