Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where in the world did our defense go!?!

phan1

Rookie
The announcers asked us what is our "identity", and in my opinon, our identity has always been about being a defensive team. Our offense has never been particularly special, we've just had the ability to rely on our defense to come up big for us. And I am just shocked how bad we have mishandled our personnel on the defensive side of the ball. It's also shocking how bad our defense is considering Capers is our head coach, a guy that has always been a good defensive guy. I thought we would get better as the season went on, as we did last year and the year before that. But right now, we just SUCK.

Right now, I would do anthing to have the likes of Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn back. Not to mention a whole slew of guys who we let go who are playing very well with other teams such as Wright and Posey. I mean, our safties are non-existent, and the only guy who can make a tackle in our secondary is Dunta Robinson. Babin hasn't panned out to say the least considering what we paid for him, and Pat Buchanon has to be the stupidest personnel decision we have made in franchise history. And as for Greenwood's "speed" helping us out on defense, I hardly ever hear his name called (unlike Sharper's).

How did we go so wrong?!? We were in the top 3rd of the NFL in defense and we've been going downhill ever since. And it has to be Casserly's fault first of all, since the decline of talent is totally obvious. Capers has a history of being very good with the 3-4 D and I think he needs to take control of this defense.

The guys upfront are not wimps, Payne,Smith and Walker. They should be performing at a higher level than what I saw. They were not slidding off blocks to stop the run and our backers were not filling the holds. That is just basic defense.:confused:

we lost Aaron Glenn, Jamie Sharper, Kailee Wong, Marcus Coleman (well, he just lost it), the offense isn't on the field enough, the play-calling is conservative, there are no leaders(except Payne, but you need more than one), and Derrick Johnson is wearing a chiefs jersey. That 3rd round pick from the saints better do something. I remember last year we had two inside backers who would get everyone in place. now................we have rappers that can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Our defense is terrible because we don't have guys who tackle. All they do is clutch at air as a guy comes near them. There is no solid hitting style type defense so therefore we are never going to be in with of a chance of winning a game until that point is rectified 1st and foremost. Get that right and maybe with some solid defensive hitting we cause an actual turnover rather than a shock turnover like the Sanders INT! He seemed stunned for a minute as if he was thinking, "Wow, somehow I ended up with the ball, whoops! Shucks, better run somewhere with it now"...

what i find interesting is the comment the announcers made during the game. They said that Carr was asked what the team's identity is, and Carr said "i dont know, but i think we are a running team"

....our QB doesnt know what our goal is out there on the field... red flag.

He's right. The Texans are a running team. They just can't run block anymore. :cool: (Well, it's not like the can pass block any better.)

What happened to Wong? Where did he go? I just thought he was playing like crap and that's why I never his name.

HJam72 said:
He's right. The Texans are a running team. They just can't run block anymore. :cool: (Well, it's not like the can pass block any better.)

What happened to Wong? Where did he go? I just thought he was playing like crap and that's why I never his name.

Wong suffered a season-ending knee injury a couple games ago. He was playing respectably (it's all relative on this team) until the injury.

Back