Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Pat Kirwan on Carr's Situation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9055466

Good synopsis on Carr's contract situation
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Best thing I have read on the subject to date. Nice catch tacoman.
Old 11-21-2005   #3
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Right on the money!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Then the Texans have until Feb. 19 to pick up the option bonus to keep him. "
If that information in this article is accurate, the date is different that what I've read up to now which is the Texans have to pick up Carr's option by the
end of the regular season, which would be about the end of the calendar year. This story therefor gives them 6 weeks more to pick up that option if they to choose to so.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the end of the season is defined by the Super Bowl or Pro Bowl.
Old 11-21-2005   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"Then the Texans have until Feb. 19 to pick up the option bonus to keep him. "
If that information in this article is accurate, the date is different that what I've read up to now which is the Texans have to pick up Carr's option by the
end of the regular season, which would be about the end of the calendar year. This story therefor gives them 6 weeks more to pick up that option if they to choose to so.
this would mean that a new coach and/or GM would have imput on the decision.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005   #7
SESupergenius

The official end of the season is usually in Feb.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2005   #8
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
this would mean that a new coach and/or GM would have imput on the decision.
Looks like it. And, that is the best news I've heard in a coons age!

I have stated that the next coach/gm should make the decision on DC in several posts and I still believe it. If the Texans have until Feb. 19, there should be enough time to make a hire.

Last edited by Wharton; 11-21-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article. I am with Pat Kirwan on this one. Put a transition tag on Carr and let him test the market.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
end of the regular season...
I don't think this is accurate. Casserly said last Friday that Carr's bonus would have to paid prior to the SF game for the option to kick in. Casserly has seen the contract and Kirwan has not. I'm going to believe Casserly.

If the Texans do not pickup the option, they could still re-sign Carr to a new contract prior to the free agency period. Of course, other teams would be in the mix to sign Carr then. The transistion tag number will likely go up due to Manning, Brady, and Vick's contracts increasing in value. Not likely that the average top ten QB contracts would be less than the $7.25 million cap hit Carr would have if the bonus is handed out in '05 and spread across 4 years rather than 3. And it's unlikley that Carr wouldn't come back will a contract that was designed to make it difficult for the Texans to match. Then, the Texans lose Carr without compensation. How many players can this team afford to lose without compensation?

Kirwan didn't mention another option, and that would re-negotiating an entirely new contract prior to the end of the season. Giving Carr a longer term contract, a two-tiered option, and lower base salaries would allow the Texans to be more aggressive in free agency next year.

Fact is Kirwan isn't advocating dumping Carr. Looking at the Texans options,(1) drafting Leinart and giving him a $25 million bonus, (2) trading the 1st pick for the unknown Phillip Rivers, (3) signing Josh McCown. Those aren't attractive alternatives. Yeah, the Texans need to look at all of their options as far as the contract is concerned, but they aren't dumping Carr.
Old 11-22-2005   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr is the highest-paid Texans player with a salary of $5.5 million and there isn't a player within $2 million of his salary.

I think this statement from the article is very telling of the talent or lack there-of on this team .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I think this statement from the article is very telling of the talent or lack there-of on this team .
I think it's more telling that Carr is ridiculously over paid for what he brings to the table.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #13
Almost Anybody
Rookie

Where is it written in stone that we have to take a Leinart or Young with the 1st pick if we do the right thing and tell Carr to take a hike?

Just hand the ball to Ragone or whoever, and start the job rebuilding this team. It's not as if we're going to be playoff bound anytime soon.
Almost Anybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit, that this sounds like a perfect situation for the transition tag. Carr gets street value, and not #1 overall pick value. If we want to match an offer from another team, which i doubt would be very high, we can. But if we let him go, we get compensation for the lost player.

Sounds like a win win to me.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #15
Frills
Veteran

I can just imagine what the Jets would pay a durable QB atm.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

I know that Capers and Casserly are gone at the end of the season so sit back and relax enjoy the rest of the season.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
I have to admit, that this sounds like a perfect situation for the transition tag. Carr gets street value, and not #1 overall pick value. If we want to match an offer from another team, which i doubt would be very high, we can. But if we let him go, we get compensation for the lost player.

Sounds like a win win to me.
The only problem with the transition tag is it let's cap games into the equation. A team like Philly or San Diego with $20 mil in cap space could sign Carr to a 3 year league minimum deal with an $8 mil roster bonus instead of signing bonus offer sheet. That would be one third the money in Carr's current 3 year option, but virtually the entire cap hit would go on 2006. That could be all or the vast majority of the Texans' cap space next year so then even though the contract is way, way cheaper (less than $3 mil per year instead of $8 mil) it becomes a poison pill. It still may be the best plan, but it certainly is not without pitfalls.
Old 11-22-2005   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The only problem with the transition tag is it let's cap games into the equation. A team like Philly or San Diego with $20 mil in cap space could sign Carr to a 3 year league minimum deal with an $8 mil roster bonus instead of signing bonus offer sheet. That would be one third the money in Carr's current 3 year option, but virtually the entire cap hit would go on 2006. That could be all or the vast majority of the Texans' cap space next year so then even though the contract is way, way cheaper (less than $3 mil per year instead of $8 mil) it becomes a poison pill. It still may be the best plan, but it certainly is not without pitfalls.
Good point. But even if we do "lose" Carr, you still get value for him in the form of draft picks.

I would like to keep Carr, but not for the current price, or any "poison pill" plans.

We can make our offer. Something that benefits both sides, and then see what the other teams offer. if its out of our leage, let him go, and draft Jay Cutler, or Omar Jacobs in the 2nd.

Win win
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #19
bigcarlos
Veteran

Pretty good article
bigcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #20
yaboycm
Veteran

WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL YEAR. I guess it takes someone on the national level for you guys to think this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read