Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2005   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible GMs for Next Year.

There are a number of people who want Casserly out. I can see the arguments pro and con, and am not sold on the replacement thing until I know of the better replacement.

Just perusing the board, I've seen Ron Wolf mentioned and JJ as a coach/GM or just a GM. A pretty implausible and short list.

I am serious. Who are good candidates that would be out there and available? I am not trying to bait any arguments, or start yet another Casserly must go thread, or get a lot of joke answers, I just would like to know.

TIA.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Do appreciate the platform to have an earnest discussion on Cass' future and a possible replacement.

I think it would help for everyone to look at who falls under Cass' in the org chart under Football Operations.

http://houstontexans.com/team/front_office.php

Not sure how many people have come and gone the last three years in this org. If there have been no significant changes, you can expect Cass back next year after he makes plenty of changes under him to keep his job.

In getting back to thread it will be difficult for anyone on this board to come up with a couple of names as the true hot prospects, that have the experience, have been working behind the scenes for other teams. But to throw some names out that I think warrant a look, based upon their status next year, are Vermeil and Billick.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 11-30-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ron Wolf
Rob Brzezinski
Jimmy Johnson

"Word within the NFL is that the Houston Texans are interested in Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski".

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/13214471.htm

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5738240.html

Credit Vinny and Keith from HPF for the links.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

80-20 that Cass stays.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Ron Wolf
Rob Brzezinski
Jimmy Johnson

"Word within the NFL is that the Houston Texans are interested in Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski".

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/13214471.htm

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5738240.html

Credit Vinny and Keith from HPF for the links.
Oh yeah, Rob Brzezinski. Forgot about that mention. For curiousities sake, I looked him up.

Here is his bio:

Pioli is an interesting name that was found in the Vikings article. Prolly on the implausible list but then there is always the wheelbarrow full of cash approach:

Pioli's situation and background.

Interesting how JJ shows up in all the articles of teams with soon to have coaching vacancies.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Best case scenerio would be Pioli or Wolf IMO. Maybe Pioli might want to come here and be closer to his father in law.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if Mr. McNair completely cleans house. I'm an either way kinda' guy about Casserly's future, as I can so both side of the debate. But I think he'll probably be around to help find a new head coach at the end of the day.

Unless, of course, a Ron Wolf-type GM becomes available between now and then.

And I really hope we don't go the HC/GM route in one man, because history indicates that this is too much responsibility for one person to handle. Each position is beyond a full time job by themselves, and I think it spreads a head coach's time a little too thin.
Old 11-30-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

On the Jimmy Johnson subject I feel like if Casserly stays then Johnson is probably not a possibility. I see him as wanting to come into an organization with HC/GM type powers and I find it hard to imagine him coexisting with Charlie Casserly as his boss.

I think if we see a "Dom Capers Fired" press conference and Charlie Casserly is the guy making the announcement then we're not going to be looking at an earth-shattering hire. It'll be a retread, a guy getting his first head coaching job, or a nice safe "Bobo" like Ladd used to hire. Someone who couldn't possibly be a threat to the GM position. I'm not looking forward to a hire like that. I want to see the words "proven winner" on display when our new head coach is announced. If that means Casserly has to go then I'm ok with that.

Personally I don't have a real need to see Casserly go out the door like a lot of people do. I see why they feel that way and I wouldn't kill me if it happened but I just want to see the players Charlie has assembled in a different system before I say he's a major problem. His mistakes are undeniable and hard to miss but he's made some good moves too. If the talent he's assembled gets run out of town by the next coaching staff then yes, Charlie should go. I'd hate to see him run out of here with Capers and then have someone come in, change what they're doing, and make Casserly look like a genius after we've already kicked him to the curb.

Look at Detroit for instance. Mooch, Morning...whatever, that guy who came before him. No matter who coaches that mess it's still a mess as long as Matt Millen is drafting and making decisions. That's a case of the GM stinking and it's been clearly proven to be true. I don't want to be bad as long as Detroit has been bad but I'd like to see a new coach come in and try and conjure up some signs of life. If he can then maybe some of Casserly's press was true.
Old 11-30-2005   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Look at Detroit for instance. Mooch, Morning...whatever, that guy who came before him. No matter who coaches that mess it's still a mess as long as Matt Millen is drafting and making decisions. That's a case of the GM stinking and it's been clearly proven to be true. I don't want to be bad as long as Detroit has been bad but I'd like to see a new coach come in and try and conjure up some signs of life. If he can then maybe some of Casserly's press was true.
I will go off topic a bit, but the problem in Detroit has got to be deeper than Millen. They have won one playoff game since the 1957.

I am Cass neutral as well as I am more concerened about the front line management of the team.
Old 11-30-2005   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Brzezinski is more of a cap guy and not as much of a "football" guy (personnel). I've heard the Vikes are trying to retain him and bring in a GM type.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #11
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Ohhhhhh, this one is too good to pass up.

Scott Pioli, NE Patriots, Director of Personnel – Probably the hottest candidate for any GM spot anywhere. If I am not mistaken, he has just signed a 5 year deal with the Pats so we would be lucky to get him.

Rick Smith, Denver Bronco, Director of Pro Personnel – sixth season in charge of personnel, years in which Denver has been very active in the FA market. May be a little young yet for the GM position, but look at what happened in Boston to the Red Sox. Young = Aggressive = Dramatic changes and that is what I want! Also, it would be a combo move since I like Kubiac for head coach next year.

Mark Dominik, Tampa Bay Bucs, Director of Pro Personnel – Been with the Bucs for 11 years and has worked his way up the ladder. Same make up as Rick Smith. I passed over his boss, Mark Arteaga, Director of Football Operations, who would also make a good candidate, just a little older and was brought over from the Raiders at the same time as Gruden.

Jimmy Johnson, TV Analyst – Yep, there it is. The wish candidate! You may be wondering “Why not JJ for coach?”. It’s just a gut feeling on my part but JJ has gotten soft in the booth. And, given all the fun he had coaching the Miami Dolphins, I think JJ has left coaching behind and is happier for it. What can I say is, JJ has the best football mind I know of and is the best evaluator of talent ever! It would take allot to get JJ out of the booth (and off the boat), but JJ might be looking for a challenge.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #12
cadahnic
All Pro

Smith, Johnson, and M(something from Baltimore) would all be great guys. I like your thought on Rick Smith coming over with Kubiak and Dennison.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

I think any slightly above-average fantasy football general manager would be an improvement over Casserly.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read