Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-28-2005   #1
grandslam1
Veteran

Default Ricky Williams

if he'd be available , would you think he could help us along with D'Brick?
grandslam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #2
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam1
if he'd be available , would you think he could help us along with D'Brick?
Dont want cancer on this team, he can go smoke pot somewhere else.
Old 11-28-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

No.. I think we are set with Davis and Wells. And Morency to work with.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #4
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
Dont want cancer on this team, he can go smoke pot somewhere else.

Hilarious how anyone can call him a cancer. Quitter? Sure. Cancer? Laughable. He's not complaining about playtime. He's not in Ronnie Brown's face. He's not going to the media with anything negative. He's not a distraction at all. He let his teammates down last year and he's contributing in big ways this year on the field and off. He's pushing Ronnie Brown to be better. He's rushing very well, 4.3 YPC (if you take away his first two weeks that it took to shake off the rust) with two scores.

People make mistakes. Get over it.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I actually like Ricky and wouldn't mind him being on the team. The guy is a great player and extremely talented. He made a mistake and needed some time to think about his life, but he is back now and from what I've heard, is one of the hardest working players on the team. If anything they aren't using him enough.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #6
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 75780 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

We already have a pot smoking GM and Head Coach. It's time to send the bong party somewhere else.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That avatar is hilarious.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2005   #8
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Hilarious how anyone can call him a cancer. Quitter? Sure. Cancer? Laughable. He's not complaining about playtime. He's not in Ronnie Brown's face. He's not going to the media with anything negative. He's not a distraction at all. He let his teammates down last year and he's contributing in big ways this year on the field and off. He's pushing Ronnie Brown to be better. He's rushing very well, 4.3 YPC (if you take away his first two weeks that it took to shake off the rust) with two scores.

People make mistakes. Get over it.
NO, you get over it. The guy is playing for one reason and one reason only: MONEY!!! He would have owed the Dolphins like $7 Million or something like that. I would come back if i owed that much too. Once he is done owing them, hes gone. Mark my words on that one. I dont want any quiters on the Texans. And that makes him a Cancer in my book.
Old 11-29-2005   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 211769 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans picked up Ricky Williams via trade before the draft and then picked their franchise LT in the first round then it would take one or two series to win over the people who think adding him would be a mistake. One 40+ yard touchdown run and the cheers would drown out the complaints.

I'd take Ricky Williams in a heartbeat. The guy may be playing only to pay back the money but Ricky Williams playing to wipe out his debt is about twice the back that Domanick Davis ever will be and can almost single handedly turn a team around.
Old 11-29-2005   #10
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
NO, you get over it. The guy is playing for one reason and one reason only: MONEY!!! He would have owed the Dolphins like $7 Million or something like that. I would come back if i owed that much too. Once he is done owing them, hes gone. Mark my words on that one. I dont want any quiters on the Texans. And that makes him a Cancer in my book.
It must suck totally that someone who to you, is only playing for money, is outperforming our starter. Same amount of touchdowns on 100 less carries. A half yard better per carry. Not to mention he's coming off an 18 month offseason. My oh my, that guy has no heart.

I envy you though, UHC, you've never made a mistake in your life. I must say you are probably one of a kind in my book.
Old 11-29-2005   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The problem is not Ricky's drive or his ability to play. IMO, it's his smoking. He has already been on the four-game suspension. The next time he is busted, he is out for a year. I like Ricky, and I think he is an awesome running back, but I think he is too much of a liability to any team for that reason.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 203569 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't get all this fascination with going out to get a new running back. DD may be our second-best offensive player and he never gets any respect. Sure, he's not Tomlinson, but few backs ever are. You can't hit home runs at every position and Super Bowls have been won with lesser backs than Davis. IMO, Davis would be even more effective than he currently is if the line run blocked a little better (they do well some Sundays and others .... ehhh) and if the team mixed in Wells or Morency more frequently. I see Davis as a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of back. And that's pretty good.

There are about nine other positions that need to be addressed on offense before we get to RB.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #13
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
The problem is not Ricky's drive or his ability to play. IMO, it's his smoking. He has already been on the four-game suspension. The next time he is busted, he is out for a year. I like Ricky, and I think he is an awesome running back, but I think he is too much of a liability to any team for that reason.

And for that reason(which he is tested for, I believe twice a week during the season) he will probably come cheap to whoever wants him.
Old 11-29-2005   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The question I have is what would we be giving up for him and, even though he would apparently be an improvement, shouldn't we be looking to improve at other positions?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #15
abbest
Veteran

Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'd take Ricky Williams in a heartbeat. The guy may be playing only to pay back the money but Ricky Williams playing to wipe out his debt is about twice the back that Domanick Davis ever will be and can almost single handedly turn a team around.
Ricky definately turned the Dolphins around in '04.

You could wait a long time for that 40 yard run. Ricky has 3 of them for his career and sports a whopping 4.0 ypc average (same as Davis) over 6 seasons. Williams is not a breakaway runner, and he's not a workhorse anymore since dropping 20 lbs. The myth that Ricky Williams is a special back is just that. And once you consider that the guy is one puff from a year's suspension, why bring him in?
Old 11-29-2005   #17
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Ricky definately turned the Dolphins around in '04.

You could wait a long time for that 40 yard run. Ricky has 3 of them for his career and sports a whopping 4.0 ypc average (same as Davis) over 6 seasons. Williams is not a breakaway runner, and he's not a workhorse anymore since dropping 20 lbs. The myth that Ricky Williams is a special back is just that. And once you consider that the guy is one puff from a year's suspension, why bring him in?

Kinda funny that Ricky has more 20 yard carries this year than Davis does, eh?
Old 11-29-2005   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
If the Texans picked up Ricky Williams via trade before the draft and then picked their franchise LT in the first round then it would take one or two series to win over the people who think adding him would be a mistake. One 40+ yard touchdown run and the cheers would drown out the complaints.

Maybe two years ago but not anymore. Ricky doesn't have the speed he once did (which wasn't stellar even then) and has lost a lot of his power. I would take Domanick over the current Ricky Williams any day.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I don't get all this fascination with going out to get a new running back. DD may be our second-best offensive player and he never gets any respect. Sure, he's not Tomlinson, but few backs ever are. You can't hit home runs at every position and Super Bowls have been won with lesser backs than Davis. IMO, Davis would be even more effective than he currently is if the line run blocked a little better (they do well some Sundays and others .... ehhh) and if the team mixed in Wells or Morency more frequently. I see Davis as a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of back. And that's pretty good.

There are about nine other positions that need to be addressed on offense before we get to RB.
Dunn is a very small, very quick and fast RB, Westbrook is similar as a good receiver and all, maybe a little faster but much less of a power runner than Domanick. I honestly see Davis as an Emmitt Smith-type back without the stellar OL blocking for him, a respectable passing game/play calling to take pressure off him, and a defense that can get off the field and give him the ball back.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Ricky doesn't come across as the kind of guy that's playing professional football because he wants to.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read