Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2005   #1
The Preacher
Veteran

Default Travis Johnson

Has he lived up to anybody's expectations and what kind of future do you see him as having? I was wondering what the prevailing mood was. He was drafted around where Tommie Harris was and it took him a year to get going so how long before the jury is out?
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It's really hard to say because he doesn't start. I think the jury will not fully be out on him until after next year. I think his future kind of depends on the coaching staff next year though. I have seen him do good things and then I have seen him do nothing at all. I love his attitude though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

for my expectations travis johnson has definetly lived up to his draft status...look the main thing everyone needs to realize is that both offensive and defensive lineman (especially d-lineman) need time to develop in the nfl no matter where they were drafted...TJ next year will be more involved in whatever defense we are running and will be more productive and then in his third year he will be the starter and will be an absolute terror...given no injury problems
Old 12-02-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think if we switch to the 4-3 next year, you will see if he is worth or not.
Old 12-02-2005   #5
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

I think, after watching interviews and listening to his knowledge and respect of the game, that Travis could wind up being a leader on this team, especially on defense!

However, that depends on talent and production as well. He sems to have a pretty good motor. Also, it seems like DT's take a while to grasp the game.

Personally, I think 75 will be fine. (shh...but would still pick DJ, actually!)
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I think if we switch to the 4-3 next year, you will see if he is worth or not.
He does look pretty badass with that black visor though.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

He doesnt play enough for me to even say he was worth a number 1 pick. When we picked that high in the draft, we should have gotten a starter, not a back-up....
Old 12-02-2005   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Just not ready to give a thumbs up or down on him yet. The player needs more time to develop. If he is not making plays by the end of next season (when I assume we will probably be looking at drafting defensive players), then we might want to rethink him. But so far, so good.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
He doesnt play enough for me to even say he was worth a number 1 pick. When we picked that high in the draft, we should have gotten a starter, not a back-up....
He'll be a starter soon enough, if he's good enough anyway. Walker isn't that young. Also most 3 man fronts like to rotate their DTs so he should get more time.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I am rooting for TJ.

Agree with the others that say it is too early to tell with him. Think that he will be a good one though, and I think it was a position we needed to draft for.

But as an aside, I will say that I think he might have the type of large personality that can make him one of the leaders on the D. Very personable and funny.

At one of the Texans events, I was trying to get personalized messages on a Texans baseball cap for someone going through chemotherapy and who was losing her hair. Anyhow, I ran into Travis Johnson first, and he signs the hat and says, come with me, I'll get the whole team to sign. And he walks me back where the team was and got everyone there to sign it with really nice messages.

It might not be a big deal, but he didn't have to do that and a lot of athletes wouldn't have.

Anyhow, I hope he stays on track and is a force on our team for a long time to come.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #11
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
At one of the Texans events, I was trying to get personalized messages on a Texans baseball cap for someone going through chemotherapy and who was losing her hair.
See, Stef, I knew you were a sweet heart !!!!!

bobby 119C
They turnt me loose from the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #12
touttail
All Pro

TJ is going through typical rookie pains this year. Give him time, he will be a good defensive lineman!

bobby 119C:brickwall
They turnt me loose form the hospital, ummm hmmm, said I was well!
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'll admit I wasn't happy at ALL with the pick but he's growing on me. Especially if we switch to a 4-3.

I concur with the board. Too little info on him to tell anything right now.
Old 12-02-2005   #14
Sportsfan
All Pro

i like his attitude for sure. Texans need more players w/some 'tude and aren't affraid to intimidate and talk smack.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #15
yaboycm
Veteran

He will have a career about as long as his first contract. Then he will become a 600 pound man.
Old 12-02-2005   #16
TexanFanInDenver
Rookie

I believe he will show himself as a great player as soon as he gets some push from the linebackers.
TexanFanInDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

So if TJ does turn out to be a stud, do ya'll give Casserly any credit?

Hopefully our D will be much more aggressive next year and we see him starting. That's when we'll all know if he's worth the first round pick or not. Of course, I'm hoping he's all that and a bag of Cheetohs. I mean, he's our boy!
Old 12-03-2005   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when most of you went "Who?" when Casserly took Chester Pitts in the 2nd round?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Remember when most of you went "Who?" when Casserly took Chester Pitts in the 2nd round?
That doesn't mean much when they took David Carr and I said, "Who?"

(I say, "Who?" a lot.)
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #20
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Give him time. Given the season that we've had it's almost tough to call. With time, he'll be one of the best.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read