Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2004   #41
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
yes but still the same defense and domanick had better yards and wasnt even starting! Hollings had the carries all to himself and couldnt muster 20 yards on the day behind the same o-line, and against the same defense.
Have you been reading. Ragone was starting that game and had 70 yards passing!!!!! It was a practice for the Jags....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #42
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think the key point here is that with Carr the Texans offense wasn't one dimensional. With Ragone, the offense was one dimensional. Thus, allowing the defense to key in and stop the run. Essientially, the Jags had 8 men in the box on every down compared to Davis facing 7 men in the box the majority of the time.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #43
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

that doesnt prove that they are fast, it proves they had excellent downfield blocking.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #44
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that Ragone had 51 yards rushing as well. As well as 2 fumbles, of which one he lost. Hollings also had a fumble that he lost too. The Jags defense had 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and one interception.

As for the game in Houston. Both Davis and Mack had fumbles that they lost, and Mack had 39 yards rushing and a TD. Does that make him better than Hollings & Davis as well? An elite back perhaps?

Last edited by texasguy346; 07-27-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2004   #45
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
that doesnt prove that they are fast, it proves they had excellent downfield blocking.
Yeah, but you have to be fast to get downfield and get by those blocks. DD wasnt that fast, against the Bengals he broke that 50 yarder but couldnt get pass AJ and Gaffney's blocks downfield. They were blocking for DD and kept pushing there guys back but DD couldnt get in front of the blocks and a guy caught him from behind....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 07-27-2004   #46
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

How did Stacy Mack get into this conversation? and YES Stacy Mack is better than Hollings RIGHT NOW, maybe not in the future, but now.
Old 07-27-2004   #47
texasguy346
Mod Squad

I include Mack to point out that its deceptive to try and point to one game as a precursor for an entire career. Just as it is deceptive to think that one 1000 yard season means Davis will become an elite back. The point is they both have potential. It's just that, at the moment, Hollings' upside seems to be greater. It's not a knock on Davis at all.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2004   #48
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

AJ and Gaff where NOT blocking 50 yards DOWNFIELD! thats just stupid. he got caught from behind by a 180lb CB. And DD isnt the fastest, but he has SOME speed. even the fastest backs can get caught from behind. Someone is always faster.
Old 07-27-2004   #49
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
AJ and Gaff where NOT blocking 50 yards DOWNFIELD! thats just stupid. he got caught from behind by a 180lb CB. And DD isnt the fastest, but he has SOME speed. even the fastest backs can get caught from behind. Someone is always faster.
Does anybody have that clip???? Because I clearly remember AJ driving his man downfield and DD not being able to blow by him. Maybe Gaff wasnt blocking, but I know AJ was blocking his man downfield...

Old 07-27-2004   #50
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Oh im sure AJ was blocking downfield, but there is no way that he was blocking his man 56 yards down field.
Old 07-27-2004   #51
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh im sure AJ was blocking downfield, but there is no way that he was blocking his man 56 yards down field.
The way I remember the play: AJ was moved in motion across the formation, i think, to the left from the right to help the TE's block down on the D-line, LBs, and the other saftey coming down into the box. It was 3rd and 1. Davis got by one guy and took off down field, but not before AJ took off and was chasing the saftey, that hadnt come down to blitz, to block him for DD. The saftey was taking an angle up the field because AJ was there and he knew he couldnt get DD with AJ in the way so he saw DD taking an angle towards the sideline and ran upfield to cut DD so he would have to go back to the middle of the field but AJ was too fast, caught up with him and was blocking him 40 yards down the field. DD couldnt get by AJ in time and the CB caught him from behind....

Old 07-27-2004   #52
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Dude, thats a what i call a photographic memory! but anyways, dude, you may be right but im just trying to tell yall, we have not seen anything from Hollings to say that he will take Domanicks job.
Old 07-27-2004   #53
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dude, thats a what i call a photographic memory! but anyways, dude, you may be right but im just trying to tell yall, we have not seen anything from Hollings to say that he will take Domanicks job.
I am saying all of this on potential. Yeah, we do have to see what Hollings can do but the Texans had to have seen something to give up a 2nd round pick to get him. Hollings has all the qualities, prototypical size, great speed and great acceleration, now we just have to see if he can bring everything together. I cant wait for camp!!!!

Old 07-27-2004   #54
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

AGREED! I have tix to the Dolphins Scrimage!
Old 07-27-2004   #55
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The way I remember the play: AJ was moved in motion across the formation, i think, to the left from the right to help the TE's block down on the D-line, ..
must have been one of the 6 times we actually used motion year last year.
Ediddy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #56
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

What's funny about all of this is that DD has the ES intangibles. He's not suppose to be able to get it done, but he does. Did ES dominate every game he played, NO. Will DD dominate every game he plays, NO.

BUT IT IS A STATED FACT THAT THE COACHING STAFF HAS CHANGED THE BLOCKING SCHEME TO BETTER TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DD's SKILL TO QUICKLY SEE HOLES WHERE EVER THEY ARE FOR A QUICK BURST THROUGH AND GET HIM IN THE SECONDARY WHERE HE RUNS OVER PEOPLE. IT SEEMS TO BE THEY HAVE VOTED AND RIGHT NOW DD IS THE WINNER.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #57
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

EXCELLENT POINT! I should have said that and this discussion would have been over a long time ago.
Old 07-27-2004   #58
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

They wouldnt change the offense to suit Domanick if they thought Tony would run away with the job.
Old 07-27-2004   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fred Taylor DO NOT have elite speed.
Are we talking about the same Fred Taylor? Fred Taylor is a speed RB with great size. He has the ability to take any given play to the house. Taylor can cut on a dime, is a dynamic presence between the tackles. One of his most dynamic traits is is speed and explosion. You lose crediblity points on that one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #60
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

What Do You Mean I Lost Credability Points? Me And Fiddy Were In Agreement. And His Hamstring Has A History Of Naggin Injuries, And Has Decreased The Speed And Explosion That He Might Have Had At Florida, But No More.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read