Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2005   #1
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Default Carr and O-Line on 610 AM

He said he was very comfortable with this line we have now, and he has time to throw the ball now. He also said he liked the guys we have at right and left tackle. After the first half against the Rams, I think it should show some of whats to come in the last five games if this O-Line works.
Old 12-02-2005   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the offense and team do start to pull things together and end the season strong. IMO momentum at the end of the season is important--negative case in point, Cleveland last year. In the end though, unless Carr racks up 300 yds in each of the last 5 games with 15 TD's and no INT's, we would largely have the same discussion here because none of the teams are good so those games will not count.
Old 12-02-2005   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Sounds good, but I'm waiting for the results from Baltimore before I concede that the O-line has improved. I suspect that unfortunately, Carr is going to be running a lot or doing the one/two-step-and-pass thing again.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that worries me about this is if the O line sustains the improvement through the rest of the season and we skip on drafting offensive linemen in the top rounds and then the O line regressing next season. Also, St. Louis has one of the worst overall defenses in the NFL, so they could have made the O line look better than they actually are. I guess we will find out over the next couple of weeks.
Old 12-02-2005   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you expect him to say in public? This line sucks? This is grain of salt time. Look at all of the offensive statistics - not just sacks allowed - and see how this line stacks up to last years'. We're better than we were at the beginning of this year, and that is faint praise indeed.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #6
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
What do you expect him to say in public? This line sucks? This is grain of salt time. Look at all of the offensive statistics - not just sacks allowed - and see how this line stacks up to last years'. We're better than we were at the beginning of this year, and that is faint praise indeed.
Heres one, how bout watching the games? You can see the line is better now than at the begining of the season. Im starting to think that yall are so negative on here, you go blind when anything begins to show some sign of improvement. David even said half the sacks and the bad decisions were half his fault because of him being a little shellshocked at the begining of the season.
Old 12-02-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
Heres one, how bout watching the games? You can see the line is better now than at the begining of the season. Im starting to think that yall are so negative on here, you go blind when anything begins to show some sign of improvement. David even said half the sacks and the bad decisions were half his fault because of him being a little shellshocked at the begining of the season.
Here's one, how about reading the posts? In this line I said we were better than at the start of the year:

We're better than we were at the beginning of this year, and that is faint praise indeed.

The point is we were so bad at the start of the year that being better than that does not mean we are all that good.

We had a better line if you look at running and passing - the whole package - last year.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2005   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole "offensive line has improved" BS drives me freakin nuts!

As far as Carr saying that he is now "comfortable" with the OL, and that he "likes" who is playing LT and RT "right now" . . . well, what in hell to do you expect him to say? That he's "uncomfortable" with them, or that he "doesn't like them"?

Please!

All of you "offensive line has improved" happy little campers need to send Joe Pendry an email telling him to dump all these 2 and 3 step drops with the quick hitches, and have Carr go back to taking 5 step drops, and stand there and go through the progressions, and look for the open receiver.

Then you can tell me if the offensive line has improved. But until then, you've got nothing to base it on.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #9
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
This whole "offensive line has improved" BS drives me freakin nuts!

As far as Carr saying that he is now "comfortable" with the OL, and that he "likes" who is playing LT and RT "right now" . . . well, what in hell to do you expect him to say? That he's "uncomfortable" with them, or that he "doesn't like them"?

Please!

All of you "offensive line has improved" happy little campers need to send Joe Pendry an email telling him to dump all these 2 and 3 step drops with the quick hitches, and have Carr go back to taking 5 step drops, and stand there and go through the progressions, and look for the open receiver.

Then you can tell me if the offensive line has improved. But until then, you've got nothing to base it on.
You need help. You must not be watching the same games I am.
Old 12-02-2005   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Certain parts of the O-line are definately playing better. Pitts is a much better LT than he is LG and he is playing more comfortable at that posistion. McKinney is a LG and that should be his posistion he plays tons better there. Hog is a decent pass blocking center, but he is not much help in the run game. Brown, Riley, and Washington are serviceable at best. Weigert and Wade get the job done when not injured, but should probably switch posistions.

All in all the line is playing better. Carr likes who is at LT and RT because it is the guys who should have been there at the beginning of the season. You put your athletic lineman on the ends. Now I doubt Carr is completely happy with the playcalling. I would assume that he would rather have the line the way it is and 3 wide outs rather than that max protect bull.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where in the last few games do you see a normal 5 and 7 step drop offense? They did much better against the Rams (where the Rams were stupid enough to try to man cover AJ), but that is the only game in the past couple months they have attempted anything resembling an NFL offense.
Old 12-02-2005   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The offensive line has improved from the beginning of the year. But they still are not what you'd consider a good unit. They're not terrible, and that's something. But you don't see Carr take seven step drops and let deeper patterns emerge. The line cannot consistently protect him on those types of plays. We haven't seen a game prior to the Rams game where we weren't game planning to get the ball out in under 3 seconds. The Rams defense is as porous as ours, so you do have to take that game with a grain of salt.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i agree with drafting some quality lineman in this upcoming draft...but probably not in round one...and carr is looking more comfortable in the pocket...true st. louis is a horrible defense like ours...but pitts and weigert were able to keep lenard little off him who is a dynamic pass rusher just like dwight freeney...if weigert could stay healthy an entire year he probably would be our starter at RT...as far as the draft goes everyone by now should know the guy i think we need the most...the kid from ou davin joseph
Old 12-02-2005   #14
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
You do know that the Texans are the blue team right???
Old 12-02-2005   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Default Do I watch the games?

I was asked if I watched the games. It is time for me to come clean.

Ok. I admit it. I've never watched a Texans game. However, I am a bit of an amateur cryptanalyst, and this is what I do. I glean what data I can from the following sources:

1) Texan talk over drinks
2) Water cooler discussion
3) Newspaper articles
4) Radio shows (I don't listen to any play-by-play)
5) TV news (but I don't watch the replays)
6) Discussion with various and sundry people who know something about the Texans
7) Texan message boards

I take this data and reconstruct what I think may have happened during the game in my head. I then comment on this reconstruction.

As an aside, there are those on this board who would make excellent cryptographers. Many posts do an excellent job of obfuscating what really happened in the game. Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2005   #16
gcolby
Veteran

The point about Carr still not having the time for 5 and 7 step drops, or time to allow deep routes to develop is valid. Yes, the line is better, but we are still playing with only a third of the passing playbook because we can't protect the QB.

Glen
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #17
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

This board is in rare form this morning
Old 12-02-2005   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Word on the street is that Carr has two left feet and that anything over 3 steps actually will take him out of the pocket.
Old 12-02-2005   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

This line MIGHT make a good college line, but it's a poor NFL line. Better than the start of the year...yes...somewhat. Good enough to win games against a good defense....Hardly. With the addition of a player or two and all the guys healthy, they could be solid. Ahhhh...next year.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup, the O-line has progressed since the start of the year but will still need a shot of draft to last through an entire season, and perform well.

IMO the D-line is actually a bigger problem right now. Our pass defence is mediocre at best and... the run defense is nearly non-existant.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read