Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2005   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Current left tackles in the NFL

Just for kicks, I decided to go take a look at what other teams do for their left tackle position. As I suspected, they pretty much draft 1st-round left tackles. It seems to take a few years to develop one once you've drafted them, but most of the current LT in the league were top-20 picks (17 of them). Seven more were drafted as guards and not in the 1st round. That leaves 8 left tackles that were drafted lower than the 1st round, and you won't find many marquee players in those ranks.

ARI, Leonard Davis, taken 1.2
ATL, Kevin SHaffer, taken 7.34
BAL, Jonathan Ogden, taken 1.4
BUF, Mike Gandy, taken 3.6 as a guard
CAR, Jordan Gross, taken 1.8
CHI, John Tait, taken 1.14
CIN, Levi Jones, taken 1.10
CLE, LJ Shelton, taken 1.21
DAL, Torrin Tucker, couldn't find, but I think he's subbing for Flozell Adams? Adams was taken 2.8
DEN, Matt Lepsis, couldn't find, pretty sure he was a guard
DET, Jeff Backus, taken 1.18
GB, Chad Clifton, taken 2.13
HOU, Pitts (finally), taken 2.18 as a guard
IND, Tarik Glenn, taken 1.19
JAX, Khalif Barnes, taken 2.20
KC, Willie Roaf, taken 1.8
MIA, Damion McIntosh, taken 3.21
MIN, Bryant McKinnie, taken 1.7
NE, Nick Kaczur, 3.36 as Guard, but backing up injured Matt Light (2.17)
NO, Wayne Gandy, taken 1.15
NYJ, Adrian Jones, taken 4.36
NYG, Luke Petitgout, taken 1.19
OAK, Barry Sims, couldn't find, but team is grooming Gallery, taken 1.2
PHI, Tra Thomas, taken 1.11
PIT, Marvel Smith, taken 2.7
SD, Roman Oben, taken 3.5 as a guard
SEA, Walter Jones, taken 1.6
SF, Adam Snyder, taken 3.30, team also has Kwame Harris, not sure what they're doing, but Harris was taken at 1.26
STL, Orlando Pace, taken 1.1
TEN, Brad Hopkins, taken 1.13
TB, Anthony Davis, couldn't find
WAS, Chris Samuels, taken 1.3

Gambling on getting our future LT in the 2nd or lower round doesn't seem like a great idea unless we have a line coach like Houck or Gibbs, which we don't. A couple of those late-rounders you see were coached by those two.

So the big question is -- Can Pitts take over the LT spot for years to come?
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts holds up to Freeney much better than Marvel Smith did last night (and Smith was a pro bowler last year). Smith was totally outclassed on several snaps. I think Pitts can handle the job long term myself...but would like to see us draft a top LT if we can get the right trade down package. We have to get better in the line instead of this current patchwork of guys who has proven to be less than stellar.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yes leave pitts there and let him develop at the LT position because there is no one else we can get that will play as good as him at that position
Old 11-29-2005   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Pitts holds up to Freeney much better than Marvel Smith did last night (and Smith was a pro bowler last year). Smith was totally outclassed on several snaps. I think Pitts can handle the job long term myself...but would like to see us draft a top LT if we can get the right trade down package. We have to get better in the line instead of this current patchwork of guys who has proven to be less than stellar.
That's pretty much my take on it as well, though I would definitely rather the team draft a LT in round 1 this year. That way they can keep Pitts at LT for a year or two to develop the rookie at RT and if Pitts just dominates, then you keep the new guy at RT and you have solid bookends for years to come. The right tackle position has been a real sore spot for me this year. Wade seems to do a pretty good job run blocking, but his pass protection is weak. With him out, we get a big dose of Riley, who was easily the worst linemen out there against StL this week.
Old 11-29-2005   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I'd like to see us keep Pitts at LT. He has shown that he can handle the possition against the NFL's best. By doing this it opens up our draft possibilities. If we get a top 3 pick we can snag Reggie Bush or trade down and get a stud LB or a #2 WR.

Trading down into the middle of the first round would most likley give us an extra second and third to work with. If this senario plays out correctly then we can trade right back up into the 1st round and take the best player available and still have a #2 and #3 in our pocket.

If Reggie Bush is as great as people are speculating then I think we should select him with our first pick and then use our extra third round pick and our second round pick to move up to the middle of the first round and select either a CB, LB, FS or WR. With all of our needs on both sides of the ball trading down from the top spot sounds logical but passing on a talent like Bush could end up being a HUGE mistake. Either way, atleast I'm excited about my Texans again.
Old 11-29-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
If we get a top 3 pick we can snag Reggie Bush or trade down and get a stud LB or a #2 WR.
It could change, but right now the buzz is primarily about Bush and Leniert, therefor a teams has got to finish #1 or #2 to be in a strong position to expect other teams to offer them multiple picks to move up and take one
of the USC guys. Trouble is, I don't think we'll be one of the top 2 (or bottom 2, depending on how you look at it). Too many other teams "competing" for the top 2 spots have stronger remaining opponents
and/or weaker SOS, factors that work against our chances to end up with
a worse record or win tiebreakers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
The right tackle position has been a real sore spot for me this year. Wade seems to do a pretty good job run blocking, but his pass protection is weak. With him out, we get a big dose of Riley, who was easily the worst linemen out there against StL this week.
With a new coach next year we won't have to worry about Riley. Pendry has a better player available on the bench, but he's been in the doghouse all season. Pendry is too stubborn and/or petty to admit Riley was a HUGE mistake and play Wand.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2005   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
DEN, Matt Lepsis, couldn't find, pretty sure he was a guard
SF, Adam Snyder, taken 3.30, team also has Kwame Harris, not sure what they're doing, but Harris was taken at 1.26
TB, Anthony Davis, couldn't find
Lepsis (from Conroe by the way) and Davis were undrafted free agents. Harris was supposed to have been the starting LT but has been a disappointment. At least so far, 2003 was a banner year for RT's rather than franchise LT's--Jordan Gross, George Foster and Kwame Harris, the 3 1st round tackles are all at RT now.
Old 11-29-2005   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

You blow a lead to a sub par team like St. Louise you are bad enough to lose to Arizona and San Fran. Those are the two games we could win.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #10
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

dont bother looking for a LT. pitts is the guy...and there are so many other holes to plug in this team, such as a dominant middle linebacker, a RB with breakaway speed, a good 2nd reciever to take pressure off of AJ, safties, perhaps another cover corner...
Old 11-29-2005   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Lepsis (from Conroe by the way) and Davis were undrafted free agents. Harris was supposed to have been the starting LT but has been a disappointment. At least so far, 2003 was a banner year for RT's rather than franchise LT's--Jordan Gross, George Foster and Kwame Harris, the 3 1st round tackles are all at RT now.
Thanks for the clarification! I am not a line guru by any means, so I was very unclear on a few of these.

As stated above, I really want Pitts to succeed at LT. Even if that is the case, however, I still think we need to draft tackle in the first round. We still need a RT, probably a RG (Wiegert is perpetually injured), and *maybe* a C. I would like to see Hodgdon succeed at Center, but drafting a Guard/Center this season would not be a bad idea in the middle rounds. Weary and Brown should be easily upgraded, IMO. Riley should be gone and Wade should have to compete for the RT spot next season.

Oh well, that's my perfect world, I suppose.
Old 11-29-2005   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

It is strange that you posted this because I did the same research and was going to post it.
Old 11-29-2005   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
FYI Marvel Smith is coming off an injury and subsequently went out of the game due to that injury. Suffice it to say he was not 100% last night.
Old 11-29-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
FYI Marvel Smith is coming off an injury and subsequently went out of the game due to that injury. Suffice it to say he was not 100% last night.
I'm sure being pounded into the turf on several Freeney bullrushes didn't help his injuries out much.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #15
The Preacher
Veteran

Indeed the Texans have found a secure player at LT it seems. With another solid lineman in the draft and maybe FA things can happen. That's parody and means the Texans can turn around in a hurry. The loss the other day was excruciating but a couple of things are starting to go in our favor. It's a small silver lining but hopefully this year is rock bottom. If not
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Too many other teams "competing" for the top 2 spots have stronger remaining opponents
and/or weaker SOS, factors that work against our chances to end up with
a worse record or win tiebreakers.
You know, it really pisses me off that they made our schedule so easy this year!!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #17
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
pitts has also played freeney better than jonathan ogdan another probowl left tackle.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I did this a month or so ago on HPF.com and may have also posted here ...The guys listed with no info were not drafted.

Yeah...LT is the most top heavy position in the draft. I am being a little more cautious @ declaring Pitts as the long term answer, but the early results look like he is at least solid. I don't want the Texans to blindly reach for an OLman either, but until I see the staff that comes into play I not making a final judgement as to what I do really do in the draft.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #19
SESupergenius

Quote:
I'm sure being pounded into the turf on several Freeney bullrushes didn't help his injuries out much.
i think i'd blame my injuries too after that maulimg
Old 11-30-2005   #20
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
pitts has also played freeney better than jonathan ogdan another probowl left tackle.
Didn't Pitts let up a sack, because Ogden didn't.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read