Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2005   #1
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FOX Sports puts odds on Dom staying

Dom Capers, Texans

Odds he'll be back next season: 500-1
His status: In talking to Capers on Wednesday, he called the loss to the Rams this past week the worst loss in the 20 years he has been in the NFL. That's saying something considering his team is 1-10. The Texans have been the awful combination of being both horrible and unlucky. The offensive line is a disaster. Quarterback David Carr hasn't taken the next step. Receiver Andre Johnson has been hurt, and consequently ineffective. The defense can't make a stop. Owner Bob McNair expected at least eight wins this year, and he has stated a decision will be made after the season.
How he can save his job: Hope the public relations staff is too hung over after New Year's Eve to call a press conference on Monday, Jan. 2.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #2
66cobra
Veteran

Interesting. Could I see the entire link so I can read the whole thing? I want to know if and how he compares to other coaches on the hot seat.

I thought that Dom was a good fit because of his experience with startup teams, but now with some games under the belt, it may be time to really change things up. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it is true, in my opinion.
It doesn't help that certain players have not really played up to expectations and I hope that we can do something about that.

As far as the defense goes, I think that the 3-4 is a good defense but we don't really have every piece in place. This roster is more suited for the 4-3 because of the tweeners we have. Like someone else on this board stated, I think that the tweener LBs are better as rotational/situational DEs and possibly LBs (in a pinch). Since he is one of my favorite players, I hope that Babin might get some help by switching to the 4-3. In a 3-4, the line doesn't get enough pressure up front for the OLBs to really fire on the QB (they always seem to be 1/2 to a full second too late to lower the boom), but in a 4-3, it might work. I have seen teams work with less than what we have in a 4-3 defense.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cobra
Interesting. Could I see the entire link so I can read the whole thing? I want to know if and how he compares to other coaches on the hot seat.

I thought that Dom was a good fit because of his experience with startup teams, but now with some games under the belt, it may be time to really change things up. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it is true, in my opinion.
It doesn't help that certain players have not really played up to expectations and I hope that we can do something about that.

As far as the defense goes, I think that the 3-4 is a good defense but we don't really have every piece in place. This roster is more suited for the 4-3 because of the tweeners we have. Like someone else on this board stated, I think that the tweener LBs are better as rotational/situational DEs and possibly LBs (in a pinch). Since he is one of my favorite players, I hope that Babin might get some help by switching to the 4-3. In a 3-4, the line doesn't get enough pressure up front for the OLBs to really fire on the QB (they always seem to be 1/2 to a full second too late to lower the boom), but in a 4-3, it might work. I have seen teams work with less than what we have in a 4-3 defense.
I don't have a preference, but isn't the genius ? in dallas trying to change from 4-3 to the 3-4 defense. Not that I hold dallas in esteem.
Old 12-02-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the Link for the article.
Old 12-02-2005   #5
SESupergenius

I'd actually like to give Capers 1 more season. This year is a total disaster, but the previous 3 I was right on target for satisfaction. Change the GM and scouting office and see what we get. I really hate for this team to start from square 1 again.
Old 12-02-2005   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I'd actually like to give Capers 1 more season. This year is a total disaster, but the previous 3 I was right on target for satisfaction. Change the GM and scouting office and see what we get. I really hate for this team to start from square 1 again.
Don't you think the coordinators really have to go even if you keep Capers?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:

i agree, but i was thinking a lil different after steve M. lost his job in detroit i mean he's a good coach.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2005   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd actually like to give Capers 1 more season.
Replace the Coordinators, which Capers would be very unhappy about, and the GM and I might agree, except for one problem: I don't think Capers knows how to motivate his players. I think it's more a personality problem than a lack of knowledge.

Let's just start over.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Replace the Coordinators, which Capers would be very unhappy about, and the GM and I might agree, except for one problem: I don't think Capers knows how to motivate his players. I think it's more a personality problem than a lack of knowledge.

Let's just start over.

start over it seems like we just started, we are way to young to begin rebuilding already
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I didn't really mean ALL of the players, of course.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #11
texanbychoice
Rookie

Default water boy

Quote:
id return him forone more year as the water boy
texanbychoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #12
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Don't you think the coordinators really have to go even if you keep Capers?
The mindset needs to go, if that means that the coordinators can't accept that then yes, they all need to go. Fangio has to realize that this defense works best when we are blitzing effectively, how he accomplishes that is on him. Pendy needs to come up with a more efficient and prolific offense. How he accomplishes that is on him. If he can't accept that then he's gone as well. There are always innovative and creative thinking coordiantors out there, they don't necessarily have to be young either. I admit that if no chance is on the horizon then Capers needs to go and a fresh new look needs to be implemented. I just don't want to let go of the 3-4, and a little selfish in that regard. (I'm a 3-4 Homy) If we brought in a defensive coordinator that runs a 3-4 the Free Willy, I'm on the Fire Capers bandwagon! Until then, Fire CASSERLY!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2005   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
Wish this this guy would back this bet at 500/1, but will take this bet all day long. This is talk.. that he won't walk.
Doesn't he mean 500-1 against Capers staying?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
Just how much do you want... to bet. That your wish will come true.. Capers won't be back next season. Easy big fellow, at 500/1 you can really get hurt.
a couple of $ would not hurt me
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #15
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
start over it seems like we just started, we are way to young to begin rebuilding already
Hope the new coach can get this young team going.
Old 12-03-2005   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we have a lack of talent. I just think we have a losers mentality. Teams with a losers mentality can always find a way to lose, like last week. Capers has the knowledge he's just not a good motivator.

I've taped as much news presses and locker room speaches as I've been able to the past three years and its always the same thing, "You guys really showed me something today", yada yada yada and some other stuff I can't remember. I have tapes where he has repeated the same exact speach for the past three 1/2 years.

If you notice in his career as a head coach he has had success early in his tenure. No one doubts in our first years our team played with alot more heart and those teams had less ovrl. talent as we do now, but over time he loses the team and he has lost the players. On a team with no "leaders" you need a coach that can lead and he simply isn't a leader. He's a coordinator and can be a excellant coordinator on a team.

What we need is a coach that is a motivator and inspires his players and knows how to win and instills discipline and holds his players accountable.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #17
Jimpster
Rookie

I'd take that bet Dom won't be here next year. Dom's win-loss record as an NFL Head Coach is 47-76. With a record like that, he may never be coaching anywhere in the NFL again.
Jimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

You can write this down on your note pad...Dom will be gone.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #19
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Red face I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpster
I'd take that bet Dom won't be here next year. Dom's win-loss record as an NFL Head Coach is 47-76. With a record like that, he may never be coaching anywhere in the NFL again.
But he's done pretty good, for a young team. (without a lot of free agents) He chooses to build his team, through the draft. Or, it may be, they have choosen to go that way, & he can't help what happens, in the top office. He's allready proven his ability to win, given all of the help he needs, to get the job done. The Panthers & Jaguars both kicked butt--(hope that's okay) When they first came into the league. & the Bengals did pretty good, from the start. (With Paul Brown still coaching) But it's rare for that to happen.--- Actually, I came here to apologize for a post I placed on here, last Sunday. If anyone read it, after the game, they would think I was insulting you all. I said something like "You all really deserve it"---That post was made at half-time. & the Texans were on top BIG TIME! I was happy for you! The Rams are tough! Your team has stood up strong, against some tough teams! I know---I'm from Cincinnatti! & honestly, I was more worried in that game (counting only games, they managed to get a win in.) than any other game, they've played in. See ya Houston! & hang in there with Coach Capers. He really is a good coach. (But Coaches, don't put on the pads)

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 12-03-2005 at 11:42 PM.
ohwhyknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Just firing the coordinators is something that should've happened at the end of last year. For some reason though I did wake up this morning thinking that Capers would be given another chance. I don't want that to happen.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read