Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-28-2005   #1
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default Let's just all agree that we disagree

No matter what the Texans do in the draft next year, no one here is going to be 100% happy about it. Some say take Leinart, Bush, Young, D'Brick, and on and on.

But it's simply not our choice to make, but we can sure argue about it till it happens...

I vote for Mel Kiper for GM, LOL........ Best evaluation of talent I have ever seen....
Old 11-28-2005   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The disagreements are what makes it interesting.
Old 11-28-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan

I vote for Mel Kiper for GM, LOL........ Best evaluation of talent I have ever seen....
Kiper admits he isn't a talent evaluator...he just has great contacts and passes on good information.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #4
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Kiper is very knowledgable and one of the reasons I like watching the NFL Draft. How far away is that again?? lol

Old 11-28-2005   #5
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

I think we take the best player possible wether it is a QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, or whatever with a new general manager.

But, yes, If I were the GM I would take Bush with the first pick in the draft, no matter what team I was in charge of.
Old 11-28-2005   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
I think we take the best player possible wether it is a QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, or whatever with a new general manager.

But, yes, If I were the GM I would take Bush with the first pick in the draft, no matter what team I was in charge of.
So you will have #1 money at QB (DC) and RB (Bush) and #3 money with a WR (AJ) on your team knowing full well that either our line, QB, or WR do not mesh with another. Moreover, we do have issues on D. Are you running to be mayor of salary cap hell?
Old 11-28-2005   #7
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
So you will have #1 money at QB (DC) and RB (Bush) and #3 money with a WR (AJ) on your team knowing full well that either our line, QB, or WR do not mesh with another. Moreover, we do have issues on D. Are you running to be mayor of salary cap hell?
This is only your opinion. I have watched the Texans every single game they have ever played and the o-line is getting better and better. We need a RB that can take the heat off of the QB period. DD is NOT that guy and never will be.
Old 11-28-2005   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is only your opinion. I have watched the Texans every single game they have ever played and the o-line is getting better and better. We need a RB that can take the heat off of the QB period. DD is NOT that guy and never will be.
Yeah DD is not an explosive back but he is a good value. He has run for 1000 yard seasons and caught a lot of passeswith either a bad QB, bad line or bad WR's. The net of it is that he has done this when the opponent's defense has been able to put 8 in the box.
Old 11-28-2005   #9
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Yeah DD is not an explosive back but he is a good value. He has run for 1000 yard seasons and caught a lot of passeswith either a bad QB, bad line or bad WR's. The net of it is that he has done this when the opponent's defense has been able to put 8 in the box.
Why cant we trade away Davis if we get Bush?
Old 11-28-2005   #10
mj.
Rookie

Trading (or cutting) DD causes a $8.4M cap charge becuase he got that extension in the offseason.
mj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcougar08
Why cant we trade away Davis if we get Bush?
Technically we could, but if you draft Bush before you trade Davis you are showing your cards and will not get the value that is warranted for Davis.

I just feel that Davis is the least of our issues.
Old 11-28-2005   #12
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

Hopefully we wont have Big money behind Carr hopefully we will let him hit free agency and he will see what he is worth. wich would be about 1 million a year if he gets lucky. and hell for a million i hope we resign him im just not happy with david trying to Steal From the Texans wich is what he would be doing if the texans pick up his BONEUS.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Good point. Was Emmitt Smith an explosive RB? No, but look at the numbers he put up behind one of the best offensive lines of all time and with a complete offense and a stellar defense around him. I see Davis as an Emmitt Smith-type RB that could put up that kind of production if we built the team better and used him properly.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #14
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Good point. Was Emmitt Smith an explosive RB? No, but look at the numbers he put up behind one of the best offensive lines of all time and with a complete offense and a stellar defense around him. I see Davis as an Emmitt Smith-type RB that could put up that kind of production if we built the team better and used him properly.
Never in a hundred years. Let's see. Against a Rams D that is one of the worst in the league, he had something like 15 carries for only 44 yds if I remember correctly. I was at the game and not watching TV, so i am not sure. But he is a backup RB at best...

And please, don't compare DD to E Smith...... Give me a break...
Old 11-28-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is only your opinion. I have watched the Texans every single game they have ever played and the o-line is getting better and better.
At what? The Texans this last game just barely started peeking out from the turtle shell of a pee-wee league drop and throw offense they have been trying to run in order to get to a non-laughingstock level at pass protection. In the mean time the run blocking is now significantly below par. This is somewhat understandable with all the changes to the OL, but nonetheless, the run blocking is bad.

Disclaimer--recognition that the Texans' OL still sucks is not the same thing is saying Carr or DD are steller, good, average, mediocre or anything else. It is a comment about the OL.
Old 11-28-2005   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Never in a hundred years. Let's see. Against a Rams D that is one of the worst in the league, he had something like 15 carries for only 44 yds if I remember correctly. I was at the game and not watching TV, so i am not sure. But he is a backup RB at best...

Well he did score a TD off a pass yesterday. He did win a Rookie of the Year award. He has rushed over 1,000 yards in his first two seasons. You know what, you are right this kid cannot play at all.
Old 11-28-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj.
Trading (or cutting) DD causes a $8.4M cap charge becuase he got that extension in the offseason.
Where do you get that number? DD's contract was 5 years with a signing bonus that comes to $1.1 mil per year. Cutting or trading him after the season will have about a $4.4 mil hit.
Old 11-28-2005   #18
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah he was running against a bad Rams defense, but look at our offense. Give Davis the Dallas offensive line of old and he would be a heck of a lot better. Davis could start for about half the teams in the league. Not that he would, but he could if those teams didn't have their current back.

Also, I don't think he was comparing their abilities, just the fact that they have similar (not the same but similar) running styles. Even if he did compare them how can you get upset about that and not about comparing Bush to Sanders. Seeing as how we have no idea how well Bush will do in the NFL I think Davis/Smith is actually easier to accept.

That said I think we can fill more holes if we trade down but I won't be upset if we do end up drafting Bush. There is no doubt he is a playmaker and would help this team in one way or another.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #19
Peldon
All Pro

Rep Power: 33 Peldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respectedPeldon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Where do you get that number? DD's contract was 5 years with a signing bonus that comes to $1.1 mil per year. Cutting or trading him after the season will have about a $4.4 mil hit.
That could still hurt if we end up having to pay a hefty contract to the first overall pick.
Peldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #20
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Let's look at it a different way then, shall we?

Year before the 3 top picks in the draft were E Manning, P Rivers, and a stud tackle named R Gallery. Now the team that wanted Eli so bad, they gave up another 1 st round pick to get him. The team that took the tackle over him, is having a losing season. That will be us next year if we do the crazy...

1 O-Linemen is not gonna make or break us with the draft this year being so deep. All we need to do is keep our wits about us, draft smart this year and the years coming, I have always said it, offense wins games. defense just keeps em close. If 1 o-linemen could do that, then right now Oakland would be making a serious run at the playoffs, instead they are just trying to beat lousy teams... Nuff said...

Another example'

Take the pro bowl where the best of the best play. Can you tell me that the best linemen in the business are so jelled togeather in only 1 game that no one could beat them? No way. It takes time for a line to come into it's own. Ours is slowly but surely getting there. I think that with the right coaching and play calling, we will and do have a good line. I still blame the coaches and not the players.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read