Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2005   #1
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Default carr looked great in 1st half

how can you blame him for this loss? we stopped being aggressive. blame the coaches. i can't believe the coaching staff doesn't shoulder the blame to give the players a break.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Is it just me, or could you feel the suckiness of our coaches when we came out after halftime? I could sense we would somehow lose this one and our coaches did a superb job of doing so.

Also, Wells should start, he has fire in his belly, Davis looks half asleep.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The INT was DD's fault.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #4
touttail
All Pro

I totally disagree. Carr look good, but far from great. I saw at least 4 balls overthrown his WR's. He still has the jitters(happy feet) in the pocket.

bobby 119C:brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #5
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Yeah and 3 dropped passes. Ive seen Favre overthrow people, it just happens. Still, I had a sick feeling about this game at half.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #6
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

On the plus side, this is classic pre-05 Texans football... look great going into the 2nd half, then die.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #7
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshorebevo
how can you blame him for this loss? we stopped being aggressive. blame the coaches. i can't believe the coaching staff doesn't shoulder the blame to give the players a break.

Carr had a good first half but honestly speaking it was a weak defense he was playing Carr has proven he cant play againts a real nfl caliber defense the rams secondary was so depleted that even heath shuler could of passed for 1000 on them.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

david carr was great today...our defense was good for sacks but once again we cannot create a turnover to save our life...all we had to do on defense was secure the win after halftime and we couldn't do that...one big play after another...piss poor tackling...i almost think we need dick butkus to come in here and be our defensive coordinator...screw the system get back to the way the game is supposed to be played on defense...learn to freakin tackle!!!!
Old 11-27-2005   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
david carr was great today...
He finally looked like an average NFL quarterback against a very, very bad defense.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

The coaching staff finally gave Carr a chance to show what he could do today and he came through. True it was one of the worse defenses, but still the OC has not called this many pass plays and plays that spread the field out and give him a chance to make a play, usually they are ducking for a sideline after 2-3 yards. He still looked good in the 2nd half but we didn't have the ball as much and they were trying to run more to take time off the clock. For the most part I thought he looked much better as he stayed in the pocket and made strong, accurate throws for most of the game, and the few times he ducked out of the pocket he ran for some productive gains. I'll have to watch the game again tomorrow on tape to get my final impressions of it, but I thought Carr performed well and looked very good and confident doing it. I just wish our coaches had given him this opportunity earlier in the year.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #11
phan1
All Pro

I only listened to the game on the radio, but it seemed like we did good in the 2nd half too! I don't remember us going 3 and out in the 2nd half. We ate up yards, got first downs, it looked like we did just fine in the 2nd half. We just had bad luck that our defense couldn't overcome. We missed a field goal, and we had a turnover in the red zone. Our defense just couldn't make any plays in the 2nd half.

I felt our offense did just fine in the 2nd half picking up yards, getting 1st downs, and running the clock down. Our defense just played PATHETIC in the 2nd half. Our defense choked in the 2nd half, not the offense or Carr.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The main thing I saw throughout the game was how well Carr can play when he is protected. The Rams D stunk, but ours stunk worse. In the second half, we stopped pressuring the Rams QB and gave time for Holt and Bruce to get open. Plus, there were a lot of bad moments that didn't swing our way. Coleman losing the interception was one of them. Smith's stupid roughing the passer penalty also led to another Rams TD. No. 42 losing the ball like that on the on-side kick...this could go on. The second half was terrible, but there were a lot of other players on this team, not just Carr.

BTW - Did anyone else see the look on DD's face when we lost the on-side kick? That's the worst case of ojo that I have seen in a while...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #13
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Here is the bottom line for me.
I am not going to consider Carr's performance wether it be pleasant or otherwise until we have a true "Pass protecting" OL. If think we will draft an OT and move Pitts to the other side, then it will hopefully give us pass protection on the outside and run blocking on the inside. Then we might be able to see what Carr is able to do with a new OL, offensive coordinator, and HC. At that point, there will be no excuses for Carr.
Old 11-28-2005   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I am not going to consider Carr's performance wether it be pleasant or otherwise until we have a true "Pass protecting" OL. If think we will draft an OT and move Pitts to the other side, then it will hopefully give us pass protection on the outside and run blocking on the inside. Then we might be able to see what Carr is able to do with a new OL, offensive coordinator, and HC. At that point, there will be no excuses for Carr.
does he get to become the owner too?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #15
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Right on the money. O-line has played somewhat better the past few games, but it still needs upgrading and repairs. Until that happens, all those lobbying for Leinhert will be in for a disppointment. B/c no QB would be any different from Carr back there.
Old 11-28-2005   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Did he do anything Stupid?? I mean we could have much worse than Carr. The kids got an arm, he's got the will to win, and he's not stupid. I think Carr can be doing alot better than the Houston Texans, and he'd be stupid(though I'd love it) if he decided to stay in Houston. The QB is not the problem, and that is one position you don't want to be trying to fill, while you are building a team.

I saw in this game, what I thought I was going to see all year. A team that was competitive, and explosive. DD had a good game, Wells was awesome, Andre is a stud, and he showed it..........Gafney didn't have his best game, if he did......we'd have won. Carr looked great, and I do mean Great, and the O-Line looked really good.
What this game has shown, is that the Houston Texans have been playing way out of their league........IMHO, it's about the players.

I'm disappointed. But McNair can change all that this season. Take a leason from that team a little ways north.......Last year, their owner said something to the effect, that with Free Agency and the Salary cap, the NFL is structured in such a way to allow teams to leapfrog from one year to the next. As a result, in just two years, there is 4, maybe six players still on the roster, and they are a very competitive team.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan
O-line has played somewhat better the past few games, but it still needs upgrading and repairs.
Exactly right. It may be more accurate to say they have pass blocked better in the last few games. The run blocking was poor this game.

Davis ran 25 times for 78 yards - a 3.1 yards/carry average. This is bad enough, but he had two runs (12 and 13 yards) that accounted for 25 yards of his total. Admittedly the line opened some big holes on these two runs.

For his remaining 23 runs he gained 53 yards - 2.3 yards/carry. That is very poor; for the vast majority of his runs he didn't even average 2.5 yards.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr looked very good in the first half or was it the OLine that looked very good and it is just that Carr made plays? I happen to think that the Oline played well and Carr had his best perfromance of his career in the first half.

Yes Davis had only 70+ yards rushing, but would we be gloating about Carr as much if Davis did not make a great catch and run for the second TD of the game?
Old 11-28-2005   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't saying Davis had a bad game - I was saying that the offense is set up to protect Carr and everything else is secondary, including run blocking.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I wasn't saying Davis had a bad game - I was saying that the offense is set up to protect Carr and everything else is secondary, including run blocking.
My comments then were misdirected towards your statements. However, they do stand on anyone who wants to indict DD but will celebrate Carr's perfromance in yesterday's game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read