Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-30-2005   #21
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Didn't Pitts let up a sack, because Ogden didn't.
i dont think he did. maybe 1 in the last two games. ogden's has had some very bad games against freeney in the past. and he sure looked bad the last game even if he didnt give up a sack.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #22
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Freeney got one sack on Pitts in two games, and Ogden did not look very good in their game against the Colts even though Freeney did not get a sack. I'm not saying Pitts is better than Ogden because Ogden is one of the premier LT in the last few decades, but Pitts has done an excellent job at LT this year.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #23
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is funny to see so many of the same fans that explained why Pitts was moved to LG now jumping on the Pitts LT bandwagon. The move was questioned by alot of fans on this bb only to be explained away by the "more knowledgeable" fans. The worst thing this team ever did besides trading away multiple draft picks was shuffling the OL after a solid performing season in 2003 and installing the zone blocking scheme. Don't fix it if it aint broke.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #24
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Actually, I still think leaving Wando at LT and Pitts at LG would have done the trick. They are both gifted athletes, but I think Wand has more movement and youth on his side. Moving Wand was the first of many bad decisions made by Pendry. I also still think that we have a bigger need of keeping pressure out of the middle (draft a Center) and need a better run blocker. (What can we do to get Lorenzo Neil/Neal (sp?) from San Diego?) Pitts is decent, but he is no long-term fix.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I am being a little more cautious @ declaring Pitts as the long term answer, but the early results look like he is at least solid. I don't want the Texans to blindly reach for an OLman either, but until I see the staff that comes into play I not making a final judgement as to what I do really do in the draft.
I am cautious as well. My current thought is he might be a fantastic RT eventually. IMO we have to see how he performs with an OL that isn't trying to run a kindergarden offense. He is certainly the best LT on the team right now and has helped tremendously this season, but still don't know his upside as a full-time, full offense LT.

bckey -- I don't recall many, if any, fans bemoaning Pitts being moved from LT after 2003. My recollection is at least half the MB still wanted to draft a LT because Pitts was "just serviceable" and needed to be upgraded with Jordan Gross, a sure thing franchise LT. Don't remember anyone describing him as a potential top half of the league LT at that point. I am a big Pitts fan, but it is funny IMO how people are instantly seeing him as the solution for the future at this point.
Old 11-30-2005   #26
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

That's it exactly. Our big offseason question is do we go for Bush, or do we turn him into a waterfall of draft picks? That's a hard decision.
Old 11-30-2005   #27
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I am a big Pitts fan, but it is funny IMO how people are instantly seeing him as the solution for the future at this point.
I feel the same way.
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2005   #28
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
That's it exactly. Our big offseason question is do we go for Bush, or do we turn him into a waterfall of draft picks? That's a hard decision.
Not really. We need more picks. More picks would allow us to pick bpa instead of need.
Old 11-30-2005   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I am cautious as well. My current thought is he might be a fantastic RT eventually. IMO we have to see how he performs with an OL that isn't trying to run a kindergarden offense. He is certainly the best LT on the team right now and has helped tremendously this season, but still don't know his upside as a full-time, full offense LT.

bckey -- I don't recall many, if any, fans bemoaning Pitts being moved from LT after 2003. My recollection is at least half the MB still wanted to draft a LT because Pitts was "just serviceable" and needed to be upgraded with Jordan Gross, a sure thing franchise LT. Don't remember anyone describing him as a potential top half of the league LT at that point. I am a big Pitts fan, but it is funny IMO how people are instantly seeing him as the solution for the future at this point.
I'm glad to hear you think Pitts could be our RT of the future & that he is our best option right now as LT. I also like the idea of open competition before awarding players starting positions even 1st rd draft picks or high cost FA's.

AS far as Pitts in 2003 I think alot of fans including myself where new to the process and what it takes to develop an expansion team with raw NFL talent. Yes he was getting beat alot but as some like Vinny pointed out it was part of the learning curve, that most rookie LT's struggle for a couple years before they figure things out (with few exceptions like Pace, Ogdon, Jones). The main problem to me at the time was the holding and false start penaltys, now we know it was because he did not yet understand the proper technique (not keeping his arms inside controlling the tackle/end). After four years of anaylsis we all have a better understanding of the process & learning curve his performance is far more acceptable, hindsight would suggest that more patience should have been exercised.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Not really. We need more picks. More picks would allow us to pick bpa instead of need.
IMO, Bush is the BPA. He is not a "need," since we have a solid running back. I agree with you, though, that we have a lot of needs on this team (TE, O-line, LB, CB, Safety), and filling those voids must be a priority for the incoming coaching staff. IMHO though, while I would rather we fill voids, I could find no fault with the coaching staff drafting Bush. The guy is that good.
Old 11-30-2005   #31
SESupergenius

My problem with Pitts, and most of the oline is that although it seems that Pitts has progressed well, our offense is still terrible. We're being forced to quick routes and dump passes so I can not tell how well they are doing. I will admit that Pitts is doing better this year and I suscribe to the notion that it takes time for a LT to develop, but how can we tell? Until this offense is opened up and every player is a weapon there is no way to gauge how well our offensive line is doing. I wouldn't mind Pitts being a RT either, but then again it will take time for him to develop there as well. Our team seems to be on a short lease right now and fans are pretty impatient. If we gut the coaching staff then we are back to square one and who knows where Pitts will end up.
Old 11-30-2005   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
AS far as Pitts in 2003 I think alot of fans including myself where new to the process and what it takes to develop an expansion team with raw NFL talent. Yes he was getting beat alot but as some like Vinny pointed out it was part of the learning curve, that most rookie LT's struggle for a couple years before they figure things out (with few exceptions like Pace, Ogdon, Jones).
Too bad Wand wasn't afforded the opportunity to progress through that same learning curve. Then maybe we could pass and run this year. Not next year or the year after. This year.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #33
cred
Rookie

I like the idea of moving C. Pitts to RT and getting a top notch LT with our #1 pick then using our 2nd and one of our third to trade up to get another 1st round LB, TE, or CB. Bush is an outstanding prospect, but that is just it, a prospect. Just because they look good in college dosn't mean superstar in the NFL. Take a LT in the first because top notch LT's don't come around every year.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #34
cadahnic
All Pro

I think the best option would be to leave Pitts at LT for next year or at least most of it while developing Eric Winston at RT. Bush is great and if we trade down between 6-10 and he is still there then we can take him, but if not a good RB can be drafted every draft. Winston could also play anywhere else on the line other than center. The kid is perfect for our team and new coach.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #35
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I think everyone is a big Pitts fan because he doesn't fold like past LTs. Also, Pitts hasn't exactly gone up against powder puff DEs either. Freeney twice, I think he went up against little, who when he isn't shooting people, a very solid DE. Um...can't think of anyone else off the top of my head though but he has played against good DEs.
Wistrom isn't a slouch for Seattle and Pitts faced Jared Allen versus KC. Allen has 8 sacks on the season, I believe.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #36
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Wistrom isn't a slouch for Seattle and Pitts faced Jared Allen versus KC. Allen has 8 sacks on the season, I believe.

Keep it in perspective. Seattle was Pitts' first game back at LT and therefore he was given a lot of help from Breuner. There were a few plays when Breuner stoned Wistrom himself and Pitts never laid a hand on him.

I admit this double teaming against Seattle wasn't Pitts' choice, and he was actually embarrassed by the amount of help he was getting. As posted on other threads in more detail, he also had significant inside help on Freeney allowing him to "cheat" on Freeney's outside speed rush.

Yes he did a good job with help; no he didn't do a great one-on-one job.
Old 11-30-2005   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I thought Pitts took on Freeney mostly by himself. At least that's what I thought other people on this board said.
That is what it looks like watching the game, and on outside moves it was true. However, Pitts was able to overplay that outside move which gave him enough of an advantage to control Freeney. (This outside control was good in itself).

The reason that that Pitts was able to over commit to the outside was that Brown double teamed Freeney on all inside rushes and on all of Freeney's spin moves.

So on tape it looks as if Brown only double teamed a few times. However, his availability to double team the inside move affected every outside rush by Freeney.

It was a nice scheme actually; I wonder what led our coaches to finally do that this year and why they never did it with Wand and Pitts last year.
Old 11-30-2005   #38
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
It was a nice scheme actually; I wonder what led our coaches to finally do that this year and why they never did it with Wand and Pitts last year.
You have to wonder with our coaches??? Man, they are the villiage mental midgets.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #39
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

after all the dissin' he recieved, Pitts seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.

Bur then he ate it.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #40
cred
Rookie

villiage mental midgets.

off the subject, I know, but that saying was too funny.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read