Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-03-2004   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default did the colts help or hurt themselves this draft??

they traded out of the 1st round to get these players:

bob sanders ss iowa
ben hartsock te ohio st.
gilbert gardner olb pur
kendyll pope olb fsu
jason david cb wsu
jake scott ot idaho
von hutchins cb miss
jim sorgi qb wis
david kimball k psu

their first two picks are horrible...how many safeties and tight ends do they need?...these were not the bpa when they picked either...all in all the indy fans have to be upset by these picks...they really needed a solid corner and some DL help
Old 05-03-2004   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

how do you also think this will affect them this year and down the road?
Old 05-03-2004   #3
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

It shouldn't affect them. They bettered their defense, and added some depth on offense. I'm sure Dungy knows what to do on defense. Plus, they have a good OC over there in Moore. They still have Manning, E James, Harrison, Pollard. A good team, and they just added onto it with the draft.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

well that is for this year...but they also have to find away to re-sign marvin harrison and e-james this offseason...it just seems to me that they would have been better off picking players at positions that they didn't have that much depth at...safety and tight end have to be some of their deepest positions
Old 05-03-2004   #5
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

Well maybe they have much bigger plans that you don't know of. Maybe there focusing on a year at a time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go to the Super Bowl this year as long as they stay healthy.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

The Colts had, argubly, the least productive draft in the entire NFL. But keyfro made a good point, they have to resign their Franchise's favorite WR and one of the best in the business in Harrison.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #7
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default No way

The Colts did nothing to improve their team. It was the defense that let them down for the last few years, and again they drafted no one of significance to aid the team. THis is great news for us, but for them Dungy needs to make some key trades to free up money and get a defense that can help Manning and Harrison out!
Old 05-04-2004   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

the colts didnt draft anyone to put them over the top. they lost some players and they drafted some so its basically a wash.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was a horrible draft. Now they have 2 safetys that are 5'10 or smaller. I just cant believe some of the players they passed on. Some good talent.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Dungy is all about speed. People questioned his drafting of Freeney, and we have all seen what he can do. I think the Colts draft differently than most teams because they have different needs on defense.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #11
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

I think the Colts did an excellent job drafting to help the Texans catch and replace them as the top team in the division within the next 3 years. Keep up the great work Dungy.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #12
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Dungy is all about speed. People questioned his drafting of Freeney, and we have all seen what he can do. I think the Colts draft differently than most teams because they have different needs on defense.
Different needs? like what? Smallish DB's? You better have one damn good defense to start drafting little safetys. And the last time I looked, people were destroying that D.
Old 05-04-2004   #13
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I give them 10 wins at most, and that's awfully generous. This would be due to the defense of course. The Colts defense wasn't strong last year and will be even worse this coming season IMO. They're going to open their season with a loss against the Pats. I think it'll be a blow out.
Old 05-04-2004   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

That sounds more like wishful thinking than reality. I still think the Colts are the best in our division right now.
Old 05-04-2004   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

BTW S Doss was very productive last year for the Colts. He definitely contributed more than Joppru did for us.
Old 05-04-2004   #16
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
BTW S Doss was very productive last year for the Colts. He definitely contributed more than Joppru did for us.
And that makes it ok? Because he was more productive than an injured player?

Besides, thats not the point. The point is that they have 2 very small Safetys. And with the players they lost over the last few months, and how poor their run defense was, makes you wonder why they did what they did.
Old 05-04-2004   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

well let me try and re-emphize the point i was trying to make...their run defense was horrible last year...besides freeney who is another solid starter on their DL?...monte reagor?...i'm a huge tech fan as ya'll know but he's not a quality starter...they lost marcus washington who was a great linebacker and who did they replace him with?...no one...the point is they didn't draft the positions they needed the most help at...which is great for us...cause in three years when they are getting hit hard with the cap problems of harrison, manning, and james we'll probably be able to pick up quality players from their team
Old 05-04-2004   #18
clandestin
Veteran

Here's a video of the Colts' top pick, Sanders: http://homepage.mac.com/scothawk/iMovieTheater47.html

My first impression was pretty good, but when I watched it the second time around I have more doubts about how his game will translate to the NFL. If you notice throughout the video he doesn't wrap-up tackle, instead he propels himself headfirst into guys, which makes it a bit hit or miss--something you don't want in a safety. I also noticed that he bounces off guys (even a QB) without bringing them down, this is all the tape I've seen so maybe I'm wrong, but I think in a Andre Johnson (6-2 220) v. Bob Sanders (5-8 200) collision in the middle of the field that Andre may get the best of it.

Last edited by clandestin; 05-04-2004 at 08:04 PM.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Who is their replacement for Marcus Washington (I think it was him that went to the Skins)?

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #20
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

I`m not a Colts Fan but I think Bob Sanders will do good!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read