Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2005   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default Be Honest

How many of you are glad we lost yesterday's game? We definitely had more to gain by losing. I personally wanted us to play a close game and lose, but I found myself rooting for us anyways when it hit crunch time. It really is difficult to root against your own team.
Old 11-28-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
How many of you are glad we lost yesterday's game? We definitely had more to gain by losing. I personally wanted us to play a close game and lose, but I found myself rooting for us anyways when it hit crunch time. It really is difficult to root against your own team.
I wanted to win, but the result that truly mattered to me was that we compete and see individuals get an opportunity to perform. I felt we got that.
Old 11-28-2005   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed the first half more than I expected I would. It was really fun to sit back, watch the game, and pretend the Texans weren't the worst team in football.

Then at halftime I got up and went out with my wife to run some errands. I was positive that they would find a way to blow this game and I didn't want to watch it happen. Sure enough when I turned the radio back to it the Rams had just scored the winning TD in overtime.

I should have felt bad about it but I didn't. I didn't feel happy or relieved that we hadn't blown the first overall pick in the draft. I just didn't feel anything other than a slight "I knew that would happen".
Old 11-28-2005   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's a terrible thing to say, but you asked for honesty ... yes i was glad they lost. more bad than good can happen if we start winning games at this point. losing means that capers, fangio, pendry, & casserly have less chance of being in houston next year. it means that our draft choice improves. and it means ownership starts taking this thing a little more seriously.

right now we have no chance at the playoffs, no chance at a winning season, and noone with potential of going to the probowl this year. winning wont change those facts, but it could possibly mess up any chance we have at fixing things for next year. like i said, that's a terrible way to feel, but there ya go.
Old 11-28-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The season is way too short....I want this team to win every week....As I grow older and know that sometimes you can be a fan for 40 years of a franchise and never see your favorite team in the World Series or Super Bowl, so I do enjoy good credible NFL football on a weekly basis because I understand that every year just won't be a push for the big game. I hate watching bad football on Sunday. Praying for miserable football so we can make a high pick in the next draft just reeks of the old Bengals. I'm out on that program. There are plenty of good football players coming out in each draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly I think some of you people or either very crazy or very ignorant of the definition of what it means to 'Root for a favorite team'.

I was upset yesterday, I am still upset today, and I HONESTLY wanted to win, just like I do every Sunday beginning at kickoff.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #7
abbest
Veteran

That was the best second half adjustment the Texans made all season. Just when they are about to win and screw up their chance at the second coming of Barry Sanders/Gale Sayers someone had a stroke of genius and they laid down the second half. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2005   #8
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

never glad we lose a game
Old 11-28-2005   #9
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbest
That was the best second half adjustment the Texans made all season. Just when they are about to win and screw up their chance at the second coming of Barry Sanders/Gale Sayers someone had a stroke of genius and they laid down the second half. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's the way I saw it too. Don't blame the players for this loss, blame the coaches...
Old 11-28-2005   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was NOT glad they lost yesterday...matter-of-fact, I was pissed off during my escape from the stadium after the game.

Yesterday was a perfectly good offensive performance completely ruined by one of the most pathetic defenses I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

If I wasn't so darned intent on letting my emotional baggage go (no doubt a defensive reflex from the 35-3 shock oh-so-many-years-ago), I'd still be pissed off and disgusted today.

I will NEVER root against my team, and I don't give a rats behind what we stand to gain by losing. It means nothing to me during the regular season. Silver liners are for losers to contemplate when the season is over....a "consolation prize", if you will.
Old 11-28-2005   #11
abbest
Veteran

Quote:
Personally I am too Competitive to be glad to lose. But you have a point. If anything be consistent and win later by losing now. Rockets did it and won 2 championships
abbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was actually sad the Texans lost the game yesterday & nobody is a bigger draft fanatic than me. since the player(s) the Texans need are offensive tackles and guards it would almost make more sense to finish somewhere around the 5th pick anyway so that Casserly could not mess things up and lose both Winston & Ferguson by trading too far out of their range. It always makes me a little sad when the Texans lose, especially when they give it away :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have the loss than beat a 3rd string QB lead team with a crappy defense.

Even if we did win, all we would hear is, we beat a banged up team, with a rookie QB, and a horrid secondary.

But if we won, I would be happy. Not upset that we are losing ground in the draft.

We are being honest right?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #14
Tyr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
honestly I think some of you people or either very crazy or very ignorant of the definition of what it means to 'Root for a favorite team'.
I think this is all about perspective for some. The way I am reading many posts, many people believe that losing may be the best thing for this team right now. They are afraid that winning may lower the chances for the necessary changes to be made to right the ship. With this, they are rooting for the long term success of this team which they believe can only happen if we continue losing for the remainder of the season.

It is definitely a twisted way to root for your 'favorite team', but it is clear many are fed up with the current regime.

No one wants to see their team losing per say, but if we suddenly won out, would that make management wonder if this could carry over into next season and forego any changes?
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #15
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The season is way too short....I want this team to win every week....As I grow older and know that sometimes you can be a fan for 40 years of a franchise and never see your favorite team in the World Series or Super Bowl, so I do enjoy good credible NFL football on a weekly basis because I understand that every year just won't be a push for the big game. I hate watching bad football on Sunday. Praying for miserable football so we can make a high pick in the next draft just reeks of the old Bengals. I'm out on that program. There are plenty of good football players coming out in each draft.

My senitments exactly Vinny!! I pay high dollar to watch my team at least TRY to win each Sunday, not watch my team lose so that all these couch coaches can argue about who to get in the draft. This has been a terrible year for both my favorite teams, so I'm not always in the best of moods on Monday, that's for sure! BUT, I always pull for my teams to WIN, that's what football is all about!! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #16
SESupergenius

It makes me sick when this team loses. They need to win and being the 1st selection in the draft is not a glorious position and it provides no guarantees.
Old 11-28-2005   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Not only that, noone is for sure to take their team to the promise land. You want your guys who are still fighting to show if they have a chance next year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #18
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
1st selection in the draft is not a glorious position and it provides no guarantees.
aint that the truth
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #19
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I enjoyed the first half more than I expected I would. It was really fun to sit back, watch the game, and pretend the Texans weren't the worst team in football.

Then at halftime I got up and went out with my wife to run some errands. I was positive that they would find a way to blow this game and I didn't want to watch it happen. Sure enough when I turned the radio back to it the Rams had just scored the winning TD in overtime.

I should have felt bad about it but I didn't. I didn't feel happy or relieved that we hadn't blown the first overall pick in the draft. I just didn't feel anything other than a slight "I knew that would happen".
I felt almost exactly like you said here - It reminded me almost to a T of the Debacle in Buffalo with the Oilers years ago. Almost the same thing - Backup QB leads their team to victory after our team gets up by a monster amount in the first half. IT was almost like watching history repeat itself all over again - I was without a doubt very dissapointed in the defense yesterday.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 11-28-2005 at 02:46 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #20
DatTexBoy
Veteran

I don't care if you guys are pissed off and you probably don't care that I am glad we did lose. I feel like the more we lose and then in the fashion that we did this past Sunday guarantees the oust of Capers and hopefully Casserly. This IS the worst team in football right now. Winning a few games at the end and losing the Reggie Bush sweepstakes and placing doubt in Mr. McNair's head that maybe we should keep the bone-headed coaches would be as big as a mistake as trading for Buchanon and trading for Babin.
DatTexBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read