Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-23-2005   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 21772 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Texans season and off-season to do list

For the rest of the season, they just need to keep doing everything the exact same way and continue losing. Dont put in tony banks or try anything new. just play the exact same way you've been playing. Get the first overall pick.

In the offseason, first get a great offensive player, Reggie Bush,Matt Leinart, Vince Young etc. Then, get rid of Gary Walker and use the money to get a young, and much better defensive player in the draft. Mcnair needs to fire everybody on the staff(Dom Capers,Charlie Cassidy, and whoever else) and hire some real winners. Once you have a successful draft and offseason, it will be time for a new and improved texans team in 2006.
Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #2
txhoosier
Veteran

no mention of improving the offensive line, huh?

I'm not saying that I think the Coaches are OK, I think coaching changes are unavoidable at this point, but the O-line is where changes need to be made. The offense is full of studs. Andre, DD, Carr (yes, Carr. Although it's going to take a heck of a coach to "untrain" him from being so scared when he hears those footsteps. The Texans might even consider a personal shrink for him to hypnotize him before games). You don't need to draft a great offensive player.

As far as the defense goes...they were stupid for hiring Fangio in the first place. Why do you think the Colts let him go? His schemes are too complex, and far to unsuccessful for any decent player to try and figure them out.

Buchanon is a bust...and the change of scenery didn't help him one bit, but I would wait to see if a coaching change is able to get any more out of him before I would call the project a total waste of a good trade.
Old 11-23-2005   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Rep Power: 21772 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected

"Buchanon is a bust...and the change of scenery didn't help him one bit, but I would wait to see if a coaching change is able to get any more out of him before I would call the project a total waste of a good trade."

Buchanon has been a huge problem that i think management needs to change. We have to use the rest of our draft picks to improve the offensive line and defense. To get a top offensive lineman, we might have to trade up for another early draft pick.
Old 11-23-2005   #4
txhoosier
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedtexansfan513
"Buchanon is a bust...and the change of scenery didn't help him one bit, but I would wait to see if a coaching change is able to get any more out of him before I would call the project a total waste of a good trade."

Buchanon has been a huge problem that i think management needs to change. We have to use the rest of our draft picks to improve the offensive line and defense. To get a top offensive lineman, we might have to trade up for another early draft pick.
I'm not sure if I agree with your assessment of Buchanon. The athletic ability is there...I think he just needs someone who can get through that thick mess that is his attitude, and get him to understand what he needs to do play after play.

I wouldn't give up on him until you at least TRY and find the coach that best matches his personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
My bad...it must of slipped my mind. Just like it slipped McNair's, Capers', and Cass' in 2003, 2004, and 2005.
LOL.
Old 11-23-2005   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
My bad...it must of slipped my mind. Just like it slipped McNair's, Capers', and Cass' in 2003, 2004, and 2005.
Palmer? Chris Palmer, is that you?
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #6
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For the rest of the season, they just need to keep doing everything the exact same way and continue losing. Dont put in tony banks or try anything new. just play the exact same way you've been playing. Get the first overall pick.

In the offseason, first get a great offensive player, Reggie Bush,Matt Leinart, Vince Young etc. Then, get rid of Gary Walker and use the money to get a young, and much better defensive player in the draft. Mcnair needs to fire everybody on the staff(Dom Capers,Charlie Cassidy, and whoever else) and hire some real winners. Once you have a successful draft and offseason, it will be time for a new and improved texans team in 2006.
Boy, am I glad YOU aren't in charge! This is a recipe for turning the Texans into the AFC version of the Arizona Cardinals for years to come!
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If any change is made, keep the coaching staff and get rid of Buchanaon. The coaching staff showed some improvement every year for three years. Davis wouldn't have gotten rid of Buchanon if he could play.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2005   #8
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Are you a relative or friend of Casserly or any of the coaches? Those guys are FINISHED at the end of the season, and deservedly so. They've driven the team into the ditch and need to be shown the door. We need a GM and coaches who know what they're doing, not the incompetent morons we have right now.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

bobo is a long time Titan fan at titan central

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/v...nscentral/Bobo

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #10
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoosier
no mention of improving the offensive line, huh?
I've now settled to the point where maybe everything is coaching and bad personnel decisions. Who knows if some new GM and coaching staff that can actually harvest talent and potential could come in here and make good football players out of some of these guys that we all consider questionable.

Don't think I'm crazy. Bradford, Hollings and Buchanon still have to go.
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterticket
I've now settled to the point where maybe everything is coaching and bad personnel decisions. Who knows if some new GM and coaching staff that can actually harvest talent and potential could come in here and make good football players out of some of these guys that we all consider questionable.

Don't think I'm crazy. Bradford, Hollings and Buchanon still have to go.
I agree with you, I'd rather draft playmakers because you can never have enough, and another coach may be able to fix our o-line problems...
Old 11-23-2005   #12
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Default The Most Dramatic offseason

It will take the most dramatic offseason of any nfl team in a very long time to turn this franchise around and get the fans reinterested. Nothing much else to say.
Old 11-23-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It will take the most dramatic offseason of any nfl team in a very long time to turn this franchise around and get the fans reinterested. Nothing much else to say.
Not really because dramatic turnarounds are really rather routine in the NFL and happen on a regular basis. The only thing our team needs for this to
happen is for the owner to make a few but very important decisions in the
next couple of months in the area of personnel management.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #14
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd love to ditch Casserly but i dont know where to go. There will most definately be a coaching change barring the team winning it out in dramatic fashion (very unlikely)

The route i like the most with David Carr that makes the most sense, is allow him to become a free agent then hit him with the Transition Tag. If someone gives him an offer we have the right of first refusal and get a 1st rounder for him. If no one does then he gets a 1 year deal of around 6 million or so, kinda like an extension year. I think giving him 1 more year is gonna be just the best thing, he was a 1st overall pick on an expansion team its worth another look and allows us to move to the draft with a more sure plan.

Speaking of the draft. As i said with holding onto Carr, that removes linart from the equation. I don't think D'brickshaw Furgeson is going to be the savior everyone claims. that leaves Reggie Bush. I'm all for another Bush in Houston. Dom Davis can be traded for a mid round pick, he just isn't as explosive and has too many injury concerns, if we are going to have a smallish back might as well make him a homerun hitter. At that point i'd go BPA.

Free agency wise we have to make improvements at the tackle position. Doesn't matter how. The wide reciever and tight end position need some more talent. The defense is a mess. A new coach probably means a departure from the 3-4 defense which in our experience has been a mess. But what kind of personell do we have for a 4-3? I think Robaire Smith and Travis Johnson play as tackles, but so does Seth Payne. Babin can go back to playing DE, we can find a 4th lineman either in the draft or free agency. Linebackers are a mess as is the corner back position. Unless we can pull some amazing haul this offseason, or players mature and buy into the program we are gonna have an issue with the defense. The offense seems slightly easier to fill.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #15
Shamrock
Rookie

How to fix the Texans

1. Fire Casserly and Capers

2. Hire Pat Kirwan as the GM.

3. Hire Chargers offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, as the next Houston HC.

4. Draft Reggie Bush.

5. Draft OL in the second round. One or two of the top 5 OT's should be available at the top of round two.

6. Sign a couple reasonable priced FA offensive linemen.

~~~~~~~~~~

I see the biggest problems as lack of addressing some needs (OL) and overall discipline in the team's play. Those two areas reflect directly on Casserly and Capers.

Cam Cameron's offense uses motion, formation and shifts to get matchups, and to force the defense to defend both vertically and horizontally. He frequently uses end arounds and reverses - or the threat of them - to create space within the tackles in the running game.

Simply adding Reggie Bush will help the offensive line, which in turn directly helps David Carr. The defense won't be able to stack the box in the running game, with threats of quick pitches and passes to Bush that will stretch the defense the width of the field. Lining Bush up in the slot, yet being able to shift him into the backfield with Davis, creates more options and less predictable play calling. Bush should be used as both a runner and WR. While in the backfield with Davis, counters and veers will be hugely effective.

This won't make the Texans AFC Championship contenders overnight, but will make them competitive in '06, and on the path towards becoming a playoff team within a couple years. Keeping Casserly and Capers is only going to lengthen the pain for Texans fans.

Lastly, if the Texans wind up with the overall #1 or #2 pick in the draft, the only way they shouldn't take Reggie Bush is if some team offers them a King's Ransom in return compensation. Nothing short of two #1's (2006 draft #1 must be top 5-10 pick) and two #2's PLUS a young player or two. Bush is that good to command that much value. I don't think Leinart is that good, but he is the only QB that is first round quality.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

What about improving the defense? We do have the worst run defense in the NFL!! I think we might need to address that situation too.
Old 11-24-2005   #17
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
How to fix the Texans

This won't make the Texans AFC Championship contenders overnight, but will make them competitive in '06.

Lastly, if the Texans wind up with the overall #1 or #2 pick in the draft, the only way they shouldn't take Reggie Bush is if some team offers them a King's Ransom in return compensation. Nothing short of two #1's (2006 draft #1 must be top 5-10 pick) and two #2's PLUS a young player or two. Bush is that good to command that much value. I don't think Leinart is that good, but he is the only QB that is first round quality.
I would settle for last season again when I knew they were middle of the road. Not this nightmare.

I agree with you on the whole Bush thing, but wouldn't they control the situation more by making a deal TO draft him and trading compensation picks?
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read