Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2005   #1
Tenacious G
Rookie

Default Kubiak as new head coach?

I think it's safe to assume Capers and his staff are gone as soon as the regular season is done. I also would hope Casserly joins that carpool.

Of all the names being tossed around as a possible replacement, does anyone else feel Denver's offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak is the right choice?

He's a local guy (St. Pius HS, Texas A&M) and a proven winner. Although he's been involved in the Denver organization for such a long time, I think he's definitely a top candidate for a head coaching position. I'd have to think the Texans (if he doesn't feel they're beyond salvagable) would be on the top of his list.
Tenacious G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Blood in the water. Looks like the local Kubiak machine is about to rev up. No disrespect TG, I like Kubiak. Just find waves of conversation and their timing interesting.
Old 11-28-2005   #3
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

I would like for this guy to coach here.
Old 11-28-2005   #4
TexanFanInDenver
Rookie

He would be a great coach here. Someone who has learned from John Elway, coached Steve Young, and molded Plummer could surely fix Carr. His offensive plays are simply genius. I wonder if he would come back to houston with his son playing at CSU?
TexanFanInDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #5
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'd have to know what Defensive scheme he'd want to run and who he'd want as a coordinator first.
Old 11-28-2005   #6
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Kubiak would make a great choice. He is good enough for John Elway to listen to, he is good enough for our team.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #7
WaylonJennings67
Rookie

That'd be a good start.
WaylonJennings67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2005   #8
angeltexus
Rookie

Guys, Guys, what in the world have yall seen Kubiak do in his lifetime. Elway was great way before Gary was in the picture. Did you not see how Denver had no great offense for Dallas on Thanksgiving other than a lucky run. Any coach that can barely ( with luck) beat the Cowboys can not hold any reigns here in Texan Country.. Sorry don't hate, but we don't need another project coach.
angeltexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #9
COOL V
Rookie

Bring in Jimmy Johnson, now that guy shows some emotion and wins.
COOL V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

Kubiak has 3 superbowl rings, two with Denver one with SF. He has been around and learned from some of the greatest offensive minds in the game. He has coached some of the best QBs ever and all they say about him is he puts you in a posistion to succeed. Kubiak, B. Shottenheimer, Dennison, Hoke or agressive young DC, Marciano.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #11
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Kubiak has 3 superbowl rings, two with Denver one with SF. He has been around and learned from some of the greatest offensive minds in the game. He has coached some of the best QBs ever and all they say about him is he puts you in a posistion to succeed. Kubiak, B. Shottenheimer, Dennison, Hoke or agressive young DC, Marciano.
All good points about Kubiak. My only question is why hasn't someone given him a chance already? Does the leaque know something we don't?
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #12
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Kubiak Or Cameron would be good picks for this franchise
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #13
Jagsman28
Rookie

What about the Mooch? He did wonders for the 49ers, he could possibly be a good fit for the texans..

Glad we have JDR. Hes turned our pretty well
Jagsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Gary Kubiak personally , he's my stepdad's cousin , they pretty much grew up together and he visits them often in the offseason .

The conversation about coaching the Texans HAS come up in our conversations and he would definately CONSIDER the job (this was prior to this season) .

That being said I think he would be one of the top prospects for the position . Main reason being he's familiar with the type of blocking scheme the Texans have run the past two seasons . That would be a huge plus for the O-line to be able to run the same basic scheme .... not changing a whole lot of their responsibilities up front .

Another reason ... Look at what he's done with Jake Plummer over the past three seasons in Denver compared to those years he spent in Arizona .
His Average QB rating over the past three seasons is 89.4 compared to 68.366 in his 6 seasons w/ the Cardinals .

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1003 Plumber

Those numbers are a pretty drastic difference .... He quite possibly could turn Carr's numbers around . (73.9 for his career including what APPEARS to be a respectable 79.9 on paper for this season )

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268 Carr

He's a QB by trade , he understands the importance of pass protection and how it can affect his QB . As well as the running game in the grand scheme of things . I seriously doubt the offense would be .... could be nearly as stagnant as it is under Dom Capers .

It could be a nice story , something along the lines of Garner taking over the Astro's and taking them to the doorstep of a champoinship the past two years . Hometown Hero so to speak ....

There are huge questionmarks behind Kubiak becoming a head coach .... How would he handle the responsibility of being a head coach ?..... Would he hold his players accountable ?.....How would he handle the defensive side of things ? .... Can he motivate them to play their best ?

(I posted something along the lines of this back in pre-season and the thread was deleted , not sure why but never bothered to re-post it until it was brought up again) ((Maybe Dom is a MOD ?!?! ))

I Miss Good Schaub.

Last edited by Corrosion; 11-29-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be a blunderto bring in a head coach just for the sake of turing around one person's career. I saw more talent in Plummer as a Cardinal than I see with Carr as a Texan.
Old 11-29-2005   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

if by one person you mean carr, i think you've conveniently forgotten denver's turnstyle at RB. apparently he's figured something out because whoever gets behind his front 5 do very well for themselves. i'm all for kubiak being in charge, and if john lynch says "he can bring the hammer" on those not performing, that's good enough for me.

"Does Gary Kubiak deserve a head coaching job in the NFL?" CBS analyst Phil Simms asks. "My God, yes".

"Where's the outcry? Gary doesn't seek publicity. He's quietly done a great job."

He can bring that most elusive quality of offensive balance to places in dire need such as Houston and St. Louis.

Kubiak turned down the University of Colorado head coaching job during Denver's late 1990s run to two Super Bowls because he didn't want the program to have to wait on a coach who's commitment to his team wouldn't be over until February.

"Gary's been mentioned for a handful of jobs over the last few years," Titans general manager Floyd Reese says. "He's done such a great job with a great organization working under Mike, a great mentor, he didn't feel the need to take the first thing that came along.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-corbett_x.htm
Old 11-29-2005   #17
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious G
I think it's safe to assume Capers and his staff are gone as soon as the regular season is done. I also would hope Casserly joins that carpool.

Of all the names being tossed around as a possible replacement, does anyone else feel Denver's offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak is the right choice?

He's a local guy (St. Pius HS, Texas A&M) and a proven winner. Although he's been involved in the Denver organization for such a long time, I think he's definitely a top candidate for a head coaching position. I'd have to think the Texans (if he doesn't feel they're beyond salvagable) would be on the top of his list.
I like the guy - he knows how to put an O line together as well which will get the best from both Carr and DD.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm skeptical about him because you never know how a relative 'behind the scenes' guy is going to perform when thrust into the spotlight. When you reach that level, personality and leadership style become very important. Not every Lieutenant is fit to be a General, no matter how talented they are.

Kubiak interviewed for the Texans head coaching position in 2001.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #19
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I'm skeptical about him because you never know how a relative 'behind the scenes' guy is going to perform when thrust into the spotlight. When you reach that level, personality and leadership style become very important. Not every Lieutenant is fit to be a General, no matter how talented they are.

Kubiak interviewed for the Texans head coaching position in 2001.
I guess they went with Capers because of his experience in coaching an expansion franchise.
He'd learnt from his mistakes with the Panthers and I belive up until the end of year 3 everything was going to plan. (Except against the Browns!!)
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #20
NativeJPR
Rookie

Default Kubiak Texans HC

You won't get any arguement out of me, I like it.
NativeJPR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read