Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-28-2005   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Future Options; bush myths put to rest

It seems that every year there is a "hot" prospect that everyone wants to get: ST, DJ...me too, Bush...

but there will always be one every year.

Bush is a phenominal athlete and all around football player, but ask yourself, when was the last time there was a "hot" linemen prospect? Gallery?
Elite linemen seem to come every three years on the average, while elite RB's seem to come 1-2 a year.
This years LT's: D'brick, Winston
This years RB's: Bush, D. Williams

who is there next year you might ask?
LT's: Joe Thomas if he stays in school
RB's: Adrian Peterson...one of two people i am deciding between for next years draft, Lendale White, RB from UT.

There will always be a top tier RB or three each year, but to find an elite LT is rare. Alex Barron was the best last year, and would probally be a second round draft pick this year. Ced. Benson, R. Brown, and Cadillac are all just as good as bush. Bush is very versitle and provides a different dimension with his ability to play WR you will argue. You will argue that DD is not an every down back, but then ask yourself, how many carries are you expecting bush to recieve? It will be argued that he will recieve touches at WR.
We currently have 4 RB's on the roster: DD, Wells, Morency, Hollings.
You say hollings is gone this year, ok that leaves you with:
DD- long term contract that will have little trade value, Wells- a solid back up, also used for short yardage, and Morency- a third round draft pick from last year who will not be cut or traded.
I'm going to assume that the next option for bush supporters would be to drop wells and hollingsand leave DD as a back up. Well, DD is not a big bruiser, short yardage back, and bush is even further from one. Wells must stay.

"We can play DD at WR while bush is at RB"
That is ignorant and blind love. DD is a generous 5'9 with minimal breakaway speed. He is not a WR.

"Bush will get his chance at WR because he has the ability"
We currently have at least 5 WR's on our roster who would make other teams rosters.

"Bush will be our deep threat and force teams not to double AJ"
We have mathis to do this. Mathis is faster and has better hands downfield.

"Bush can be our slot guy then"
IF we were to draft him, the last place i would want him would be the middle of the field.

"Servicable OL will be available in the second round."
What have we done with our second round picks? Guys might slide some, but not as much as you would like to believe. There are two, and only two elite LT prospects this year: Winston and D'brick. The rest are second and third tier OL guys, and have a better than average chance to be a bench guy.

"We should take the best playmaker available"
In most cases yes, but we have obvious needs that need to be filled before we worry about another playmaker. The way I see it is this: we have aj, carr, DD, and mathis. that equals 1 qb, one rb, and 2 wr, 1 kr.

"A team like ours needs play makers, not linemen."
We have enough offensive playmakers to be a playoff team. Dont waste 1st round picks like detroit. Who are the best teams around the league? Steelers, Seahawks, Bears, Colts. All of the teams forementioned have an average number of playmakes except for the colts who never were able to be sucessful, even with their abdundence of playmakers, until they built a defense and a solid OL. The most sucessful teams have maybe one or two superstars on their teams, and a great OL in common.

i will post more later. i know this is quite a read, but hopefully i've made my point and turned some heads. let me know what you think because this took some time to write.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I know what you are saying, but I disagree on your value of some of the lineman from last year.

Brown not Barron was the first lineman taken and honestly the better tackle.
Last year Brown went in the middle of the first round(13) while Barron went 19. if they were in this year's draft I am pretty confident they would not be in those spots. Brown likely would be a mid 2nd rounder at best. I am pretty confident that barron would slip all the way to the third round.

You said it, you cannot get a stud LT every year.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, brown is better this year, but barron will soon be better. He would still not crack the first this year, either of them.

Every year there is at least one new, cant miss RB that everyone "needs"

Every three years there is a LT that teams "want"

I want the top LT this year, whoever grades out higher.

My options for 2007 first round pick: Adrian Peterson, Greg Olsen

my perfect solution:
trade down this year, aquiring a first next year. Draft Winston this year. Next year, draft Peterson and Olsen with our two first round picks.
Old 11-28-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
my perfect solution:
trade down this year, aquiring a first next year. Draft Winston this year. Next year, draft Peterson and Olsen with our two first round picks.
yes, yes, yes
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #5
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

finally, somebody has seen the light...
Quote:
Yes, brown is better this year, but barron will soon be better. He would still not crack the first this year, either of them.

Every year there is at least one new, cant miss RB that everyone "needs"

Every three years there is a LT that teams "want"

I want the top LT this year, whoever grades out higher.

My options for 2007 first round pick: Adrian Peterson, Greg Olsen

my perfect solution:
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #6
cadahnic
All Pro

Ok YTF you and me usually see eye to eye on draft prospects, but maybe you are overgrading Adrian Peterson. Personally I like Peterson, but is he really that much better than say Chris Brown. Yeah he may be faster, but they are very similar style runners. I think LenDale White is the steal RB next year. He reminds me alot of Ronnie Brown. White will be a stud in the NFL barring injury. So if for some reason we go RB next year instead of stud DE. Then we should take White.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

my hope for this years draft:
trade down, aquire a next years first, and a this years third
LT-Winston around #7
DE-Dumervile or Tapp
OG-Luiti
FS-Slay
TE-guy from colorado who's name i cant spell

that covers the first day.

Next year
Peterson
Olsen

that covers round one.

I like adrian peterson because he showed that if given adequate talent around him, he can be an elite back, and an every down back. He showed me this year, that he does not need a 7 year qb and a great o line. He has one top o line member this year and is still producing.

Lendale white will be great, a better pro than bush i feel, but peterson is going to be better. Bigger, faster, better vision, and he will have more experience behind less of a line.

Olsen is the next Shocky and probally better. I know i want us to take kolse...you fill in the rest, but olsen is the best TE in a while, the other guy is just to shut up the impatient members of our disgruntled community.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2005   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

While Adrian Peterson is a very talented and big RB, people keep complaining that Domanick Davis doesn't have breakaway speed but Peterson does not either. He is barely faster straight-line speed than Davis but I don't think he is as quick. Am I necessarily saying Davis is better than Peterson will be? No, but the main knock I hear on this board about Davis is that he is not super fast but Peterson is not either. I personally like our current RB situation and do not see us drafting Bush this year unless we use him primarily as a WR and 3rd down RB or Peterson next year.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #9
cadahnic
All Pro

I agree on Olsen and hope he comes out this year to be honest we could likely snatch him in the second I think he is a junior or 3rd year sophmore. Either way he is solid. Peterson and White will be the top RBs next year to go along with Quinn and VY. I doubt we will be looking at either of them honestly unless one falls to us then hell why not. Olsen is a guy that will likely go in the top10 when he comes out.

Is Slay really a FS or a SS. You did not list a LB or CB which are huge needs for us.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
I agree on Olsen and hope he comes out this year to be honest we could likely snatch him in the second I think he is a junior or 3rd year sophmore. Either way he is solid. Peterson and White will be the top RBs next year to go along with Quinn and VY. I doubt we will be looking at either of them honestly unless one falls to us then hell why not. Olsen is a guy that will likely go in the top10 when he comes out.

Is Slay really a FS or a SS. You did not list a LB or CB which are huge needs for us.

there are no CB's worthy of our picks when we would pick. no one in this draft at CB is an upgrade over Buchanon, even the guy from Vtech.

LB's: I would love to substitute Ahmad brooks for our second round pick, he has a chance to fall if he declares. LB's tend to drop further than projected and there is a small cluster of them this year: hawk, brooks, hodge, howard, greenway, ryans, and a few others. not all of these will be first round picks. Brooks and ryans will be steals for where they are currently projected to go. Hawk will be solid value for his spot. the rest i feel are bust waiting to happen, with the exception to howard who is hit or miss for me still.
Old 11-28-2005   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

I dont really care what position slay is classified under, he is a ball-hawking safty in the body of a LB. He is one of few college players at any position to drive through the tackle and finish properly. He diplays leadership ability and uncanny tenacity. He is very good in coverage but is able to crowd the box to stop the run.

NFL comparision for me: a mix between Thomas Davis and Troy Poluemeu *sp*
Old 11-29-2005   #12
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

The guy from Colorado is Joel Klopenstien.
Old 11-29-2005   #13
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

[quote=YoungTexanFan]

"hot" linemen prospect? Gallery?
Elite linemen seem to come every three years on the average, while elite RB's seem to come 1-2 a year.

Gallery was last year not three years ago Ferguson can be good along with Winston but i dont see them as being Elite. not if youve seen any of there Games they havent been the Dominating Force some people want to make them out be
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

[quote=Napa Auto Parts]
Quote:

"hot" linemen prospect? Gallery?

Gallery was last year not three years ago Ferguson can be good along with Winston but i dont see them as being Elite. not if youve seen any of there Games they havent been the Dominating Force some people want to make them out be
Gallery was two years ago at least, taken #2 overall. last year was alex barron and jamal brown. nothing special last year.

Ferguson has been showing why he needs to add muscle mass this year but has not lost his top 5 rating. Winston has come back from his injury and is getting better by the week. Wait until combine.
Old 11-29-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be the only person here who wants to see the Texans trade back up into the first round after picking Bush instead of simply trading that top pick down for more picks.

How you feel about spending that first round pick is really determined by what you think is wrong with the Texans. If you are of the opinion that our primary problem is a lack of players/talent then you want to trade it down for more picks. If you think the main problem is with our coaches then you want to draft the best guy you possibly can with the pick we already have.

I personally feel that our problems are mostly coaching/scheme related and that we're closer to being good than we appear to be. Assuming the Texans end up with the top pick in the draft I want to see them take Reggie Bush with that pick, then make an attempt to bundle some combination of Domanick Davis, our 2 and one of our 3's to get back up into the first round to select one of this years outstanding LT prospects. That still leaves us with a 3 to go hunting a TE, FS or whatever we haven't been able to address in free agency.
Old 11-29-2005   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there are no CB's worthy of our picks when we would pick. no one in this draft at CB is an upgrade over Buchanon, even the guy from Vtech.

LB's: I would love to substitute Ahmad brooks for our second round pick, he has a chance to fall if he declares. LB's tend to drop further than projected and there is a small cluster of them this year: hawk, brooks, hodge, howard, greenway, ryans, and a few others. not all of these will be first round picks. Brooks and ryans will be steals for where they are currently projected to go. Hawk will be solid value for his spot. the rest i feel are bust waiting to happen, with the exception to howard who is hit or miss for me still.
Kelly jennings CB from Miami.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I may be the only person here who wants to see the Texans trade back up into the first round after picking Bush instead of simply trading that top pick down for more picks.
this would be a nightmare scenero
something Casserly would do- "Babin can play, really"
for once I would like to see the Texans use (minimum) ALL THEIR PICKS other than trading down from the 1st pick to aquire MORE PICKS. Forgive me if I seem skeptical but the Texans eye for talent via trade or Free Agency has not exactly garner'ed rave reviews. at least with the guys drafted Casserly has done OK, in fact and this is my critical contention is that his draft record would be above average if he had kept those picks instead of trading away (2nd & 3rd in 05) trading up into the 1st rd. (2nd, 3rd & 4th) & suppemental (Hollings 2nd rd.)
Old 11-29-2005   #18
SESupergenius

I personally think Babin will be fine. This is only his 2nd year and he's been injured a bit, but the last few games he's really been playing with fire. I've said it many times, Tweeners in the 3-4 take more time to develop. Some more than others and I think that is where Babin is categorized, but I still think he's a damn good OLB. IMO the coaching staff is bringing him along too fast, hindering his confidence.

Sure can go after Bush, then we would have 4 RB's. Bush, DD (who we just gave a fat contract to), Morency, and either Wells or Hollings. Does that make any sense?

Ok so then we can after a QB. Lienart or Young. Since we have the 1st pick it the consesus is Lienart. ok so by the time we draft we would have already made our decision on Carr. More than likely, especially after last game, we are staying with Carr. So Lienart is out. We should however pick up a QB either in FA or in this draft. Banks has to go.

So what does that leave us? Well that leaves us with what the true problems are with our team, the offensive line and the defensive unit as a whole. I don't think there is a tackle worthy of the number one pick but Lienart is worth that pick but we don't need him, so we trade. Either we trade for players or trade down. One scenario is to trade to Washington our 1st pick and maybe get a LB in Arrington and a couple of later round draft picks. I don't like our corps of ILB especially when Wong is injured and who knows how is rehab will go. We are ranked at the botton of the league in run defense, so we need address that either through the draft or FA. There are a few teams that need a QB (Lions, Ravens) so there will be possibilities in trading down. We can trade down and get a solid Tackle and maybe get some extra picks in either the 2nd or 3rd round. This is where we need a strong GM, and frankly I'm not comfortable in Casserlys ability to get good players in these rounds. Fire Casserly at the end of the season and get a stronger minded GM to guide this ship properly with an understanding of what the 3-4 needs to be successful. That GM should have some background with the 3-4 in order for it to be a success.

As I see it our glaring needs are the Oline, TE, Cornerback, Safties and ILB. with the extra 2nd or 3rd round picks we can start filling these needs with the best player available, since we have so many needs we can afford to take the best player available at these positions.

Call me crazy.
Old 11-29-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
this would be a nightmare scenero
something Casserly would do- "Babin can play, really"
Books not finished on Babin...but trading up for a tweener project is not the same as trading up for a guy who grades high at a position that he currently plays. Trading up is not the problem...trading up for a guy who has to change positions has shown to be far riskier.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Books not finished on Babin...but trading up for a tweener project is not the same as trading up for a guy who grades high at a position that he currently plays. Trading up is not the problem...trading up for a guy who has to change positions has shown to be far riskier.
I hope he is not finished and that he CAN play otherwise its an unbeliveable blunder of epic proportions. the point taken is why incure such risk? and why deplete the depth and talent of a young expansion team when there are so MANY needs?

congratulations on exceeding 6,000 posts, your doing a great job, someday your going to be a General Vinny

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read